DIRTY SANTA '15: REVIVAL

Lyrai

Re: DIRTY SANTA '15: REVIVAL

Postby Lyrai » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:37 am

The big box of christmas cheer arrived. When I don't feel like absolute shit butt, I'll post pictures.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:43 pm

My camera blew up. Pretty much my luck these past few days.

So without further ado, pretend I put pictures here

One big huge box! Let's open it.

Dragon Age Inquisition! A PS4 game! This is superb.

A BUNCH of comics. Volumes 1, 2, 4, and 5 of Bravest Warriors. Is this your ploy to make me give them money, Kayma?!?

Volume 1 of Bee & Puppycat

Volumes 1-7 of Nausicaa!

Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon. Having little experience with western comics, my friends went nuts and said this was a great one to read. Okay.

A green toad! So I'm the third player then. Okay.

A barrel of monkeys!

Thanks Kayma!

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:54 pm

Aaaand OKAY

I didn't get any pictures of me opening this Christmas morn because this year was pretty nuts. Rest easy, I was mighty delighted.

Box is from forum bad boy Grath!

First out of the box are two Terry Pratchett... movies??? That's right ladies and gents, these are two straight-to-DVD adapations of Pratchett's wild-ass fantasy books, Going Postal and The Color of Magic. Somehow I get the feeling one of these is gonna end up on Outerheaven at some point.

Moist von Lipwig (Richard Coyle, Lorna Doone) is a con man and a charlatan—and he loves every minute of it. From confidence tricks to far-reaching financial fraud, von Lipwig revels in hoodwinking, fleecing, and otherwise ripping off the citizens of Ankh-Morpork. When the law finally catches up to him, the city’s shrewd leader, Lord Vetinari (Charles Dance, Game of Thrones), offers von Lipwig a choice: he can take over the derelict post office . . . or suffer a painful death.

The reluctant postmaster finds himself in charge of thousands of undelivered letters, commanding a charmingly deranged staff of misfits, and at odds with corrupt businessman Reacher Gilt (David Suchet, Agatha Christie’s Poirot), who will stop at nothing to crush his competition. Along the way, he falls under the spell of the icy Adora Dearheart (Claire Foy, Little Dorrit), much to her chagrin. In this delightful adaptation of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novel, Moist von Lipwig needs every ounce of his considerable charm and cunning to restore the post office, trounce Gilt, and win Adora’s affections.

Some wizards are born heroes. Others must fight for greatness, like failed sorcerer Rincewind (David Jason). When a gung-ho visitor to the Discworld (Oscar-Nominee Sean Astin, Lord of the Rings) enlists him as a guide, Rincewind learns that only he can take on dark wizard Trymon (Tim Curry) and restore balance to the troubled land. Based on Terry Pratchett’s classic story, this adventure is packed with angry Druids, Barbarians, fire breathing dragons and mountain trolls. Featuring Christopher Lee (Lord of the Rings) as the voice of Death, The Color of Magic proves that wizards need only one spell- as long as it’s the right one.

Actually never read or seen anything related to the much-beloved Discworld, so this should be cool to go into blind!

Next up:

What th-

Yes.

CHORUS
Now beavely Biggs doth render sharp, hard blast
Unto the evil Death Star's armor'd side.
The Empire's fire unto his mate hath pass'd,
And now Red Six doth face a troubl'd ride.

RED SIX
Disaster at me strikes.

BIGGS
—Eject, forsooth!

RED SIX
I yet may set it right.

BIGGS
—Anon, pull up!

RED SIX
Nay, stay, I'll warrant that all shall be well—

[Explosion, Red Six dies.]

HAN
Yet any simple plan excelleth o'er
Remaining here till all descend on us.
It taketh not a wisdom that excels
To know for certain fact that such is true.

R2-D2
[aside:] By heav'n I'll stop their bickering with this
New information [To Han and Luke] Whistle,
beep, meep, whee!

LUKE
I prithee, what doth all this beeping mean?

C-3PO
Sir, I confess I do not know. He hath
Declar'd that he hath found her, then the droid
Repeats "She's here, she's here."

LUKE
—But, marry, who?

C-3PO
Good Princess Leia.

LUKE
—Princess Leia—here?
[Aside:] Noth doth this strange adventure stir my
blood!

I read a bunch of this to my nephews and my dad, Christmas morn, and they all got a huge kick out of it.

GOOD PRESENT

Next up:

Magic cards! One of each land AND a sweet-ass 3D-printed "Mothra" tag! I want the story behind this thing.

And a second magic card, this one in a small case. Let me just turn it around here and get a good, fine look at what Grath hath picked for m—

o my stars and garters

It's back.

My favorite card is back.

*pat pat*

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Mothra wrote:First out of the box are two Terry Pratchett... movies??? That's right ladies and gents, these are two straight-to-DVD adapations of Pratchett's wild-ass fantasy books, Going Postal and The Color of Magic. Somehow I get the feeling one of these is gonna end up on Outerheaven at some point.

Technically they were British straight-to-TV adaptations, that later came out on DVD. Color of Magic is... a bit campy and would probably be a good candidate for Outerheaven, but Going Postal is actually legit awesome IMO. Bonus: They've got some pretty star-studded casts, too. Between the two movies, you have Sean Astin, Christopher Lee, Tim Curry, Jeremy Irons, David Jeremy aka "that guy who played Argus Filch/Walder Frey", David Suchet, Charles Dance, and also they not only got Terry Pratchett's blessing but they got him to do cameos in both movies.

Mothra wrote:I read a bunch of this to my nephews and my dad, Christmas morn, and they all got a huge kick out of it.

GOOD PRESENT

:grin: Yay! A coworker of mine introduced me to these books - this same author has done the rest of the original trilogy and the prequels, but I've only fully read through Verily, A New Hope.

Mothra wrote:Next up:
Magic cards! One of each land AND a sweet-ass 3D-printed "Mothra" tag! I want the story behind this thing.

I actually custom designed and printed the "Mothra" tag on my 3D printer, it was something simple for when I was going "wait fuck I don't have enough random crap in my apartment to fill out a proper Dirty Santa box."

Mothra wrote:And a second magic card, this one in a small case. Let me just turn it around here and get a good, fine look at what Grath hath picked for m—
o my stars and garters
It's back.
My favorite card is back.

:grin:
I saw your "my Recurring Nightmare got stolen" comment earlier in this thread and conveniently I've had a set for like... five years, but they're sadly banned in EDH (which is the only Magic I play anymore) because Recurring Nightmare is too super amazing good. I'd love to tell myself "oh no, this isn't broken, no sir" but it's actually super good especially since it's almost impossible to destroy it with removal.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:57 am

Yeah I've strategically not told anyone I regularly play Magic with that Recurring Nightmare is 100% illegal in EDH. The results have been wild success and personal fame!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:50 pm

I haven't seen the TV adaptations of Color of Magic or Going Postal, but I saw Hogfather and it was excellent.

(There were some earlier animated adaptations; I watched Wyrd Sisters. The script was wonderful and faithful to the book, and the cast was fantastic, but the animation was really distractingly cheap.)

I've got a copy of Guards! Guards! around here somewhere; I should give it a read. My sense of the series, from only having read a few of them so far, is that Color of Magic/Light Fantastic are fine books but not really a good representation of the series; Pratchett improved as a writer and Discworld improved as a setting over the decades that followed.

We had a discussion about them on the old boards, but word of warning: the spoiler tag doesn't seem to be working anymore over there.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:43 pm

Thad wrote:I haven't seen the TV adaptations of Color of Magic or Going Postal, but I saw Hogfather and it was excellent.

(There were some earlier animated adaptations; I watched Wyrd Sisters. The script was wonderful and faithful to the book, and the cast was fantastic, but the animation was really distractingly cheap.)

I've got a copy of Guards! Guards! around here somewhere; I should give it a read. My sense of the series, from only having read a few of them so far, is that Color of Magic/Light Fantastic are fine books but not really a good representation of the series; Pratchett improved as a writer and Discworld improved as a setting over the decades that followed.

We had a discussion about them on the old boards, but word of warning: the spoiler tag doesn't seem to be working anymore over there.

I have Hogfather but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Color of Magic and Going Postal are both by the same crew.

Guards is a good set of books to follow. Somewhere there's a chart of like, how all the books connect - the Guards books are a good intro to Discworld, that's where I started it.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:40 pm

KAYMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Mothra wrote:KAYMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Guys, look what Mothra got me! I have treasured it for year!

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:00 pm

He got you a 403 error (forbidden!)?

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:10 am

My favorite HTTP error code. I fixed it, I think.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:56 am

I can see it. Good stuff. I've been meaning to pick up A Distant Soil for years.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:21 pm

my god

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:14 pm

There's a game with my name on it in there!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:25 pm

Brentai wrote:There's a game with my name on it in there!

The only proper name I see is "Ms. Marvel".

Why, Brentai. Image