That Lag Doe

sei

That Lag Doe

Postby sei » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:52 pm

So the forum is occasionally taking 5-10s to return a page after posting.

Would be cool to identify the source of the lag. Mazian proposed it could be spiders slowing the site down. If that's a factor, we could try using crawl-delay to prevent hammering.

If that's not it, might be good to work out how we can identify the source of the lag.

If it can't be worked out, it might be good keeping Outer Heaven and such where they are, but moving the forums to a faster, yet still cheap service like asmallorange shared hosting.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: That Lag Doe

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:21 pm

I've had lag lasting a full minute at times.

I know this is a shared server, but a simple phpbb forum shouldn't lag that bad AFAIK. Not sure what the cause might be.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:17 pm

I would also like to add to this. I understand that it is unavoidable on the current set-up, but like Mongrel I regularly have up to a minute of wait time on a load and that feels like maybe more than just a shared server slowdown.

patito

Postby patito » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:53 pm

Outer Heaven is set up on an entirely different server to the boards now, so don't worry about that, we do have our own problems but that's for us to work out.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:41 pm

beatbandito wrote:that feels like maybe more than just a shared server slowdown.

I'm still not experiencing any of the lag you guys are talking about (which, again, is probably down to my being much closer to the server geographically), but here's a troubleshooting question that might help narrow down the source of the problem: if you poke around Fossilized, do you experience the same loading issues?

If you do, that doesn't tell us much, but if you don't, that suggests the issue is somewhere in this site's code rather than with the server.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Fossilized has a very consistent 1.5 second lag on loading a page, whereas the main boards are extremely variable for me.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:16 pm

I have not had any problems with excessive lag from work, home or mobile except for the first day, for what that's worth (absolutely nothing!) in narrowing the problem down.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Esperath wrote:Fossilized has a very consistent 1.5 second lag on loading a page, whereas the main boards are extremely variable for me.

Okay, that's just one datapoint so far but it's a good place to start. It doesn't tell us anything for sure but it could indicate an issue in the site code.

Here's something else to try: if you switch themes, is the lag the same, or greater, or less? If it's the same, that suggests that there's an issue in the base phpBB code, but if it changes then that suggests it's in the theme code.

(I don't know anything about phpBB theming but I know that different Wordpress themes implement the same basic features in significantly different ways.)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:03 pm

I was already bumming around in the other theme on Mothra's request for the past day or so and, much like fossilized, it follows the avera of 2 - 10 seconds but never seems to spike up towards a minute.

And while it may very well be observation bias, I think I'm noticing the bad hangups only really happen when:

1) navigating to the forums
2) opening the new / unread posts pages
3) jumping directly to unread posts
edit 4) posting
Which is difficult to do in fossilized. Though I was doing that in silver too and never got a major hang-up, but don't always in bronto anyway. So nothing very helpful, basically.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:17 pm

Changing the theme to ProSilver appears to make load times much more consistent (~2s). Will leave this theme up for a few days and will report again later.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Lady

Postby Lady » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:05 am

FWIW, our guy from EMR said that their upstream provider had had some serious issues until recently (last day or two), although I don't know if that's all responsible. I'll take a look at the stats though.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Well, anecdotally, it does seem to be noticeably better today.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:11 pm

running the alt. theme seemed to help when I first used it, but afterward I've been getting variable response times with this one as well.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Having some slow loading today and a few 500 errors that resulted in me reloading pages and posting multiple times as a result.

Could be an issue at my end; I've been having a lot of problems with sites loading for the past few days, not just this one. The 500 error seems more like a server issue, but if nobody else is getting it then it's possible that's just another symptom of my client-side issue (maybe the result of incomplete data exchange?).

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Seems a bit slower for me, too.

I get like 4-5 second load times, so it's hard for me to tell. I must be near the server.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm getting a lot of lag on the corporate network where I am totally paying attention to work, corporate IT person possibly watching my traffic, the IP from inside the corporate network appears to geolocate to North Carolina but I'm physically in NY.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Weird. There's still some lag for me, especially when posting or loading more than one thread at once, but it's been much better for me for the past few days.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:53 pm

Mongrel wrote:Weird. There's still some lag for me, especially when posting or loading more than one thread at once, but it's been much better for me for the past few days.

It's been much better for me until today, and I don't know if today is because I'm on the corporate network or if it's extra-slow today. When I get back to my apartment in a bit I'll check there.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:44 am

Loading times are really just too variable for me to make a good comparison across themes, sorry.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

François

Postby François » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:20 pm

I'm getting the odd 500 error as well, but reloading the page fixed it every time.