A Brief History of Brontoforumus

Bal

Re: A Brief History of Brontoforumus

Postby Bal » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:51 am

Thad wrote:You know, I hear Norondor left because I didn't respond to that post by one of Guild's sockpuppet accounts, that was posted after Norondor already announced he was leaving.

This was the part that needed redressing in my mind. The reason he already announced he was leaving was what I posted.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 am

Maximillian wrote:Also you weren't on the IRC side of things save for one new years visit that lasted like twenty minutes

I actually used to be a regular, way back in '01. Went by "HoJu" in those days.

Bal wrote:
Thad wrote:You know, I hear Norondor left because I didn't respond to that post by one of Guild's sockpuppet accounts, that was posted after Norondor already announced he was leaving.

This was the part that needed redressing in my mind. The reason he already announced he was leaving was what I posted.

Sigh.

Norondor announced he was leaving, in 2009. Yyler explained that Nor left because it really bothered him that I hadn't replied to such-and-such a post, which was silly because (1) I didn't respond to the post because it was Guild using a sockpuppet and (2) the post was after Nor announced he was leaving.

At some point Norondor came back, and then he left again in 2011. (I have no recollection of any "either ban Mongrel or I quit" message to the mod team, or anything else that would qualify as an "announcement" that he was leaving, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. It was a long time ago, and the "Reported Posts" logs on Fossilized are long since purged.)

You are not talking about the same event that I was. You are talking about a different one that happened two and a half years later.

Again: it was an offhand joke, at Yyler's expense, which you misunderstood. That's okay! It was a deliberately obscure reference to a thing that happened a long time ago, and Norondor left more than once, so it's not always easy to keep the "Norondor left" stories straight. But maybe you could have, like, just said "That's not why Nor left" and then I could have said "Yeah, that's the joke" and then we could have moved on? It seems like there was probably a better way to handle this than dropping a seven-year-old drama bomb, and that usually the better way of handling things involves seeking clarification rather than shooting from the hip.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 am

First of all, I don't have access or interest in your extensive timeline of everything that has ever been said in this community. I am sure you have quotes of me expressing this sentiment elsewhere. Therefore, I did not know it was separate incidents.

Secondly, I talk to Noro daily, and given that his leaving and the reason for it was brought up AT ALL, I wanted him to have the chance to give his side of why. I honestly don't give a fuck if that reason upset people, but even still it's not like I've opened up some can of worms that threatens to tear apart the very fabric of this community. If not for your post and this one responding to it, I believe it would already be over.

EDIT: This is however an excellent record of the same dance we've been having for over a decade, so I guess it fits the theme of the thread.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:19 am

Friday wrote:also like at minimum, tell him to look at my avatar

I missed this post the first time through, but independently I did link your avatar in Discord for him. It was met with approval.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:13 pm

Bal wrote:Hello there! This is just to get your attention.

Normally, I'd feel a little crass responding to all of this, but I kind of feel I have to, since my 'benefit' has been invoked several times over. As a newcomer, but in general, I try to be a bit courteous; for many reasons.
But please do not mistake that courtesy for consent.

I did not consent to have the past petty grudges of the forums dredged up, or a special airing of grievances thread made. I did not request more info on any of these topics, and frankly, I do not care about any of them. I'm sorry if that's cruel, or callous, but trying to follow the timeline of events is exhausting, and of little relevance to the reason I'm here; to talk about things, make new friends, and perhaps even do some good.

Which I think, despite your abrasive commentary, you care about, too. Clearly, these issues matter very deeply to you for you to hold onto them for so many years - but I think it'd be better if you opened with that. Honesty isn't going 'I'm an asshole and I don't care about these things' - then proceeding to do just that. Honesty is saying, without retractions:

Yeah. I do care, and these matter.

But, unfortunately, though I think your intent is good - not only do I not care, even if I wanted to, you have to understand I can't follow any of this. I'm sorry that Mongrel and Yller are the great adversary, and we must expel them; or that we lost Norondor, who is apparently worth 1 Thad or 4'192'301'495 GigaMongrels.

That said, due to my own experiences of Discord - and with anyone who uses the term 'subnormal' - the information you provided had the opposite effect on me. Maybe subnormal is a cutesy insult you all throw around here in IRC, but the sort of people I know who use it in reality? I've met them, and I do not particularly care for them. Putting my feelings aside, though, and my experience that anyone who provides unrequested, unedited factoids, without context or history still has opinion, and bias...

I do not care.

And I'm sorry I'm repeating that! But, you've mentioned elsewhere and here that this info was requested - and I assume that's meant to indicate by me.

I did not request this history thread; it was started for my perceived benefit. I did not request other potential threads; one theoretically posted by you. Please do not use my as a reason to continue your grudges, however righteous you may believe your cause.

But I am interested in you; you have a fascinating avatar, and an interesting taste in games; Star Control II is one of my all time favourites (now, when I get around to clicking that link, wait for it to be top ten reasons SCII is the cat's armpits.) But I do not think threads like this have a good success rate for converting people, online, even in the heat of the moment.

However...

If you care enough about issues of people leaving a community, or feeling unsafe, or whatever you felt exiled those people, surely you are active in your own community; and if not, I would be glad to help you get so. The digital world is fun, and a comforting cave, but in the end it is nothing; we turn it off, and forget.

Even writing an attempt to convince someone online is an exercise in futility; you must be careful not to come across as too aggressive, or too cold, so that your words are not screenshotted and given 'unedited' but out-of-context so that third parties might say... "God, fuck her, she sounds like a bitch." You must leave openings, showing that you care - even if you struggle with that emotion, even if you find all human beings unlovable assholes.

Yet - even if you find people as such, isn't it better to try?
To say - well, perhaps I find everyone around me an asshole. But - I've been thinking such things on and off for sixteen years. And maybe they are, and maybe I am.

But I'd like to try to be more than that.
A shiny asshole... If you will!

With all that said, please know that I don't think ill of you, or that you're attempting to stir shit up; and I do appreciate your attempts to keep me, or other folk informed.

That being said - it's the modern era, and it sounds like Norondor really was beloved by this community! I'm sure many would be appreciated if they wrote an e-mail, perhaps, especially if they don't feel comfortable here. I think a great a deal getss lost in communication on someone else's behalf, even with the best of intentions; and if Norondor is fondly regarded, even just a 'I'm alive, fuckos. The year sucks... But I'm doing okay!.." mail might mean the world.

Not to me, though, mind, I'm still lost as hell!..
And on that note, I'd like to politely ask that this thread get closed. Not because I think it's offensive, but simply because I think it really could be better discussed and continued elsewhere, if it must, and I don't particularly like being associated with something I neither asked for nor have any interest in. If that's too much, I understand!.. I'll gladly take a mini-ban in return, though. (I'd rather not, of course!)

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:29 pm

That's all well and good, but I never invoked you in any of my posts. I was speaking to Thad and then to Mongrel as he responded to me.

EDIT: Given the length of your post, I feel like a bit of an asshole here, but I legitimately was not talking to you directly at any point. Obviously a forum post is directed to everyone in the thread to some extent, but the "request" came from Mongrel for more detail after I posted the quote from Norondor in response to Thad. That's 100% of it.

Maximillian

Postby Maximillian » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:53 pm

That whole back and forth is a pretty good simulation of how the boards could get. History lesson complete.

We are now older and more bitter/powerful than you can possibly imagine!

Lady

Postby Lady » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:54 pm

man I just run amble this place. I started lurking around Outer Heaven and IRC 8 years ago and I still have no idea what all goes on here.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:17 am

Bal - I find that it's okay to feel a bit of an asshole, sometimes. It can lead to introspection, and self-strengthening. I never used to assume I was an asshole, and I was definitely a worse person because of it. That being said - my intent wasn't to make you feel like one, but a mixture of curious and lost. Would you believe me if I said I'm something of a space-case? Ahaha!..

I'm used to writing passionate letters, however. Very few people respond.

I'm glad you did!

Maximillian, even more proof I'll fit right in. My bitterness is maximum, because, from my point of view - The jedi really were kinda...

Ah, and hello there, Lady! Thank you for ambling this place; I've really enjoyed my time here so far!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:29 am

...if we're the sith, does that make Talking Time the jedi?

...is WingSounds gonna murder T-Tyrants until there's as many of them as there are of us, thereby bringing Balance To The Forums?

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:14 am

i won't lie the prequels have always been my favourites they're so dumb i love them

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:05 pm

I appreciate that Bal put "request" in quotation marks, because it really wasn't an "I DEMAND TO KNOW WHAT PETTY GRIEVANCES IRK THE PEASANTS!" demand, it was my being completely baffled, wondering what on earth I said that was so odious as to singlehandedly repel someone from a community they cared about for over seven years? And I think Bal recognized that?

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:27 pm

I would like to take this moment to interrupt, and note that over the last nearly 20 years of my life, this community (by which I mostly mean the IRC channel, but I swirl both together in my head, like a cheesecake brownie) has been friends and family to me. When I needed help, I was helped. When I was sad or lonely, I was comforted. Now that I'm on my feet, when I see help requested I try to give. This has always been the community in my life where people took care of each other, and listened to each other.

I don't post much, because I don't have much to say that's important enough to write somewhere as semi-permanent as a forum. And honestly, I know I say things that sound dumb sometimes, and I'm terrified someone will get upset at me. But I read and I watch, and I keep up on how your day was and what's going on at work, because I really care and I want you all to be as well and as happy as possible.

My life, especially the '00s, would have been much worse if not for this corner of the internet. I think it's a pretty special community.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:52 pm

Something we haven't mentioned came to mind:

In the IRC channel, there exist two chatbots, Myew and Maou, who have been active so long they're effectively sentient now (sometimes frighteningly so). Occasionally they even interact with each other with no human participation required. And yet, despite being active for literally the better part of a decade and being (in theory) far less sophisticated, they seem to only occasionally exhibit Nazi tendencies (whereas Tay only lasted a day before going full gas chamber. Score: #FF 2, Microsoft: 0).

Now and then, chatlogs of their ribald observations are posted to the forums - hence my mentioning them. They even compose Haikus on request!

What I don't know, is who started them, how they got going, and how on earth they're still going. But others here can answer those strange mysteries.

mharr

Postby mharr » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 pm

If those two end up triggering the Singularity apocalypse, I think I'm okay with that. Humanity deserves a comedy pratfall ending.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:29 pm

I think we fed myew the bible at one point? so yeah the apocalypse is def coming soon with myew riding a pale horse
ImageImageImage

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:07 am

aaaAAaaaah, you have bible poetry demisentient robots?!
Did you feed them the Chenoboskion Manuscripts, too!? I'm completely okay with a synthetic ending, if that's the case.
Especially if they compose poems on the fly.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 am

Mongrel wrote:In the IRC channel, there exist two chatbots, Myew and Maou,

um

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:24 am

Yeah, I was going to ask about Maou's status...

And IIRC, Myew is supposed to be pictured as a catgirl maid, right?
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:34 am

So I got the name wrong? There ARE two of them, right?

Which one's the other one?