A Brief History of Brontoforumus

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: A Brief History of Brontoforumus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:25 pm

I think "old guard" right now includes everybody but WingSounds.

Who can take that as a compliment if she wants.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Though I do look forward to the day I can be considered an elite old grumbler, I will. Thank you!
So long as I'm considered the cheesiest of the cannon fodder, all is well.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:15 pm

I prefer to think of it like generations.

fat guard, slim guard, mini guard, micro guard, nano guard, c guard.

WingSounds

Postby WingSounds » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:41 pm

Oh! Then I take it all back! In honour of the season, I shall be the gourd guard!

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:16 am

I've been grumbling around these parts since 2002 or so, and for a long time I was considered middle guard by the IRC alums. There's something deeply rooted in my mind that says to a new name "Who the fuck is this asshole?". Don't take it personally though. The response to people I've known for 16 years is the slight variation "Oh, it's THIS asshole".

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:24 am

Bal Today at 8:07 AM
There's a history of the forums thread going right now. Can I get a block quote of why you quit? Because Thad unsurprisingly doesn't understand, but I don't want to misrepresent anything

Norondor Today at 8:17 AM
oh uhhhh
iron mongrel, piece of shit that he is, was arguing for circumstances in which rape could be argued to be the fault of the victim and after some back and forth i appealed to thad and the rest of the mods that either he had to go or i would, and they made their choice and got the poster they deserve
there was some other shit with mongrel before that, and i don't remember what it is, but he's a subnormal and shouldn't have been allowed to stay. but those idiots kept classic around, so

Unedited from Discord. We don't always get along around here, but it is what it is.

Maximillian

Postby Maximillian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:57 pm

I left because the antisocial squabbling, bitching, moderation circus, and general, "Well okay, we'll tolerate this over here, but fuck you guys over here." hit levels where the lot of you really made me question my choices in life, and I decided that I'd just go somewhere else. In hindsight, Niku giving me constant shit for allowing 2-3 bots on my Unreal Tournament server was justified, I'm gonna let you have that win Niku.

Many of whose left seem to have grown the fuck up to an extent. Time seems to have changed some of you. Then there's Mr.Saturn who I can still read in his voice, after having met him once.

You guys are the weird semi-abusive family I grew up with in my downtime from like '97 to '07-ish. We did a few good things, like that community Magic set I hammered out with Cait and Zara.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:20 pm

Bal wrote:
Bal Today at 8:07 AM
There's a history of the forums thread going right now. Can I get a block quote of why you quit? Because Thad unsurprisingly doesn't understand, but I don't want to misrepresent anything

Norondor Today at 8:17 AM
oh uhhhh
iron mongrel, piece of shit that he is, was arguing for circumstances in which rape could be argued to be the fault of the victim and after some back and forth i appealed to thad and the rest of the mods that either he had to go or i would, and they made their choice and got the poster they deserve
there was some other shit with mongrel before that, and i don't remember what it is, but he's a subnormal and shouldn't have been allowed to stay. but those idiots kept classic around, so

Unedited from Discord. We don't always get along around here, but it is what it is.

I literally and honestly have absolutely no frikkin clue what he's talking about. Does anyone else know what Nor is referring to? Hell, I don't even remember Norondor being ANGRY with me, at least not in some noteworthy "I HATE YOU" way.

Even if that's true (very possible!), I think we've all learned things since... whenever he thinks that happened?

Based on that message, he seems to be carrying a grudge about me in general, so I'm not sure if telling him things are different around here would make much difference though. :/

Man, that's weird.

François

Postby François » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:38 pm

I can't say I recall anything specific or general about that. Looking back from here, it smells a lot like a misunderstanding that snowballed.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Come on back Norondor, only like a quarter of the forum posts are Mongrel. A third, tops.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:41 pm

Grath wrote:
Defenestration wrote:Hey, am I old guard yet

Not until you learn to properly appreciate cheese.

Cheese is a condiment, not to be over used. Slathering an item in cheese as if it was a glaze or sauce is disgusting.

Mongrel wrote:I literally and honestly have absolutely no frikkin clue what he's talking about. Does anyone else know what Nor is referring to? Hell, I don't even remember Norondor being ANGRY with me, at least not in some noteworthy "I HATE YOU" way.

Even if that's true (very possible!), I think we've all learned things since... whenever he thinks that happened?

Based on that message, he seems to be carrying a grudge about me in general, so I'm not sure if telling him things are different around here would make much difference though. :/

Man, that's weird.

I remember the post vaguely, but don't care enough to dig through forum logs to find it. I feel inclined to point out that you can occasionally say stupid things in political discussions. Like when you made me angry by twisting the context of my words into suggesting I called you a Nazi sympathizer just for equivocating and navel gazing. (And it's fine.)
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Like Frank says, I think a lot of times those are just misunderstandings. I mean the outcome of twenty pages of arguing about Nazis was basically "We're all on the same side, guys."

I could definitely see some scenario now where I might make an argument which superficially sounds like that on the basis of necessity in an unjust world. In much the same way that the current policing system is a massive systemic injustice and needs to be completely transformed, but black parents still instruct their kids on how to try to not-get-shot as a practical necessity. None of that means the victim is to blame, nor should they be blamed, but it might sound like victim-blaming.

But I don't know if that's what it was or if I just said something dumb.

Anyway, Guild and his "High Context" bullshit aside, it's easy lose things in text-only format which are difficult to replace via writing alone.

I've always figured that's why a lot of people would get mad at Geo. Since I knew him IRL, I always read his posts in his IRL voice and knew what he meant, but I also realized how they sometimes might sound dickish without that prior experience.

nosimpleway wrote:Come on back Norondor, only like a quarter of the forum posts are Mongrel. A third, tops.

Man, the past couple days have been NUTS with activity. I'm amazed. And it's not just Wings. A bunch of people are posting more all of a sudden.

It's p cool.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:24 pm

I mean, I remember when Frocto left a while back. He also blamed you, Mongrel.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:39 pm

My litany of sins. At least I didn't get the Ted treatment that Thad got, lol xD

So what was this one for?

Bal

Postby Bal » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:53 pm

I've been listening to Geo talk with his real voice for 15 years. If anything, it's worse.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:59 pm

I can also see that... xD

I guess I just like Geo.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:00 pm

I actually do think I speak for everyone who's been a mod here when I say: Outside of the occasional goof, we don't actually like being mods, and about the worst thing you could do is force us into that role.

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Norondor coming back, while I understand that to be basically impossible, would be an event of such magnitude that I would, not kidding, actually feel happiness for a sustained period of time.

I might even write another CPE chapter or two.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:56 pm

also like at minimum, tell him to look at my avatar
ImageImageImage

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Mongrel wrote:My litany of sins. At least I didn't get the Ted treatment that Thad got, lol xD

So what was this one for?

Heck if I know. One thing I do remember is him sending me a screenshot labeled mongrelisinsane.jpg.