Re: Super Smash Bros Next

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:19 pm

FALCOONNNNNNNNNNNN

PAWKAGE!
ImageImageImage

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:33 am

Smash demo is out in Japan. Watching some streams makes things look even better than I thought.

Rumor is American demo is out Sep 19th

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:46 am

Some stores in Japan broke street date. Some people had 3DS capture cards and started streaming their games. The following unannounced characters have already been seen: Dark Pit, Duck Hunt, Ness, Falco, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, Dr. Mario, Wario, Jigglypuff, Bowser Junior.
...but is it art?

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:16 am

i am dying

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:34 am

Oh my god I love it.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Before that video I thought it was neat they had him in there but figured he'd be regulated to Ice Climber level of play.

But after it? I kind of want to play as him now.

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Anyone got extra demo keys

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:23 am

I'm having trouble landing killing blows on level-9 CPUs. Maybe it's because they can do perfect shields much more easily than any human, though I'm certain a part of it is that I let my skills atrophy. Compared to Brawl, it seems there's a much sharper distinction between moves with and without KO power at ~100%. In the full game, practice mode will be a good way to get a feel for what your various moves can do. I feel like intercepting enemy recovery is going to become a major part of the game, which is going to take rethinking some strategies.

Having tap-to-jump on makes it hard to do up tilts, which is unfortunate. I find myself jumping into the enemy instead of hitting them. Disabling this will be the first thing I do in the main game.

Here follow impressions of the demo characters:

Mario is an excellent close-range fighter. He has a tilt and an aerial for every occasion, most of which come out lightning fast and can even combo into each other. The fireball is kind of perfunctory as projectiles go, but the real weapon he has against ranged enemies is the cape, skillful use of which can allow him to approach in relative safety. His great weakness is the short range of all his attacks, especially his smashes, so skillful Mario play means knowing where your tilts will knock your opponent, and getting there first, ready to follow up. If you're not there, you have to close with the enemy again. In that sense, he's a very conventional fighter whose moveset emphasizes the fundamentals.

Link is kind of the opposite. He's on the slow side, and while he's nowhere near as punishable as he was in Melee and Brawl, his attacks still have fairly long followthrough. His tilts tend to get good (albeit not KO-capable) knockback at relatively low percentages, and he's not very mobile, so he has relatively few options for combos (although, check out his down tilt). Playing as Link means your opponents will be spending a lot of time far away from you, where you can harass them to build up damage with your arrow, bombs, and boomerang; this is also reflected in the long reach of the hookshot and master sword. He has a unique advantage against enemies with ranged attacks: the Hylian Shield, which blocks a surprisingly large number of projectiles as long as you're standing or walking (including Mario's fireballs, Pikachu's Thunder Shock, Mega Man's buster and Metal Blade, Villager's slingshot, and Link's arrows). When the enemy has enough damage that you can KO them with a smash attack, get them to approach you - by pulling them in with a returning Gale Boomerang, chasing them into a corner, or just standing there to force them to engage you with attacks your shield can't block - and decide the match with one of his smash attacks' very generous hitboxes.

Pikachu never made much sense to me, frankly, but there's a method to his madness. As one of the smallest, fastest characters, you have great power to influence your location relative to your opponent. You can't afford to get hit too much because of your low weight, so use your superior agility to get out of the way. Your attacks are very fast, and while their range is short, they tend to hit on all sides of you and have a bit more hitstun than average, so they're pretty safe to use. Use your superior agility and your projectiles to dictate the terms of the clash, so that you're in a position the opponent can't threaten easily (it helps to know their attacks' properties), and shock them. Thunder Shock is a difficult projectile to evade, so use it to trick the enemy into thinking they want to approach you by the air instead of on land, and then punish them with Thunder - but, be careful, because the more versatile uses of Thunder also make it one of your more punishable options. He will feel kind of spammy and irritating, but remember that making the opponent angry is to your advantage.

Mega Man is an odd one. He has relatively few kill moves - pretty much just his three smash attacks - but, frankly, that forward smsah, the Charge Shot, might just be the best smash attack in the game, with a range that can go up to half the length of Battlefield. Just like in his own games, you have a tool for every situation, if you have the presence of mind to actually use it instead of muddling through with the buster (the best use of which is to make the enemy flinch as you approach them, preliminary to hitting them with an up or down tilt). Metal Blade is an excellent zoning move if you can get the hang of aiming it, by which I mean not only throwing it at the desired angle but also timing it to be at the most inconvenient place for the enemy; you can't afford to be sloppy with it, as only one can be out at a time. I think a good strategy for scoring kills is to hit the weakened enemy with a Crash Bomb to make them panic and run towards you in the hopes of making it stick to you, and destroy them with one of your smash attacks as they approach.

I have no idea what the fuck Villager is about. All I can say is that he seems to have far fewer bread-and-butter reliable, versatile attacks, instead loading up with attacks with really quirky properties that are devastating when used creatively but unimpressive otherwise. Pocket is one of the best anti-projectile moves in the series, because it has generous timing, low costs, and works on virtually everything. I swear I saw a CPU Villager pocket Pikachu's Thunder, though I never saw it release it. Balloon Fighter can be used to recover from basically anywhere, if your opponent doesn't try to stop you - the downside is that it leaves you vulnerable both during and afterwards. This guy's gonna take some getting used to and I don't know if I'm super interested.
...but is it art?

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:47 am

Thanks to a friendly board member, I am now in!

I agree with your assessment of Megaman, except I think that you may be underestimating his Shoryuken as a finisher. I am not experienced with the rest of the characters to pass any kind of judgement or agree/disagree with you. Will spend more time in the lab.

I wish we had got practice mode in this.

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:21 am

Mega Man's Shoryuken will be a much better move once we can access custom controls and disable tap-to-jump. As it stands now, up tilts basically don't exist.

Playing a bit more, I've surprised myself by liking Link best of the five demo characters.
...but is it art?

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Ziiro wrote:Thanks to a friendly board member, I am now in!

Wow, really? Maybe I should have begged here instead of on Talking Time. The demand was a lot higher than the supply over there.

It won't kill me to wait until Friday at this point, though.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:53 pm

I wouldn't object to a code, but that'd probably just end up with me playing Super Smash Bros at work if I have it before Friday, so... Might be best to not.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:22 pm

I have entry into the Smash Club, but am asking around fir a friend, if anyone has one extra.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:45 am

I'm out of codes, but I think the demo is going public on the 19th

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:08 pm

My fingers hurt.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Does your face hurt?

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:54 pm

It might not, but it's hurting me.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:01 pm

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:10 pm

I walked into my GameStop today in order to pay off my Smash and they told me the weren't doing a midnight release.
I paused and said I'm reconsidering even having a preorder and the manager quickly hopped on the computer and pressed a few buttons and now their doing a midnight. So I'm preparing for the loneliest Smash release in history.

And as I turned to walk out the door, he told me they are having a Smash tourney Sunday. I turned around to sign up and he said it was Project M.

This is the dumbest/weirdest GameStop.

Postby Newbie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:59 pm

I prepurchased a week or two ago, but completely forgot I'll be flying out-of-state at 5:00 AM on Friday. I guess I should see whether they're doing a midnight release, then.
tiny text