Movie Nights

Blossom

Movie Nights

Postby Blossom » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:37 pm

Hm. We have a Netflix thread, we have a theatrical release thread, but I can't seem to find a thread for movies at home that aren't on Netflix. Anyway.

Martyrs was a very interesting movie. Definitely something to let bubble around a bit in the head. I dunno if I can recommend it, because it got very difficult to watch at points - it is unsettlingly violent, in a small and real way aided by some really impressive makeup and practical effects, though the worst of it happens offscreen - but if that's not a problem for you, it's a good thinkin' movie.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Movie Nights

Postby Mothra » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Fix that URL bro

I've had huge success showing Cabin in the Woods (which is on Netflix). Everybody seems to love that one.

Scott Pilgrim is also a really safe bet.

At World's End goes over really well IF it's only dudes. A lot of normie gals just don't seem to like it.

Sleepy Hollow is a solid, fun horrorish movie. If you want to get EDGY without going terrible you could also do 28 Days Later.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:18 pm

Oh wait, I misread this as Thread About Good Movies To Show During a Group Movie Night

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:58 pm

I saw The Avengers yesterday at a friend's house, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it's a competently made and smartly written action film. On the other, there's no substance to it.

It made me think of eating cake for dinner. You're technically eating food but you're not really getting anything out of it. If I were younger, I could probably get away with it, but these days I'd just wish I'd eaten something substantial.

It wasn't a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. I think if I were a lapsed comics fan, the movie might rekindle my interest in comics. The problem is that I had my love of comics rekindled about four years ago after I read things like Power Girl and the Annihilation saga. The movie did seem to include enough trivia to entice someone want to learn more. I guess for some people that's enough?

I guess what I'm trying to say is the movie wasn't for me and I'm okay with that.

Thank Odin for Rifftrax though.