Cross-Forum Fervor! Let's Play The Sims 3!

zaratustra

Re: Cross-Forum Fervor! Let's Play The Sims 3!

Postby zaratustra » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:38 am

Now all I need is Dirt Defiant and I will have used my videogame fame to become the perfect transhuman.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:50 am

I wish I really could just chat with people and make money. Seeing as I've never played a Sims game myself, I don't really know what to ask you for as far as my character....
Can she get into cosplay?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:38 am

You're in one of the two career paths that demand Charisma, so talking to people for money is, in fact, what you do. Would you rather be in politics?

There are plenty of costuming options at any dresser or mirror, but given the impreciseness of the character editor I can't promise effective duplication of anything. I mean, that's why none of your characters look like you.

Looking over the rewards list, there... really isn't much you need for Charisma, Writing, Guitar, or the Journalism track that you don't already have. Attractive and Long-Distance Friend are a big boost to anyone trying to work on Charisma, and you got 'em. Vacationer and Office Hero help with career progression, but you're already at level nine of ten. Acclaimed Author is for people who use writing for income, but in your case the royalties aren't why you write.

So, uh... hmm. You can buy the ones that are useful for anyone anytime, like Hardly Hungry and Dirt Defiant, to take some stress off of Beat's Moodlet Manager. You can save up for big household-support items like the Teleportation Pad or the Food Replicator, or hell, a backup Moodlet Manager since juggling five people and thirty Needs meters is a lot of work (and is why you guys are getting the 'prevent Needs decay' rewards even though Beat has the Manager already).

Oh, one of the skill challenges for Charisma is to tell fifty jokes. I'll probably pick up Never Dull for you so that's a bit easier.

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:22 pm

That skill challenge is pretty easy even without that perk.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:47 pm

Maybe for her. Remember I have my guy No Sense of Humor, though that doesn't seem to be slowing down the emotional slaughterhouse any.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:52 pm

I don't even have Brent trying for that challenge. He gets by on natural charm, the ability to play guitar, and talking about that one time he found a new star (which everyone finds endlessly fascinating). He can't tell jokes, so I don't try to force it.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 pm

There are probably more polite places to practice the guitar than the middle of the library, but Silver had a Wish to get a bunch of people to listen to her play at once, and that's where they were gathered.

And I knew there was a crowd there because Beat was reading up on the highest-level Cooking skill book. And it paid off! He's mastered that skill, too.

This was going to be the update I put up right before I left for my vacation, but I didn't on account of getting ready to go on my vacation. So I don't remember why Silver left and Brentai took over the library concert, but he's got some fans already.

And some detractors.

Turns out Fiona McIrish is still heartbroken over Brentai's betrayal.

Boy, is she gonna be mad to find out he's asking out River McIrish, her own daughter!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Turns out Fiona isn't the only one justifiably cheesed at Brent, either!

Before Brentai can close the deal, River has to go home and hit the hay. So Brent goes home and wonders what it would have been like to ask out Holly instead (apparently forgetting that he tried that already and it didn't go well).

Zara also tops out one of his skills.

As usual, he gets a shitton of LAPs for completing several wishes with one action.

Beat's bedroom wall.

...and Zara's.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:13 pm

All right, everyone's well rested, properly fed, and bathed. Let's give it another whirl.

Unfortunately, Brent comes on too strong, and squicks River out. Attempts at recovery only make things worse, and she leaves in a huff.

Oh well.

In other news, Beat can outrun a car.

This nets him a promotion at the end of the day. Movin' on up!

Like I said, a small update. But we're back on track.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:00 am

nosimpleway wrote:Image
Turns out Fiona isn't the only one justifiably cheesed at Brent, either!

Please tell me the game generated that guy's name and appearance at random.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:06 am

'Fraid not.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Oh, before I start screencapping the next part: Zara, do you still want Fast Learner? It'll make anything you pick up after Writing go faster, but I was under the impression you only wanted it to max writing.

If you still want it I'll get you started on fishing or gardening or something. Otherwise it's back to the PC to do Writing skill challenges until you start cranking out Masterpieces.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:33 am

Ugh just save it up I guess.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:15 pm

We'll get to this here in a second.

First, let's talk skill challenges. Ada and Zara publish their fifth work in a genre (Romance for Ada, Mystery for Zara), earning a challenge each. Beat discovers his twentieth celestial body through the telescope.

Ada also invests in the day spa.

Sadly, while investing in some other businesses gives you free use of their products, the spa doesn't offer such luxuries. If you want some work done, ya still gotta cough up some cash.

Brent gets his second-to-last promotion, too.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Beat has a wish to get a bit more muscular, and I have a wish to get the gym out of where it is. So I build up, opening up a bit of space on the second floor, moving the equipment into the new area on the third, and buying a weights machine.

The stereo can stay. I guess I should probably buy another one for the LAN area, since that's the other place people go and stay for hours and hours at a time.

Then I build upwards again. Beat's bedroom moves from the second floor to the new fourth floor.

And just for convenience, I put the spiral staircase all the way down to the first floor. And this is where I discovered that Sims vastly prefer spiral stairs to straight stairwells. It's probably faster.

A wide-angle shot of the second floor as it stands for the moment. The bathroom moved from the center of the house over to where Beat's bedroom used to be, and the gym is up above.

Also, aww, you go, Mongrel. There's only like a 20% chance I'll have Brentai talk her out of that relationship for his own nefarious ends.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:25 pm

Ada starts her next book. Even with the skill capped out, there's challenges to meet, and the only way to meet them is to keep on writin'.

Zara sets a lofty goal for himself.

So to start, he buys out the other owners of the diner. As the textbox says, we can now name the diner whatever we want. Just dump your suggestions in thread.

Brentai is playing in the park for tips when he's rudely interrupted by a flirtatious young lady.

:shrug:

Whoa hey what dude the Goths are loaded and now Cornelia is single lemme make a phonecall real quick

So Brentai, that rascally opportunist, asks Cornelia to meet him, and...

She agreed to come, but as soon as she got to the park, flipped a table. She hadn't even spawned onscreen!

Only after she decided Brent's a smelly jerk did she actually show up, running across the park and snarling vile invectives at Brentai.

Well, that was a bust two different ways. Back to playing for cash. Maybe Blair is single...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Beat's still the go-to guy when something breaks, but unless there's a dire need for a new piece of furniture to be upgraded he's done with the Handiness skill.

It's not often everyone is home at the same time to eat a meal together.

That's several thousand LAPs for Brent, since he had at least two wishes to do that.

The gym is a bit easier to access from the LAN area, so once Beat finishes a workout and zaps the soreness out of himself, he heads downstairs and zaps the overworkedness out of everyone else.

Great!

Um

So

Who the fuck is Melissa Thibodeaux?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:38 pm

It's Monday, so it's collection day for all the investments around town the house has bought into. And Monday comes after Sunday, which is the day when the three writers collect their royalty checks.

So I do some redecorating. Look at all this fucking space, once I get rid of the straight stairs! I move the LAN back downstairs, with the chessboard to one side, and a globe in the middle for decoration.

The second floor is even more open. Kitchen and dining is at the bottom there, with a reading nook off to the left. Zara's watching TV in the top-right. I'm gonna get you guys a Foosball table pretty soon, but other than that I'm open to your suggestions for what to do with all this space. Fill it with bookshelves for a personal library? Install an art gallery? Put in a swimming pool?

Top-left is Beat's gym. Top-right is Brent's bedroom. Bottom-right is Ada's bedroom. Bottom-left is Zara's bedroom. Center is Silver's bedroom.

Top-left is Beat's bedroom. Top-right is Brentai's... well, I wasn't sure what to put in Brentai's space, so I made it a music room with his own stereo and some CD racks. Bottom-left and bottom-right are studios for Ada and Zara respectively. Center is... an empty room, because I drew a blank when it came to anything Silver needed for her own. I guess a full-length mirror and several dressers full of clothes would be right on, now that I think on it some more.

The roof is slate on each tower, with a flat roof on the rest. I could turn it into a deck if you guys want one, by replacing the roof with a proper floor.

Could use some windows, I think.

The mighty Brontocastleus, this time not shaped like an actual dinosaur.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:57 pm

Four of us eat dinner, Zara shouts into his soup.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:20 pm

It's macaroni and cheese. You should know, you cooked it.

(And he's pulling up his chair, having just sat down. I have to take screenshots of group meals quickly, because usually once the dronejam around the serving plate clears enough for the last person to grab a plate, the first person's done eating.)