Korra

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Korra

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:49 pm

As much as I hate "I agree" posts, I feel it necessary to say that I agree with everything that's been posted about this episode.

Izumi reminds me too much of Captain Varrot and I temporarily forgot what I was watching.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:54 pm

Brentai wrote:As much as I hate "I agree" posts, I feel it necessary to say that I agree with everything that's been posted about this episode.

Izumi reminds me too much of Captain Varrot and I temporarily forgot what I was watching.

Well, if it's any consolation, I saw "Captain Varrot" and had to double-check what thread I was in.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:30 pm

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:37 am

Pretty sure this is canon now.

EDIT: Wait a minute why is Lin driving?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:11 am

Man, Bolin has become excruciating even with other characters directly lampshading how dumb he is.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:03 am

has become?
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:05 am

It's not just that the other characters have all grown and he hasn't. I'm pretty sure he's actually gotten significantly worse since the first season.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:26 am

I'd say it's mostly in this season and during the back half of season 2 that he crosses the line from being a lovable screwup to being, well, kind of inappropriately oblivious all the time. Both of these periods involve a story arc where Bolin's naivete causes him to do some very inappropriate things and then have to deal with the consequences of them though, so at least they're being consistent.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Maybe. But under that analysis, I would say that this season's behaviour stretches well back into season 3. His interactions were pretty hard to watch the first time they were back at Xao Fu. Or his first reunion with Opal.

EDIT: I also think that season 2 worked a lot better because "awkward, desperate lovelorn guy takes advice from know-it-all crackpot, winds up with crazy girlfriend" is something a lot more believable (and for some viewers, a lot closer to home), than... whatever it is Bolin has become.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:36 pm

Not sure what I think of the most recent episode. Felt rushed again. Also kind of lamely Deus Ex Mecha. Structurally it was okay. I did sort of like that they showed how dumb Varrick was about Zhu Li by making him be dumber than Bolin.

EDIT: I am starting to realize how much I'm cringing when certain characters or situations show up. Ugh, god, please go away Prince Wu. I can't believe we're still doing the "Kid's show lionizes monarchy while depicting the monarch as a complete and utter moron." trope in 2014.

They're also doing a lot of "tell, not show." stuff. Like that Wu moment - that wasn't charisma, that sounded awful (granted charisma can be somewhat hard to write - it's like the problem of writing intelligence). Or at the end of the last episode the way the Beifong reconciliation was done. The outcome and general character were right, but if you actually listened to the words they were saying, or noticed the fact that the camera actually shows no reaction shots of Lin at all, that scene was a fucking car crash (and that's before you account for Bolin being OH GOD BOLIN JUST GO AWAY).

It's getting to the point where this is starting to sink down to Season 2 levels here.

Büge

Dialogue from the cutting room floor

Postby Büge » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Korra: Okay, Bataar, start talking! How and why did you keep your giant mecha-tank a secret?
Bataar Jr: It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Great Uniter loves surprises.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:33 pm

Is Kuvira just holding a literal Villain Ball or what? Like is she possessed by Vaatu or something? She keeps doing dumb villainous shit for no reason other than because she's the dumb villain.

And yeah the Wu scene was pretty badly done all around. It's not that hard to make Wu seem like a competent monarch; hell, up to now I thought he was the perfect specimen of modern royalty: zero interest in meddling in the affairs of far more capable politicians, but a keen focus on preserving the traditions of a culture in the face of industrialization (it just happens that Earth Kingdom culture involves a lot of ridiculous parties featuring large animals). But I think they were so keen on giving him a King's Speech moment that they forced it into one of the most awkward possible situations to have an inspirational speech. He's literally trying to give people the courage to run away.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:13 am

This season has just been awful when I get to thinking about it. All my fears about time wasted in the bloated early episodes leading to a rushed finale are coming true.

I think that under all this, structurally, the plot is fine, but the execution has been HORRIFIC and the past couple episodes have reeeeallly been a mess. Pacing has been terrible and dialogue and characterization are really hurting. I mean, the episodes are okaaaay when I watch them, though I find myself uneasy or crining in spots. But every time I let myself think a little more after the episode is over, I feel like I see more leaks in this boat. Like remember Toph's throwaway line to Bolin about how even morons could learn metalbending? Well, guess what, either that line just goes nowhere and does nothing, or Bolin's going to get an ability unlock ass-pull two season in a row. Cause we only have two episodes left to wrap up this trainwreck in.

For a long while I figured that the one major victory of the season had been that they'd at least managed to show Korra maturing. But she's not really maturing so much as she's been sapped of all personality to the point where she's like a paper cutout with "RESPONSIBLE ADULT" written on it in sharpie.

Even with all those complaints, I could have bought so much time being wasted on the whole "Korra will need time to get back to normal. This was a SERIOUS and LIFE-CHANGING event." if they hadn't undone it by having it be trivially resolved in five minutes in a manner that didn't even really have anything to do with all the time Korra spent struggling to get well.

I now think that without Varrick, I would easily have rated this season as the worst and even with Varrick I'm really not sure. Which is really sad considering season 3 was easily the best season.

Mongrel

Re: Dialogue from the cutting room floor

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:20 am

Büge wrote:Korra: Okay, Bataar, start talking! How and why did you keep your giant mecha-tank a secret?
Bataar Jr: It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Great Uniter loves surprises.

Imagining General Iroh having Buck Turgidson's voice is the best.

"Mister President. I smell a big fat Earth Kingdom Rat." *chews gum furiously*

"Now Mister President! Y-you can't just let Bataar Junior in here?! Why... why he'll see everything! He'll see the big board!"

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:32 pm

Korra's transition, outside of the whole "I can't bend this metal out without resolving my internal conflict!" "Korra there's a villain out there bend all that metal out!" "Okay!" sequence, has actually been one of the few satisfying things. I mean she doesn't immediately abandon all hothead tendencies, she really does succumb quickly to the temptation to try and solve the Kuvira problem by hitting her in the face with rocks despite her attempts at pacifism, and she's still breaking the roads in Republic City without a thought. The clean resolution of her Zaheer bullshit was Zaheer's lack of character, not hers.

What I'm disappointed about is that I thought at first this season was going to tackle the big elephant-in-the-room question, "Does the world really need an Avatar any more?" But at this point I think it's just been accepted that the answer is "Yes" and the answer to the followup question, "Does the Avatar really need to be involved in geopolitical conflicts?" is also "Yes". We've gone from "Should Korra really shove a rock into Kuvira's face?" to "How is Korra going to shove a rock into Kuvira's face?"

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Look, when Magic Hitler comes calling with a mecha, you can't really defeat that with conventional warfare.

Honestly, I've been loving this season. There's bits that could be better, but I am really enjoying the ride and very curious where it's going. I would be surprised if it's something as conventional as Korra punching Kuvira until she stops - this show has always been about concluding seasons with major shakeups to the status quo.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Korra defeats Kuvira through Earth Nation internment camps. Shit gets deep.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:46 am

If you take a look at Korra's established core personality traits, you see some interesting things this season:

- Hotheaded/"Rebellious"
- Confident
- Stubborn/Tenacious
- Loyal

The first has been greatly tempered. The second one was knocked down along with the third. I suppose they could say she's morphed to having a more mature confidence - a more genuine leadership skill - but they haven't really shown that (this is something else that's hard to write). The third was sort of... thrown out with the first half of the fourth season, though I guess that's debatable. She still has it as a character trait now that she's recovered, but they're not emphasizing it as much. The last one... well, that really feels like it was sort of lamely thrown out when she never sent any mail to anyone but Asami. I mean, she even ditched her friggin' dog just so she could remain incognito. They never really dealt with this either in spite of Mako actually directly calling her out on it.

So what's left? "Hero who refuses to give up" is kind of part of the job description, so I'm not really giving them too much credit on that one. What else is there?

To me, the first being toned down so much matters because for a long time that really was the bulk of Korra's whole personality. Rah rah I'm a rebel, I do what I want. It's cool that she's grown and matured such that she's not as much of an idiot hothead, but at times her other personality traits were neglected, so there's not much else to come to the fore to fill the flavourless personality void. What other aspects she did have have mostly been undermined or inexplicably subverted.

I mean, she's not completely without flavour or devoid of all personality, and as Brent points out she's still capable of rash action. I see it as a failure, but not a complete collapse.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:40 am

Series is over.

That's... a pretty loaded ending right there. Lot's of... uh, subtext.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
For the White Witch!

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:07 pm

And so, the ship sails into the sunset.