Deals on Things

Thad

Deals on Things

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Mel Brooks Collection
(affiliate link)

Warning: does not contain The Producers or Spaceballs.

Grath

Re: Deals on Things

Postby Grath » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:35 pm

Thad wrote:Mel Brooks Collection
(affiliate link)

Warning: does not contain The Producers or Spaceballs.

Note that you can pay $3 more for the Blu-Ray collection and that includes Spaceballs.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:07 pm

Awesome Mix vol 1 free on Google Play.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Ever wanted to own a piece of Burt Reynolds film history? He's selling it!

François

Postby François » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:55 pm

No mustache no sale.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:18 pm

If you guys have been interested in a pebble watch, their website is selling the basic for $79 and the steel for $149 with free shipping.

(Doesn't exactly fit the theme of the thread but hey. Better than in games?)

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:13 am

Holy balls, you guys:

You can get a two-pack of The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus AND A Wish for Wings That Work for six bucks on Amazon.

You're welcome.

(And yes, that's an affiliate link.)

EDIT: It appears that it is not the Rankin/Bass version of Life and Adventures. So this deal does not quite reach the "Holy balls, you guys" level of excitement I originally indicated. Oh well, I'll leave it here because A Wish for Wings That Work is still pretty great.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:09 pm

No idea at all where to put this: Google Earth Pro is now free

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:18 pm

They Might Be Giants perform the entirety of Flood Live in Australia; free download if you give them a valid E-Mail address.

So far I've only listened to the first couple tracks (Road Movie to Berlin and They Might Be Giants -- the tracks are in the opposite order they were on the original album) but they're good. Road Movie has a verse that wasn't in the studio version, and TMBG is a bit faster and, obviously, has a new instrumentation for live performance instead of the artificial sounds on the original (emphasis on guitar, keyboards, and backup vocals).

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:48 am

That extra verse was in the liner notes, though, and it always mystified me.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:08 pm

Thad wrote:They Might Be Giants perform the entirety of Flood Live in Australia; free download if you give them a valid E-Mail address.

So far I've only listened to the first couple tracks (Road Movie to Berlin and They Might Be Giants -- the tracks are in the opposite order they were on the original album) but they're good. Road Movie has a verse that wasn't in the studio version, and TMBG is a bit faster and, obviously, has a new instrumentation for live performance instead of the artificial sounds on the original (emphasis on guitar, keyboards, and backup vocals).

Supposedly they did something similar when they came though here awhile back. I missed it because I'd already seen them and I had work, and I've been kicking myself for it ever since. I'll check this out when I get home.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:38 pm

Yeah, they do it pretty frequently from what I've read.

A few months back they were giving away a concert version of their first album.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:22 am

The ebook version of The Atrocity Archives is $1.99 through the end of the month. (Note that this is Penguin, not Tor, so there's DRM applied.)

If you're not familiar with it, it's the first of Charlie Stross's Laundry series. Think James Bond meets HP Lovecraft meets Office Space. One of my favorites of the past decade.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:04 am

Current Humble Weekly Bundle is standup albums, heavy on the Bill Hicks. And there are daily freebies, too; as of right now you can get Andy Haynes' Greatest Hits for nothin'.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:08 pm

The Bloodline Feud by Charles Stross is half-price on Kobo and Amazon (and probably other assorted ebook vendors too). Not sure if it's intended as a permanent price drop (give the readers a taste of the first book for cheap so they're likelier to buy it and the sequels) or just a temporary one.

That Amazon link is, per usual, an affiliate link. Whereas Kobo has a deal where they kick part of the sale back to local bookstores. Check if your favorite local bookstore has a deal with them; if not, mine does and you can sign up through them. It's a Tor book, so both the Kobo and Amazon versions should be DRM-free.

Bloodline Feud is the first book/first two books of the Merchant Princes series (which was originally written as a trilogy, hacked up into a sextet instead, and recently re-edited back into a trilogy). It's a pretty clever take on the many-worlds genre, with an emphasis on the economic implications of traveling between parallel earths. It also takes a rather smart and well-considered look at the usual tropes of divergence and reconvergence, and has a well-thought-out ruleset for how traveling between worlds works (only certain people can do it; it's tied to a recessive gene; it takes a physical toll and so can only be done a maximum of a few times a day; they can take objects or other people with them but only what they can carry) and what the implications of those rules are, narratively, technologically, and sociopolitically.

I really enjoyed the first two books and am about to buy the third. I think the worldbuilding is fantastic and Stross is at the top of his speculative game. It was written in 2002, so the stuff set on "our world" is kinda in that uncanny valley where it's just recent enough for me to frequently forget it's not set in the present and just outdated enough that I get occasionally jarred out of the narrative when I'm reminded of it by references to, say, PDA's, and the administration's intent to go to war with Iraq. But that's not really a criticism so much as the nature of near-future SF.

There's a new trilogy coming, set in the same universe(s). I'm interested in seeing Stross revisit it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:38 pm

15% off Rifftrax using the coupon code RIFFNINE, tonight only.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:03 am

Gaiman rarities in the new Humble Books Bundle. Also, CBLDF Defender #1 is free right now. (For those who don't know, CBLDF is the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which, among other things, provides legal assistance to people who are charged with criminal offenses for possessing or selling comic books that someone decides they shouldn't possess or sell.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:51 pm

Adding: I don't know of this happening before, but the average donation to the Gaiman bundle is actually more than the $15 intended as the "top" level. So the (so far) eight books intended as the middle tier have become the top tier, with the four books in the $15 "top" tier going for (at the time of this writing) $4.40 less.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Current Humble Books Bundle is a science fiction library featuring an A-B-C of the overlords of the genre: Asimov! Bester! Clarke!

I've actually never read any Bester or Zelazny; I've kinda been meaning to do something about that.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:44 pm

What about Ray Bradbury?