Forum Rules

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Forum Rules

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:56 pm

There's a lot I have to say about this topic, but unfortunately I'm rather busy at work, so please be patient until I can explain instead of making any assumptions about the New Normal.

TedBelmont

Re: Forum Rules

Postby TedBelmont » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:00 pm

We're getting bought by Yahoo aren't we

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:03 pm

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:04 pm

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:30 pm

All right, so. New look, new atmosphere means we have a chance to rewrite some of the

Smiler wrote:

that have been the defining traits of this place up to now. So let me clarify what I think the moderation standards around here moving forward should look like.

First, the old Pyoko/Gamespite wisdom, that you shouldn't be browsing these forums at work, is pretty much toast. We're all older now and most of the really active posters here seem to be engaged in doing exactly that. So, it comes down to a choice between slashing our already anemic activity level if it turns out they can't do that any more, or just asking people to do their best to be aware of other people's situations when they post. Given those two choices, I'd pick the latter.

So, what else isn't allowed? Hopefully, not a whole lot.

I'm well aware that a lot of people found the culture of the previous incarnation of the boards, where Administrators could simply excise and quash whatever parts of a conversation they found to be stupid, to be rather stifling. In my opinion I think we should try to get away from that. I know we've already got our jail all built and furnished down there, just waiting for new tenants, but I'd like to see that place remain empty for as long as humanly possible, if we can't just take the damn thing down.

We need to stop banning people just because they're relentless pests, because their posts are hard to read, or because they made really offensive use of a video game cover. Try to get along with people instead of asking the admin team to kick them out or shut them up. Brontoforumus is not an organized religion, we don't have to exclude people who don't conform to our standards of living.

There are still those common sense limits, of course. Threatening, harassing or attempting to compromise the privacy of other people are things that aren't okay to do anywhere. Attempts to destabilize the software will be answered with the appropriate measures. And it'd be nice to avoid anything that might invite visits from the CIA.

In short: The Administration team is here to protect you from harm, not from irritation.

If you have any comments on this, please post them.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Also: I realize that that post may sound like it's mostly implicating other administrators. It's not. I take full responsibility for personally being most of the reason why the old forums were such a tyrannical clownshoe.

Let's call this the new Pax de Brentai. I'm ready and willing to try and get along with each and every one of you all over again.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Does this mean we have to give eloH and CyanPrime another chance when they come back?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Nobody is currently banned and I'd like to keep it that way until it becomes actually necessary (i.e. somebody becomes unmanageably abusive). So, by default, yes.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Brentai wrote:So, it comes down to a choice between slashing our already anemic activity level if it turns out they can't do that any more, or just asking people to do their best to be aware of other people's situations when they post. Given those two choices, I'd pick the latter.

So, there's the old chestnut of always describing your links accurately, especially if said links are offensive, violent or sexual in nature.
For the White Witch!

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:18 pm

I... didn't really find that the previous incarnation of the Brontoforums were all that oppressive. I guess some people got into fights with an Admin once in a while, but... eh?

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:41 pm

[REDACTED]

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:44 pm

The profanity filter is there to encourage you to learn that options exist, and to amuse Brentai.
...but is it art?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:46 pm

We can turn it off if it's not amusing anybody else, I just liked having that piece of old Pyoko back.

sei

Postby sei » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:09 pm

I don't mind the filter. It's easy to turn off, too.

Also,
Brentai wrote:First, the old Pyoko/Gamespite wisdom, that you shouldn't be browsing these forums at work, is pretty much toast. We're all older now and most of the really active posters here seem to be engaged in doing exactly that. So, it comes down to a choice between slashing our already anemic activity level if it turns out they can't do that any more, or just asking people to do their best to be aware of other people's situations when they post. Given those two choices, I'd pick the latter.
I am fine with this.

Any interest in having NSFW topic labels? I assume we don't want to revive Lust of yore, but it would be cool for there to still, somewhere, be a place for Frocto's Pachinko Sexy Reaction LPs, Niku showing us that we haven't really quite yet been exposed to all of the horrors of the internet, etc..

Brentai wrote:I'm well aware that a lot of people found the culture of the previous incarnation of the boards, where Administrators could simply excise and quash whatever parts of a conversation they found to be stupid, to be rather stifling. In my opinion I think we should try to get away from that. I know we've already got our jail all built and furnished down there, just waiting for new tenants, but I'd like to see that place remain empty for as long as humanly possible, if we can't just take the grape thing down.
In short: The Administration team is here to protect you from harm, not from irritation.
Thank you.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:27 pm

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:31 pm

I think labeled NSFW topics should be fine anywhere, yeah. As long as the tag is in front I don't foresee people opening them by accident (and I don't think anybody's going to actually use feeds).

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:15 pm

One person will claim to use it and ruin everyone else's fun like always.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:24 pm

This is all very level headed and agreeable. How sad!

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:29 am

Brentai wrote:I know we've already got our jail all built and furnished down there, just waiting for new tenants, but I'd like to see that place remain empty for as long as humanly possible, if we can't just take the damn thing down.

I'm once again going to request that we not do the Guild Hall thing again. I still think we're eventually going to have a case where conversations get so toxic that they need to be pruned, but an entire subforum for trolls named after a troll that encourages trolling was never a good idea. (Having a private forum is fine! I just don't think it should serve a dual purpose as a punishment forum. Also if we want it to be private we should probably raise the postcount threshold, but I understand wanting to wait until there are people with more than a couple of dozen posts.)

I'm also going to suggest that the couple of guys who've actually, say, tried to get people investigated by federal law enforcement and tried to post satellite photos of people's houses not be allowed back. But that's not really an immediate concern.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:04 pm

That seems like it would fall under harmful abuse, Thad.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem