Eat to level up! Let's Play Adventure Bar Story!

nosimpleway

Re: Eat to level up! Let's Play Adventure Bar Story!

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 11:46 am

Almost!

It's not long before we spot the terrible sea monster that's holding Lar in its iron grip.

Siela needs to work on her pre-fight banter.

The monster turns out to be a giant squid, so it has lots of tentacles to hold towns in its grip.

It's also crazy strong.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 11:56 am

You know what I need to do some more? Grind out ingredients in Otts Lake! Yeah!

Alter tells a little more of his backstory. His buddy named Tosh went out on an adventure when the two of them were both still rookies. Alter ran away, and Tosh died, presumably because he was too busy making dick jokes to flee.

I keep posting these end-of-day sales numbers, but I guess tracking the progress of time isn't all that important.

That's probably gonna be handy. Holy Waters are only available in shops if you buy them with gems, and you'll recall gems are the ingame monetization scheme. I'm not forking over real cash for a Phoenix Down, thanks.

Another Drunk skill. This one is a physical hit, but as far as I can tell, it's an extra attack per level of drunkenness.

The man isn't eating well because he bought a new fishing pole, and is worried what will happen when his wife finds out he now owns two.

So he gives us the old one. His wife presumably doesn't pay close enough attention to the man's pole, and whether that's a comment on the likelihood of his tradeoff scheme working or a comment on his sex life given the information we have on his relationship is left as an exercise for the reader.

Anyway, we head out the next day for another Giant Squid fight. The very first thing it does is fire a water gun at Alter to take away about 3/4 of his max HP. Did I mention that sometimes it gets two turns in a row, and is therefore capable of taking even the toughest party member from full to KO before I can react? Yeah.

Alter spends the first several turns drinking himself into a stupor, Fred steals a neat fire-elemental spear, and Siela keeps everyone standing. Around drinky-level five or six Fred drops a Flame Rage on Alter to boost his attack power further, then Alter unleashes the fury of Drunken Rush. That's a big damage spike!

Unfortunately, Drunken Rush has the side effect of a few cups of really strong coffee and an ice-cold shower, and Alter is completely sober after he uses the attack. I have to start over, but with Fred and Siela getting the occasional hit in, the next Drunken Rush is enough to take the beast down for good.

Our reward is an accessory that prevents Silence attacks and a single fillet of toro tuna-belly.

Siela needs to work on her post-combat one-liners.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 12:01 pm

We return the boat to the fisherman, who returns our money as promised and gives us an extra $2000 he won gambling with our investment.

The guy up on the lighthouse gives us ten Metabolizers, each of which will reduce a person's Satiety by 10. He might as well have given me a crate of cabbages.

The Lar shop is still out of stock.

But I have this one really nice piece of fish! I could also make maki-sushi or nigiri without wasabi in it, but eh whatever.

There's always a choice to make when you get only one of a nice new recipe: do you eat it for the EXP, or sell it for cash? (That any given item is either EXP or cash, not both, is part of what makes the level-grinding so tedious, but I digress.) I usually end up selling it, since I can reinvest the money into ingredients I'm constantly running out of like Salt or Milk, and then turn those things into something else I can sell for money or eat for EXP.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Ah, Fire Island. There's seafood all over the place, like usual. The fruits here include bananas and pineapples, and sometimes the vegetable items are a Cacao bean.

And despite the geographical name, the most common monsters here are purely ice-elemental. In fact, checking the Secret Catalog entries, almost every monster here is weak to fire. As I mentioned before, Fred managed to nab himself a nice fire-elemental Brionac spear from the Giant Squid battle, so every swing or stab defeats a monster. Charge Lance can take out two at a time.

Another stone slab. This one has a path off to the side, though.

...a fishing spot? That's it? Does every stone slab just block the way to a place to fish?

Speaking of fishing, I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Fire Island is a short dungeon, only five or six screens.

Oh. Turns out you have to buy bait from Fred before you can fish. First ten hits are free, junkie.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 12:13 pm

New recipes? A couple. I can make parfait out of bananas and chocolate, puree bananas and pineapple into juice, and do a nice cup of hot chocolate to go with a banana pie.

There's a chocolate cake recipe, but I ran out of cacao to try it. Doing Hot Chocolate unlocked Royal Hot Chocolate, but that's not the hair-pulling frustration it was before.

No recipes for Sea Urchin came up, so I had to guess what to do with the two I had. I've only ever eaten Sea Urchin in sushi, so that was my guess.

Yatta!

Alter goes completely apeshit about urchin sushi.

So do Lidia and Kamerina. They eat up the first batch you make, for no gain in EXP or money.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 12:20 pm

I'm skipping the end-of-day sales records, but hey, it's June 10. Time for a contest!

I'm not even using the best recipes I have, and I'm still winning. You fools, this isn't even my final form.

There's no Tung to be found on Fire Island, but the mushroom monsters drop Blackshrooms and the cabbageish creatures drop more Sea Urchins. And I can make plenty of money with just those things.

Fishing seems to give you a random bit of seafood. That's... not surprising, really.

Alter gets his last skill, a hard single-target hit. I'm not even sure he needs to be drunk to do it.

Siela gets her last skill, an expensive but precious full-party cure. I haven't found any other way to do that, so I'll probably stop buying so many cure potions and just invest in mana potions from here on out.

Whoops

The blue crystal is a monster called a Water Fiend. It has nothing to steal and hits really hard, but Fred's fire spear takes it out in two hits.

I hope the people of Cassel like Truffles Pasta and Urchin sushi, because that may well be all I serve for a little while. I made thirteen pieces of sushi, sold out, and ended up making over $35k in salesof.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Do-It-Yourself Ingredients:
Miso, Mayonnaise, Ketchup, Sea Broth, Gelatin, Coffee Beans, Flour, Bread, Bread Crumbs, Pasta, Udon, Pie Dough, Pizza Dough, Butter, Cheese, Fresh Creme, Yogurt, G. Chicken, G. Pork, G. Beef, Ham, Bacon, Sausage, Lard, Stock, Seafood Mix, Creme Sauce

Consumable Items:
Meat Bait: Chicken, Beef, or Pork
Bombs: Spike, Spike+, Poison, Blind, Silence, Paralyze

Edible Food:
Salted: Cabbage, Cucumber, Beets, Napa, Daikon, Plum
Honeyed Lemon
Pickled...: Beets, Cucumbers, Squid, Octopus, Seaweed, Herring, Tuna
Caviar (Turns out it's shark eggs. idk)
Riceballs: Plain, Miso, Plum, Seaweed, Shrimp, Salmon, Tunamayo
Sushi: Herring, Mackerel, Flatfish, Seabream, Tuna, Shrimp, Scallop, Squid, Octopus, Salmon, Egg, Premium Tuna (with or without wasabi)
Maki Sushi: Tuna, Cucumber, Crab, Sea Urchin
Cucumber Stick
Vegie Sticks
Caprese
Iced Tomatoes
Soy Brothers
Tofu & Plum
Sandwiches: Veggie, Egg Salad, Ham, Ham & Cheese, Tuna, BLT
Sliced Apple
Sliced Sausage
Sashimi: Mackerel, Flatfish, Tuna, Squid, Octopus
Dried Herring
Octopus Wasabi
Salads: Lettuce, Daikon, Tomato, Caesar, Chicken, Sealeaf, Mushroom, Tofu and Carrot, Tofu and Seaweed, Truffle
Carpaccio: Beef, Bream, Tuna
Marinated: Shrimp, Salmon, Otts Trout
Parfait: Mocha, Strabry, Melon, Chestnt, Yogurt, Green Tea, Banana, Chocolate
Fruit Punch
Mushroom Rice variations 1 and 2
Risotto: Bean, Chestnut, Squid, Sea Bream Rice, Sealeaf Rice, Chicken, Pork
Bowls: Pork, Beef, Tempura
Udon: Plain, Egg Drop, Curry, Beef, Chicken
Miso Soup: Variations 1/2/3, Pork, Potato
Porchetta
Sauteed Flatfish
Stuffed Cabbage
Mushroom Pork (that is actually chicken)
Pork and Beef Potatoes
Steamed Chicken
Pot-au-feu and Otts Pot-au-feu
Soups Otts Chowder, Clam Chowder, Carrot, Onion, Bean, Corn, Sealeaf, Minestrone, Tom Yum, Shark Fin, Misto
Edamame
Curry: Chicken, Pork, Beef, Veggie, Seafood
_____ in Creme Sauce: Beets, Mushroom, Chicken, Pork, Beef, Tung, Seafood
Smoked: Egg, Garuda Egg, Trout, Salmon
J-J-Jam: Strawberry, Apple, Marmalade, Cherry, Plum
It Is Jelloy: Strawberry, Grape, Orange, Peach
Hot Milk
Teas: Green, Milk, Iced, Apple, Lemon, and Royal versions of each of those.
Scrambled Egg variations 1 and 2, and Scrambled Garuda Egg versions 1 and 2
Ham & Egg and Ham & Garuda Egg
Bacon & Egg and Bacon & Garuda Egg
Omelets: Plain, Garuda, Cheese, Spanish
Grilled: Ham, Crispy Bacon, Sausage, Herring, Mackerel, Bream, Squid, Riceballs, Tung
Cheesy Eggplant
Stuffed Greens
Mushroom & Soy
Stir Fry: Veggie, Mushroom, Udon
Pepper Steak
Shrimp & Mayo
German Potato
Patties: Pork, Beef, Cheese
Tako Yaki
Meuniere: Flatfish, Trout, Salmon
Okonomiyaki: Squid, Pork
Fried Rice: Plain, Seafood D., Shrimp, Crab, Butter
Sauteed Clams
Sauteed Scallops
Pasta: Carbonara, Napolitan, Bolognese, Pescatore, Pepperoncino, Black (Squid-Ink), Truffles, in Creme Sauce, in Creme Sauce with Crab, in Creme Sauce with Tuna, Japanese-style
Hot Cake
Juice: Tomato, Veggie, Cabbage, Lettuce, Strawberry, Apple, Grape, Orange, Cherry, Melon, Peach, Banana, Pineapple
Coffee: Black, au Le, Cappuccino, Iced, Ice au Le, and Royal versions of each of those.
Hot Cocoa
Butter Potato
Cheese & Tomato
Oven Apple
Cookies
Pies: Apple, Cherry, Peach, Lemon, Meat, Banana, Mille-feuille
Pizza: Green Peppers, Mushroom, Chili, Seafood
Casseroles: Gratin, Shrimp Doria, Chicken Doria
Roasts: Chicken, Beef, Sea Bream, Herb Tuna
Cakes: Carrot, Short
Breads: Raison, Carrot, Melon
Mont Blanc
Creme Caramel
French Fries
Onion Rings
Fried: Herring, Shrimp, Squid Rings, Pork, Beef, Chicken, Tuna, Beardfish, Chicken Tenders
Croquettes: Pork, Beef, Crab, Corn
Fried Chicken
Tempura: Eggplant, Potato, Onion, Shrimp, Squid
Doughnut Bread
Doughnut
Booze: Wine, Beer, Cider, Bourbon Whiskey, Sake, Vodka, Plum Wine, Kumis

Hint Recipes:
Sushi (premium tuna)
____, ____, ____, Bare Hands

Maki (premium tuna)
____, Rice, Vinegar, Nori, Bare Hands

Eel Bowl
Rice, Eel, _____, _____, Pot
Pork and Beef bowls want Soy Sauce and Onion, but that ain't it. Tempura Bowl takes Eggplant.

SweetSour Pork
____, Pineapple, _____, _____
The description for the recipe says "Pineapple?" but that's the only thing I'm sure of. After the Mushroom Pork recipe, I'm not even sure this one calls for pig parts.

Yogurt Cream
Yogurt, _____, _____, _____, Blender

Chocolate Cake
_____, _____, Sugar, Fresh Creme, Oven
I'm guessing Cocoa and Flour, although how you make a chocolate cake without eggs and butter must be a secret of Japanese-style pastry.

Cheese Cake
Cheese, _____, _____, _____, Oven

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 4:34 pm

There's a tiny shoal just offshore; the only one on the map. As unique terrain is wont to do, it indicates a secret passage. There's some water here that's shallow enough to walk through, leading to a tiny island offscreen.

On the island is a Silver Tray, which... uh, which bunnies use. Maybe.

There's also a fishing spot, which provides mobs of three Sahaguin and three Water Fiends.

Which will pelt you with Ice Ball, Blizzard, and Avalanche until you die.

What are they protecting? A source of Platinum/Premium Tuna, that's what.

As I'd hoped, Lidia has picked up her last two skills. One hits all foes, one reduces random encounters.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 4:38 pm

More cacao, more recipes.

Alfine reminds us all that her life's goal is to find a dessert that helps you lose weight. And her diligent workaholic studies have given her a lead: the people in the desert to the west are really skinny, see...

Seila is understandably skeptical, but it's a step to opening the next area.

Fred has the details, as usual. You need to sign a waiver to enter the desert so it's no one else's fault if you wither up and die.

You bump into Gustav on the way in, and see the queen again on her way out. The queen is magnanimous and Gustav is a shithead, like usual, and the Western Desert opens up.

But first!

I help Alfine buy a book.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 4:47 pm

I savescum some previous dungeons to see if there's anything good to fish out of them. The pond in Brusso gives small healing potions, and the creek in the woods gives small mana potions. Silkreef has a spot that gives, um, Holy Water. So ignore all that stuff I said before about it only being available for real moneys.

One of the spots in Otts Lake provides no ingredients better than Salmon, but the monster mob includes a crab club I haven't seen before. I can steal and drop Mandrakes from it.

...which are farm seeds. This is going to take a little while to pay off.

But anyway, that weird little peninsula in Otts Lake? Not a fishing spot. Huh.

Despite that we're feeding her regularly (because you can only level up by eating food, don't forget), a cutscene back home has Alfine starving herself and staying up all night to study. Characters in this game have only one dimension to their personalities, Alfine's is "workaholic".

(Alter's is, uh, "alcoholic". These people are defined by their addictions.)

There wasn't even a hint recipe for this one. I just thought I'd try it, and behold, random experimentation actually worked this time!

Smoking cheese opens up smoked chicken.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 4:50 pm

I'm pretty sure "does this piece of media have a young girl who expresses insecurity about the size of her breasts" is a Japanese variant of the Bechdel test.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 5:00 pm

Oh?

Feed the guy enough, and he teaches you the secrets of advanced pizzacrafting before going on a diet and refusing any more.

The traveling peddler who swings into Cassel from Lar brought some sea urchins with him. Which was awfully nice, even though they're really expensive.

A truffle and king crab pizza, huh. I can see why that goes for nearly $9000.

The hint provides the dough and cheese. It's up to you to figure out which meats to use. (Third time's a charm, it's not beef/pork or g. beef/g. pork.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 5:16 pm

A lady comes in for dinner. Alter thinks she's pretty. But she doesn't have a name or a portrait, so I assume that's the end of that.

Unless you figure out the difference in Food Effect: Heat Resistance and Food Effect: Resist Fire +25, which I just did. I tried taking Cold Resistance to the fight with the three Water Fiends, and boy did that not work. Knowing that would have been useful back when I was struggling through Otts Cave...

There are new monsters here, of course, including the deliciously sweet Dessert Wolf and its creamy, fluffy counterpart the Dessert Hawk.

Cactuses are readily available here, naturally.

The Desert Star -- described as being an aloe -- is what we came for.

There are ruins in the desert, natch. I can't open them yet, but they're there.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed May 20, 2015 5:18 pm

Sheesh we just walked in the door get off my shaft

Hey, I was right! I can make tequila!

Aloe aloe, wot's all this?

Alfine eats it. Good for her.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu May 21, 2015 12:03 am

Have you found a specific element that consistently drops blackshrooms? Holy spells will force tung drops from cows.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 21, 2015 12:15 am

I didn't know that's how drops worked.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu May 21, 2015 12:28 am

Lydia mentions it if you talk to her.
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu May 21, 2015 12:28 am

"Depending on how you finish a monster off, you receive different stuff at the end of battle."
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Thu May 21, 2015 2:32 am

Seems maaaaaaybe like earth spells increase blackshroom drops...
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu May 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Since learning this information I have discovered that there are several monsters who cannot be encouraged to drop their rares through application of the physical, fire, cold, earth, wind, dark, or holy elements. I'd be rolling in sea urchins by now if it were otherwise.