QUILTBAG

McDohl

Re: QUILTBAG

Postby McDohl » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:41 pm

All nega-homos report to your local GAYDOME for your SCOTUS mandated (lol) court-appointed gay marriage.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Joxam wrote:Nah that's just how the SCOTUS works now. They HAVE to have it done by the end of June so the last week of June gets all the "we are going to wait until we can't wait anymore" votes.

Sure, there's a mundane and concrete reason for WHY the rulings all came on June 26th, but that doesn't mean that it's not also a convenient day for celebrations.

I haven't read any of them, but apparently each of the four dissenting Justices wrote their own separate dissension, each of which is salty in its own special way. Like some lawyer friends were mentioning that Alito's is batshit loco? Need to look this up when I have a bit.

EDIT: Here's Boingboing's take on Justices' leanings

*sniggering*

EDIT2: Wow, holy shit. In his dissent, Thomas argues that chattel slavery is not a loss of dignity in an attempt to justify denying Gay Marriage.

The corollary of that principle is that human dignity cannot be taken away by the government. Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved. Those held in internment camps did not lose their dignity because the government confined them. And those denied governmental benefits certainly do not lose their dignity because the government denies them those benefits. The government cannot bestow dignity, and it cannot take it away.

Even if you kind of hairsplit your reading of that line, so as to be in Thomas' favour as much as possible (i.e. ignoring that in practice slavery is about as big a loss of dignity as you can suffer, in favour of philosophical blather about the "essential dignity of man"), it's still really awkward and maybe you should have picked a different analogy, Clarence?

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Yeah. I'm trying to be magnanimous in victory but I'll be honest, I have not been able to hear a single line of the dissents without saying "WAAAAAAAH".

Roberts's is pretty special. The bit about "this has nothing to do with the Constitution" is just so utterly petty. I didn't say that when you declared that corporations were people, you dick.

The part about how people who are in favor of gay marriage should be upset because they've been denied the opportunity to pass it legislatively...uh, okay. Should we be mad that the courts ended segregation, too?

But you know what, fuck those guys. Why be negative?

Last week was a really shitty week. This week is a much better one. Not that those two things cancel each other out, obviously, and not that this means homophobia is over. But once again we see the arc of history bending toward justice. And hey, Justice Kennedy has secured his legacy.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:22 pm

That's actually a catty swipe at Ginsburg. She got on the map in the 80s with a law review article saying Roe v. Wade is a good decision but should have been narrower, because the public was warming up to reproductive rights at the time and the Supreme Court coming in with that sweeping decision galvanized the opposition.

(Kennedy still sucks)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:42 pm

Didn't know he was mocking Ginsburg. Yeah, that makes it even more childish.

Yeah, Kennedy still sucks. But I'll always admire him for this no matter how consistently he pisses me off otherwise. (Hell, Scalia did a masterful job in Brown v EMA. I'm willing to give credit where it's due even if I don't like the justice very much.)

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:25 pm

FTR he wasn't dissing RBG; he was throwing a little shade on her scholarship, which is 100% fair game. I'll allow it!

Also FTR my problem with Kennedy is less any particular outcome he might have wanted in a particular opinion than the flowery, non-precedent-forming, wanna-be-poet-laureate bullshit he cloaks it in. We rely on SCOTUS decisions to tell us precisely what lower courts should do going forward; it's not Kennedy's personal writing workshop.

I'm seeing people wonder why polygamy shouldn't be legal now, and while there are a TON of reasons polygamy shouldn't be legal and gay marriage needn't legally presage it at. all. they all maybe go out the window because Kennedy desperately wanted to drop soundbites about the Constitution elevating personal choice above all considerations that would sound great in a movie.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:55 pm

That's fair. But I think he earned some slack on that front with the DOMA ruling -- his majority there set some real and concrete precedent that led us right up to today.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:53 am

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:57 am

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:14 am

Or in that your moral code burned and fell down?

François

Postby François » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:25 am

Eh? Last I heard, the Federal Reserve Bank was still standing.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:20 am

I am pretty sure that his analogy is not going to stand no matter from which angle the plane flies into it.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:51 am

Maybe he means that there will be conspiracy theories that people will latch on to.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Actually, so far my favourite response to that tweet has been "Someone tell him that the collapse of his morality was an inside job".

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:59 pm

Fischer is insane. The man is from an alternate reality where the more crazy and conservative you are, the more lasers shoot out of your eyes and everyone is trying to kill you all the time so you need the biggest possible laser

in that world his actions are understandable
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Yeah, I think we've seen him before in this thread or in the GOP one, but he's just known for being a senile batshit wingnut. Not really worth going down the rabbit hole of his rainbow swirl of crazy.

I am loving that tweet, though.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Romosome

Postby Romosome » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:02 pm

Still happy.

Bustin' makes me feel good

Stush

Postby Stush » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:13 am

Now I just hope Australia can do the same! It feels pretty inevitable, it's just frustrating that it's taking so damn long.

Stush

Postby Stush » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Just listened to a radio interview with one of our senators, it was infuriating that we let goddamn dinosaurs (Not the cool kind) like this have any power in our country, dude said that if we allow marriage equality, everyone's going to get sued, what a goddamn cheeseburger.

Anyway, I saw this on one of the comments about it, and i've seen this line of reasoning a bunch of times now.

"I'm still waiting for somebody to explain how this is an issue of discrimination. Homosexuals have exactly the same rights as everyone else, namely to marry a person of the opposite sex. What homosexuals want is not equal treatment, they want rights that nobody but nobody ever had, namely to marry someone of the same sex. How is it an issue of discrimination when they can do the same thing that we all can do?"

Don't you just love when people are so clever that it just wraps around to them being idiots?