Hottest Exquisite Knorpse Powerups

Moderators: Friday, LaserBeing

Hottest Exquisite Knorpse Powerups

Postby Newbie » Sat May 23, 2015 7:23 pm

Rank the Exquisite Knorpse upgrades from the Hottest to the Nottest. I will take scores until I get 7 responses or until Tuesday, May 26th arrives, whichever comes last, and then I will announce the Hottest Exquisite Knorpse Powerups.

LIKE SO:

1. Running (gotta go fast)
3. High-jumping (double-jump and high-jump are kind of interchangeable in my mind, but my poor carpals prefer the ability with fewer button presses these days)
4. Climbing (duh)
2. Rain-deflecting (would be higher, except umbrella mazes make me sad)
5. Double-jumping (or high jump, if I were younger)
6. Second-seeing (woooOOOooOOOOoo spoooky)
7. Purple-unlocking (fuck yeah, keys!)
8. Hologramming (useful, but it can trivialize certain kinds of challenges)
9. Red-unlocking
10. Blue-unlocking
11. Hostile-detecting (kinda dull, dull challenges)
12. Yellow-unlocking (FUCK YELLOW LOCKS EXPLICITLY)

Okay, now your turn!

GIMME YOUR LISTS
tiny text

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Hottest Exquisite Knorpse Powerups

Postby IGNORE ME » Sat May 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Knytt Stories now officially Exquisite Knorpse confirmed.

Postby Newbie » Sat May 23, 2015 8:22 pm

I wrote what I wrote.
tiny text

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue May 26, 2015 2:27 am

Hmm. I feel like my list would be:

1. Double Jump: This is the most interesting powerup and enables lots of cool shit in the engine. I feel like games without it (saltwater breach comes to mind) are just inferior.
2. Umbrella: Again, this adds dynamics to the gameplay. Slowfall, air currents that lift you, etc. It also blocks certain projectile (though not all) which adds more gameplay/design possibilities.
3. The Eye: I mostly just love this powerup because of its flavor. It's not really that amazing in terms of what it does, but it's fun to see old places radically transformed because of an item pickup.
4. Climbing: You could make a game without climbing and be interesting, actually, but including it is almost like opening up an entire dimension for Juni. Since you can manually make walls unclimbable, you are still free to design for unclimbable sections/challenges.
5. Hologram: As much as I hate this item because it trivializes so much of the enemies, it can be used to create cool "puzzle" like rooms, which is interesting.
6. Detector: Boring, but has a few interesting uses, like Niku's maze in EK1, or detecting secret doors/walls.
7. High Jump: Yawn. This does nothing dynamically as it is basically a key that forces a change in design from then on.
8. Run: I don't even consider this a powerup, really. Games that don't give you this are retarded. It can be used in a few interesting sections (yyler) or for thematic effect (Bongo's Hospital) but overall I think this item should just be included baseline.
9. The keys: They are literally keys. The only interesting thing I've ever seen done with them is yyler's key maze.
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue May 26, 2015 6:16 pm

remember that time that frocto gave up on going right and so ran through the maze without the detector

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue May 26, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm not sure 10 hours is long enough, there.
ImageImageImage

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Wed May 27, 2015 3:41 am

Knytt Stories is a bad game

that said I found some rare concept art lying around from back when I was doing stuff for EK2 I think

I think we all know what the real best item in all of Exquisite Knorpse history is though

that's right, you know which one I'm talking about~

DA NA NA NAAAAA~

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed May 27, 2015 5:14 am

I would like to add that despite what I said about High Jump previously, I prefer games that use it because double jumping feels more natural with high jump and not so split second timing as it does without.

If nifflas ever makes another editor (haha no) I'd like to see some sort of dash or short range forward teleport item with a short cooldown. And also normalize evil fire shot timing. And also make the enemies less shit.
ImageImageImage

Postby Newbie » Wed May 27, 2015 10:40 am

Your list makes a lot of sense, Friday. I like it a bunch.

LaserBeing wrote:that said I found some rare concept art lying around from back when I was doing stuff for EK2 I think

yes

I think we all know what the real best item in all of Exquisite Knorpse history is though

yes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
tiny text

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:13 pm

Newbie wrote:Funny you should mention that: two votes isn't enough for anything. I was going to wait until I got 7, buuuuuuut I could probably close the poll early if I had an odd number of responses.

So wait is this actually HL3 EK4 confirmed? Because if we need to actually play along here then

1. Umbrella: this is the Main Item in the game, as far as I'm concerned. It has the most utility and nuanced mechanics of any single upgrade.

2. Climbing: climbing is fun and makes scurrying around the terrain like a little rodent very satisfying and tactile

3. Double Jump: the interactions between double jump, climb and brolly are what makes the most interesting platforming challenges possible in this game, imo. The Triumvirate of Good Items

4. The Eye: not that interesting mechanically but it serves as an evocative way to herald the shift into the later acts of the game

5. Detector: secrets are fun and detector puzzles can be neat, but it's pretty optional. you can always brute force a detector puzzle even if you don't have the item

6. Hologram: neat utility but it breaks too much. save it for post-game faffing about if you have to include it at all

7. The keys: yyler's key maze was neat. you can use them to lock up your areas extra tight if you're worried about people sequence breaking. useful for measuring "progress" through the "story". they're keys.

8. High Jump: jumping feels much nicer with this item, but only because the base jump height is so pathetically hobbled. this is the laziest possible upgrade design.

9. Run: really ought to be starting equipment, as Friday said. The most interesting thing you can do with it is to temporarily take it away for dramatic effect

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:41 pm

So wait is this actually HL3 EK4 confirmed?

ImageImageImage

Postby Newbie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:47 pm

LaserBeing wrote:So wait is this actually HL3 EK4 confirmed? Because if we need to actually play along here then

I'm not saying anything, and you especially didn't hear it from me. Stay tuned for a new thread later tonight.
tiny text

Bongo Bill
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Bongo Bill » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:56 am

I like the red key coming immediately before the blue key, please keep it that way.
...but is it art?

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:55 pm

OK wait I'm changing mine

1. Run
2. High Jump
3. Climb
4. Double Jump
5. Detector
6. Red Key
7. Blue Key
8. Umbrella
9. Eye
10. Yellow Key
11. Purple Key
12. Hologram

Postby Newbie » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Unless somebody else wants to get in on this, it looks like our hotness ranking is as follows:

0. Running
1. High Jump
2. Climbing
3. Double Jump
4. Umbrella
5. Eye
6. Detector
7. Red Key
8. Blue Key
9. Purple Key
10. Hologram
11. Yellow Key
tiny text

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:35 pm

hmm, that seems good although it would help me out if the order of eye and detector were swapped. maybe I can just put in a suggestion/request that the detector be obtainable without the eye at least?

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:05 am

Hologram is broken. If we use it, it has to not affect future zones. What I'm saying is designing with hologram in mind is much, much different, so it's better for everyone involved if Hologram doesn't stick around beyond the section you find it in. If people want to design holo-puzzle rooms or whatever in their section, they can give and then take it. Just make sure you can't escape the area that has the Hologram without losing it.
ImageImageImage

Postby Newbie » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:38 pm

I'm fine with all of this. Also learned the hard way not to mess with BB code on my phone, so the signup board won't reflect these changes yet, but hologram is no longer an available permanent upgrade and the order of eye & detector will be flopped.
tiny text

Postby Newbie » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:42 pm

OH RIGHT, Laser picked the Hologram to deter abuse. Did you want to switch to a different item? I should mention that everyone can feel free to bestow or remove ANY item in their area, so long as the correct progression is restored before the player leaves the area.
tiny text

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:45 pm

yeah sure, gimme the yellow key then