Splatoon is a lot of god damned fun.

Bal

Re: Splatoon is a lot of god damned fun.

Postby Bal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:33 pm

I'm not so sure. Being able to blame your team is actually a very desirable feature, though most people aren't aware of it. Not to mention that good teamwork in such games pays out endorphins wholesale. I think the real key isn't winning or losing depending on your team, that's fine, it's being able to get most people to have fun either way. TF2 was very good at this unless the teams were horrifically lopsided. Take Gravel Pit, for example. A launch map, three point attack/defend with two initial points open and a final tower to conquer at the end of the map. For the defenders, an average good win would be to keep one of the first two points, usually B, for the whole round. For the attackers obviously a good win is a total win, but a fun game with a frantic struggle for C was a blast, even if you lost.

Of course some people are incapable of having fun while losing, and I was also being a bit glib there. Good single players can usually make a difference, even if very heavily teamplay focused games.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:59 pm

TF2 felt like it did allow for more individual carry, but maybe that's a testament to being better at TF2/worse at Tanks.

Being able to blame your team is a desirable feature for bad players, but for people like me it's a fucking nightmare. Not that I'm a good player (I don't think I've ever been genuinely really good at anything in my entire life); I'm in that horrible place where I can't carry solo, but can often carry with just a couple of reasonably competent helpers.

In TF2, this means I can often lead a drive or hold a choke point where I can substantially damage multiple players, but not finish them off/swat away all the pests. Having someone who's competent enough to just finish my kills, or follow the drive is often the difference between success or failure. In Tanks, I'm a masochist, so I play scout, where your game consists of playing an under-tier light tank who's main purpose is finding the enemy for your team and then desperately hoping your team actually shoots them before you get killed in one shot. It's hella fun when it works, but I've spent a lot of desperate games waiting for shots from our side that never come, while the enemy rolls in like big fat smirking targets.

I also play tanks on the Asia server, so the effect is worsened massively, since no more than 1/3rd of any given team will speak the same language at any time, which massively hinders immediate in-game coordination, as well as long-term learning.

For me, teamwork is a play driver in and of itself (as you say, it pays out endorphins wholesale). I don't care about individual strong play in multiplayer games - that just isn't very fun for me. Which is why I only tend to play multiplayer games when there are people I know playing them, because there will at least be some minimum level of coordination and mutual support, which I enjoy for it's own sake and do what I can to foster. I tend to do a lot of soft stuff that enables this, like watching the minimap or game flows or calling enemy movements/weak points.

In practice, in multiplayer games I spend a lot of time leading horses to water and praying desperately they drink. I am not a leader. I have poor leadership skills and instincts. But I recognize good leadership and know when it's absent (which is more often than not), so out of necessity I often find myself doing shit a leader is supposed to do (or trying to, anyway) simply because no one else is.

François

Postby François » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:24 pm

My Splatfest philosophy of "if you lose twice in a row, get a new team" seems to have paid off again; I found a few competent bros and maxed out my rank with only five losses total, then kept going for another hour to add to the glory of the water slide master race. It was all standard Dual Squelcher this time, which leads me to believe my ideal weapon loadout would be a Dual Squelcher with Beakon and Echolocator. Too bad that ain't happening.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:39 pm

A local store is selling Splatoon-themed ice cream cones.

malikial

Postby malikial » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Eh, Mongrel, the world of tanks comparison isn't extremely apt. You can be trying your hardest to make everything work right but if you have no idea where the shells and engine are mounted in your tank someone with actual working knowledge of your machine's innards is just going to fling a HEAT round into.your ammo rack and 1 shot you. World of Tanks is really a game where knowing what the internal diagram of all the enemy tanks is is actually extremely useful. Granted, this comes from my heavily skewed owning 9 Max tier tanks and only playing in 3 man platoons with equally experienced players.

What I meant to say and I didn't because I got side tracked and am stupid is that Tanks is one of the few online games I play that I can stop playing for a meaningful amount of time and not come back horrible. In any other online game from LoL to splatoon to CSGO if I stop for moret than a week I have to spend time getting back into it in casual matches. Tanks isn't like that. I can come back after 2 months away and just ask my friends what to look out for on the new maps and be fine. As long as I look up the weaknesses of the new tanks before I face them.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:26 pm

Oh I know where the stuff is located my MY tank. Other players tanks, my knowledge is spottier, but it's less vital to know at T5 and T6 (no HEAT), so I haven't studied as much as I might.

Plus my #1 tanks is Luchs, so that's just lock-on and autoaim (yeah, you have to meter your taps - spray-and-pray is almost never correct, unless you're at melee range - but you're certainly not aiming for modules).

I've been thinking of going to T10 to get a Leopard 1. It's a decent tank that plays to my strengths and is the end point to a line I've already technically opened up... but mainly because that's actually the tank Canada used up until the 80's (and then we got Leopard 2s :3 ).

Failures of teamwork is a much much bigger issue for me than T10 sniper shots. You have a great luxury in being able to play only in platoons. I plat when I can since the advantages are massive and obvious, but that's only maybe 40% of the time.

One thing I've noted (because I run XVM), is that when a team manages to find good teamwork, this will beat a team full of higher-ranked players almost every time. It's a massive trump. Reminds me of the times I watched SWAT guys go play paintball for "fun". They had plenty of opponents with significantly better guns, who knew the paintball field/terrain better, and who were probably in better shape, but as you might expect it wasn't even fucking close to a contest.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Things I Can't Post in Miiverse #2: "Yeah if you think the next Splatfest should be between SHUT UP and SHUT UP."

Postby Newbie » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:41 pm

tiny text

François

Postby François » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:20 pm

"About 70-80 per cent of players are using the gyro controls. That's not to say we're forcing it on to them. From our point of view, we think that the gyro controls are the best way to play Splatoon, the reason being there are two main movements you need for a shooter. One is moving the body, the other is aiming where you're shooting. In that sense, we think for Splatoon the gyro gives that subtle movement and more precise actions to be able to really experience the game in a much better way."

That's from a Eurogamer interview with Tsubasa Sakaguchi. I hear lots of people can't stand the motion controls but at this point I couldn't imagine playing the game any other way. In fact, going back to other games, using the right stick for aim or camera control feels clumsy and lame in comparison.

François

Postby François » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:56 pm

the beatles were right, happiness really is a warm gun

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:43 am

I HAVE NEW WEAPON

sei

Postby sei » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:09 pm

キタ━━━(゜∀゜)━━━!!!!!

Going to be sad when this is JP onry.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:17 pm

I don't think it's technically possible to region-lock outfits. At worst, we'll get something that looks different.

Going to be sad when this requires some limited-run amiibo.

Metal Slime

Postby Metal Slime » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:34 pm

The new update summed up.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:55 pm

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:10 am

Oh man, the victory animation with the splatling gun.

Ha cha cha cha ha cha cha cha

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:20 am

it is, in fact, super cute.

I wish I was good with it.

rainwarrior

Postby rainwarrior » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:53 pm

sei wrote:Going to be sad when this is JP onry.

It might only appear in JP shops in game, but you can get it by Spyke's ordering system. I've already acquired a full squidgirl set, myself.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:34 pm

It appears in NA shops, you just gotta believe! be patient.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:35 pm

I thought I had gotten significantly better after the update, but then I realized that they just added two new ranks so I don't have to deal with being matched against Mr. Hoppy McBlastsalot at B rank any more. I'm well on my way toward A+ now, though, so I'm sure I'll be seeing those guys again soon enough. Yay.