Sometimes Science is More Art than Science, Morty

Niku

Re: Sometimes Science is More Art than Science, Morty

Postby Niku » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:40 am

Mainlined the entire season yesterday finally. What a great goddamn show. I think it doesn't quite pull off the swerves into genuine pathos quite as well as Futurama or Community have managed, but they still stick the landing most of the time.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Niku what'd you think of Close Rick-Counters of the Rick Kind

Also:

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Probably one of the strongest episodes of the season. But there were few that I'd call outright duds (Raising Gazorpazorp was kinda weak on both plots, Rixty Minutes' television bits were kind of terrible for the most part but the B plot was great) overall.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:36 pm

I haven't watched the finale yet but I've caught the rest.

I liked the TV bits on Rixty Minutes. But then, I like stupid rambling improvisation.

I also think it was one of the few episodes where the resolution to the family drama B-story felt earned and heartfelt. Though that (partially) required digging into continuity.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:42 pm

I thought Rixty Minutes was incredible. It was perfectly clear that the tv 'narration' and the dialogue of the episode came first and all the images were filled in around it. The actualization of 'Ball Fondlers' was amazing.

My only complaint about the first season is that the actual finale is pretty weak, and could go almost anywhere in the rest of the series. Rick Potion #9 would have been the most perfect place they could have possibly ended a season. Plus they would have to cut out Morty explaining that all to Summer for one of the lamest parts of Rixty Minutes.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:19 am

So apparently there's a Rick and Morty comic on the way.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 14, 2015 2:06 pm

Picked up Rick and Morty #1. (#2 is out; I haven't gotten it yet.)

I like it! It's like Bob's Burgers in that it feels straight out of the show.

My one complaint is writer Sac Gorman's choice to write all the characters' verbal tics out in dialogue. I know Rick periodically stammers, burps, and takes a swig from his flask; my brain is perfectly capable of filling those details in as I read. You do not actually have to write them out. (It reads like a Claremont Accent -- "Ah cain't touch yuh, Remy!" A good dialogue writer doesn't need to do all that bullshit to let the readers know how the characters talk; a good dialogue writer can suggest it and let the readers fill in the blanks. And in a visual medium like comics, he can rely on the artist to convey details, too; if a panel shows Rick drinking from a flask, I do not need the dialogue to say ">DOOK DOOK!<" after the first sentence to indicate that he is pausing to drink from a flask, I can fill that in myself.)

On the plus side, that does say something about how much effort the comic's going to to duplicate the feel of the show. The characters' voices are definitely there (a little moreso than necessary). The plot feels like an episode of the show -- Jerry says something to Morty that Rick doesn't like; Rick spends the rest of the issue going to truly absurd lengths to teach Jerry a lesson, Morty temporarily gets rich and powerful and lets it go to his head, then everything goes to hell -- and I'm interested in seeing more.

There's also a backup story, which gives Summer something to do. Which is good, because she doesn't have anything to do in the main story.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu May 14, 2015 7:17 pm

I might... actually pick that up when I stop by the comic place near me for the new Rat Queens. I feel like Rick and Morty would make for a very comic-bookey comic book.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:41 pm

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:08 am

that's pretty great, too bad I can't stand mobas.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Tough. That's all you get. Mobas and survival games stomping on a human face. Forever.

Cthulhu-chan

Postby Cthulhu-chan » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:01 am

Goddamn it. This is not the cyber-future I was promised.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:19 pm

Soundcloud has the complete Goodbye, Moon Men track.

I know I'm not the only one who didn't recognize Fart's voice until he started singing.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:07 pm

I feel like the assassin was a voice I was supposed to recognize.

Also: I was pretty iffy on this ep after Fart came into play, but oh my god did I love the Jerry nursery. Just the perfect use for Jerry.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:01 pm

The Fart plot was a long walk toward a really obvious resolution, but I thought it mostly moved briskly and had some good laughs. And I will never not love Jemaine Clement's impression of David Bowie.

But yeah this was definitely one where Jerry's B-plot was the best part of the episode. Hell, it's probably the best thing the series has ever done with Jerry.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:07 pm

So what's a good place to watch this thing, preferably legally? I can see about getting access to my roommate's Netflix and/or Hulu Plus, and I've already seen that Amazon Prime doesn't have it. I haven't seen much, but what I've seen looks amusing.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:49 pm

Hulu Plus has the first season. Adult Swim shows all the episodes for free to anyone for the week after they air. So I can't find you S02E01 legally, but everything else so far and to come would be covered.

Also I really liked the A plot in this one. The destination was more obvious than a lot for the show, but it was still thematically dead-on.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:27 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:11 pm

I know it's just a show and I should really just relax, but all I could keep thinking was "If he'd written everybody's names down instead of just the number 6, this would have been a much shorter episode."

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:43 am

I liked this one quite a bit.

I want to say I'm happy they're really starting to mixing the comedy and the tragedy together, rather than just occasionally switching between the two, but it tends to dull the comedy when we're constantly unsure what to feel. That's cool and subversive and all, just more... interesting than funny.