Edjumacation

pacobird

Re: Edjumacation

Postby pacobird » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:13 pm

Sesame Workshop is going to have to retool the show to appeal to thirtysomething hipsters who watch the show ironically? Jesus Christ, give them a little more credit than that.

Sesame Street has been winking at mom and dad for decades. Considering thirtysomething hipsters are having kids now, this was probably going to happen one way or another.

Classic

Postby Classic » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:18 pm

What was the tagline? "The symbolism is deafening?"
I don't know that it's any worse than any of the other compromises that Sesame Workshop and PBS have made to keep going, but it's very easy to point to it as a barometer for how services are being drained from the most vulnerable that your 20-30-something will care about.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:03 pm

Yeah, it's more just the sad irony that something that was very purposefully created for the benefit of underprivileged children is now provided to the privileged first. Something something, trickle down, etc.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:23 pm

black americans had "over three centuries of a strong work ethic"

I, uh...

More "gems" in the thread.

EDIT: And before you say something like "oh Texas!", this teacher's in WA.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Washington is really not much less racist than the better parts of the south, which does include Texas. Yes,Seattle is included in that.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:52 pm

They only appear to be less racist on the surface because so much of their racism is directed at Californians.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:21 pm

So the Oklahoma Teachers' Union has just voted for a statewide strike as well now.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:59 pm

The biggest cost to universities is probably labour (specifically, professor salaries) though. So maybe it's not quite as dumb as it seems on the surface.

(high tuition costs are dumb for lots of reasons of course, just saying that taking everything online doesn't necessarily make things massively cheaper, at least in the short term).

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 03, 2021 8:21 pm

York University once again demonstrating that it's the worst possible place in Ontario to get a degree in anything.

(Those who work there surely love the place just as much as the students do. You can tell this because it's impossible to complete a 4-year degree at York without your time there being interrupted by a staff strike of some kind).

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu May 13, 2021 12:25 pm

The Root: We Found the Textbooks of Senators Who Oppose The 1619 Project and Suddenly Everything Makes Sense

In case you haven't heard of it, here's a description of the 1619 Project:

The 1619 Project is an ongoing initiative from The New York Times Magazine that began in August 2019, the 400th anniversary of the beginning of American slavery. It aims to reframe the country’s history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of black Americans at the very center of our national narrative.

Republicans hate it, of course.

The piece at the Root highlights a number of prominent Republicans who have criticized the 1619 Project, and digs up the history books they studied in grade school and high school.

It's an edifying conceit. Obviously shitty high school textbooks aren't the reason Mitch McConnell and John Kennedy are ignorant racists, but it's worth remembering how white supremacists have sustained their narrative through the generations by teaching it in school.

I was just talking the other day about my not-very-good American History teacher.

I had a friend in that class who hated him -- hated him. She went on to get a history degree. She mentioned to me once that part of her decision in choosing her major was thinking about guys like him and how bad our education in history is in this country. I told her "You should get ahold of him and tell him that he's the reason you got a history degree. He'll think it's a compliment."

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:22 pm

mharr

Postby mharr » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:28 pm

Every tiny detail of that face and expression screams Republican Plant.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:25 pm

"I am not a plant" sure, sounds like something an obvious plant would s-- of course. Of course.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 pm

If by plant, you mean vegetable...

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:30 am

Thad wrote:The Root: We Found the Textbooks of Senators Who Oppose The 1619 Project and Suddenly Everything Makes Sense

In case you haven't heard of it, here's a description of the 1619 Project:

The 1619 Project is an ongoing initiative from The New York Times Magazine that began in August 2019, the 400th anniversary of the beginning of American slavery. It aims to reframe the country’s history by placing the consequences of slavery and the contributions of black Americans at the very center of our national narrative.

Republicans hate it, of course.

The piece at the Root highlights a number of prominent Republicans who have criticized the 1619 Project, and digs up the history books they studied in grade school and high school.

It's an edifying conceit. Obviously shitty high school textbooks aren't the reason Mitch McConnell and John Kennedy are ignorant racists, but it's worth remembering how white supremacists have sustained their narrative through the generations by teaching it in school.

I wanted to reply to this yesterday but was too angry about it to do so coherently; I wrote out a long angry rant but then deleted it as it wouldn't be constructive.

So something has been going on recently with me. I joked a few weeks ago in #finalfight that I should change my nick to Cassandra, because all my truths I uttered in the mid 2000s and 2010s have now been coming true but nobody believed me at the time and even ridiculed me for being a doomer edgelord. I don't mean here, so much as real life friends and family. I did get a little bit of that here though:

Again, I'll bring up the conversation Arc and I had waaaaay back on fucking pyoko (two board iterations ago) where I basically said "the cops are worthless fascist murder bullies" and Arc said "lol no my cousin is a cop" or when I said "the world is getting worse as time goes on" and Arc said "no it's just Bush also divorce rates are down."

Trump and Covid have accelerated a lot of shit that was always going on behind the scenes and brought it to the forefront. I said in 2015 that Facebook was a misinformation murder cancer that was killing people and my irl friends and family thought I was being silly. Here, I remember a thread where it was discussed and yyler said that it's "just a tool I use it to keep in touch with my friends stop flipping out."

Now, I don't mean to slight Arc or yyler. I love those two guys to death, and god fucking knows I'm wrong about shit all the fucking time. But now we've got a literal fucking whistleblower who worked for Facebook saying in front of Congress "Facebook kills people, on purpose, to make money" and I'm just sitting here, like.

So I bring all this up because textbooks are another one of my Cassandra Truths. I've been on them for longer than cops, even. Since about 1997. In high school. Because I read insane shit in my history textbook about slavery and thought "holy fuck, if California textbooks are this bad, imagine how bad southern textbooks must be."

I also have been on and on about nature vs nurture, or how impactful the formative years are on people, for forever. I tend to extend the definition beyond the consensus to about 14 or 15 years old. What you learn during this time defines you. It informs who you become. Yes, people can change. But it's hard and rare. Usually instead of changing they "put on more coats" so to speak. Your core remains more or less the same as you age.

Obviously shitty high school textbooks aren't the reason Mitch McConnell and John Kennedy are ignorant racists

See, here's the thing. In my view, this is both true... and not true. You are who you are taught to be. Yes, some people break out of religious cults they were raised in. But those are generally... small. You can look out the farm window of your "southern baptist gays are going to hell and women are inferior" cult and see the rest of the world, even if your father tries his best to stop you. But when the "cult" is the entire society around you, like it is in the South in regards to racism and slavery, well. It's a lot harder to see all the way to New York or the west coast. Not that they don't have more than their fair share of racists anyway. I don't want to overly pick on the South here, but on the flipside, I think pretending the South isn't measurably worse when it comes to racism is naive.

I digress. What I want to impress upon you and the point of this post is this: When you see misinformation on a platform that reaches millions of people (school textbooks, facebook, fox news, whatever) do not dismiss it as "crackpot bullshit that nobody will listen to."

I mean, I know you guys won't. Not anymore. I think most people have learned that now. But that type of thinking WAS rampant even 10 years ago. It was stupid to think that then and it's REALLY FUCKING STUPID to think it now. Misinformation kills. Period. Misinformation creates and contributes to systemic racism. Period. Lies and whitewashing are not "crackpot funny nonsense." They are an integral part of how our society continues to be shit, as Thad goes on to point out here:

it's worth remembering how white supremacists have sustained their narrative through the generations by teaching it in school.

I am often wrong. I am often overly cynical. It's important to challenge me as it is important to challenge everyone. It's how we all learn and grow. But I'm not wrong about this. I wasn't wrong about cops, and jesus christ I wasn't wrong about fucking Facebook.

I was wrong about Trump though. I mean in that I thought he couldn't win a general. Sigh. Why can't I be wrong about my pessimistic shit? I try one little optimistic "no way people are stupid enough to elect this incredibly obvious tyrant conman fuck" and it blows up in my face.
ImageImageImage

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:40 am

Friday wrote:
Obviously shitty high school textbooks aren't the reason Mitch McConnell and John Kennedy are ignorant racists

You can look out the farm window of your "southern baptist gays are going to hell and women are inferior" cult and see the rest of the world, even if your father tries his best to stop you. But when the "cult" is the entire society around you, like it is in the South in regards to racism and slavery, well. It's a lot harder to see all the way to New York or the west coast.

There was a while where TV and movies worked for this somewhat. They weren't always that much better, but by the time we were born, TV and movie writers generally all at least pretended to share the opinion that treating black people differently just cause they're black is bad. And I think this had an impact on our generation. I think a lot more people in our generation broke from their parents active racism than you would typically expect.

The advent of 24 hour news, and the hypersegmentation of media such that people now have the option to only watch news and shows that already agree with them has completely destroyed this effect, though.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

hngkong

Postby hngkong » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:42 am

Friday wrote:So something has been going on recently with me. I joked a few weeks ago in #finalfight that I should change my nick to Cassandra, because all my truths I uttered in the mid 2000s and 2010s have now been coming true but nobody believed me at the time and even ridiculed me for being a doomer edgelord. I don't mean here, so much as real life friends and family. I did get a little bit of that here though:

I've been joking that I suffer from "Cassandra's Tears" (stolen from Dresden Files) because I've been saying the same things to everyone, and it wasn't until recently that people have started to say, "Hey, hng, didn't you say xxx?" I mean, I remember saying that companies were going to try to bring back company towns back in 2008 when I had a discussion with a guy who claimed that unions were unnecessary. He felt that company towns were fine, because it wasn't like a prison, you could just quit if you wanted to leave. So I feel you Friday, it's like the world is intentionally fucking with you, and even when you can point to you specifically predicting something, people still won't listen. I also constantly feel like people don't actually listen to me, but instead hear some variation of the Charlie Brown teacher-speak, so who knows.

Friday

Postby Friday » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:56 am

oh yeah I 100% didn't mean to imply I'm the only Cassandra in the world. I'm sure y'all have your own (or the same) truths and can relate. Apart from a few examples, most of y'all were on the same page with me all along anyway. But I know a lot of people irl who defended cops or facebook and now they're all acting like they've always been anti-cop and and anti-facebook, it drives me crazy. I'm actually for real angry about it, which is my first post was originally just me ranting and yelling and cursing.

I guess I should just be grateful they're not still pro-cop.
ImageImageImage