Mongrel in miniature land

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Mongrel in miniature land

Postby Mongrel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Been weathering and detailing cars and trucks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:41 am

I am working on some classic pulp cultists. Mostly they are generic Hooded Dudes, but I had fun making their leader.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:23 am

It is seriously awesome and I can't wait to see it painted.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:11 am

Oooh, I like that guy.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:27 pm

Finally got around to doing up the cultists

Random hooded dudes

Leaders

The first guy is just the "regular" leader. The tentacle fellas is two versions of the same "secret boss", one cloaked and one in GIBBER JABBER attack mode.

Büge

Postby Büge » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:40 pm

They look amazing up close, too.

Also, I love that there's one short cultist. I like to think it's Odin Quincannon from Preacher.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:53 pm

A sorta mystic/Lovecraft type of team. DO NOT CALL UP THAT WHICH YOU CANNOT PUT DOWN.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Stuff.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:16 am

A while ago, on the minis boards, I was asking around if anyone made a Haile Selassie in miniature. No one made one, but one of our forum members actually volunteered to sculpt one and to send me a free copy (this is something that costs minimum $100~, and often much more, depending on the sculptor's skill). To be fair, he also sold the mini to a retailer, so he did profit by it, but still that was some serious generosity.

Anyway, ever since I got my diminutive emperor, I wanted him to have some companions. You can get soldiers for the Second Abyssinian War from one or two places, but no other senior nobility, councillors, wives, etc. So I sculpted my own Ras Kassa Haile Darge. Well, not really sculpted: I did the cloak, but the legs were from an existing figure, as was the hand. And the head is a repurposed Space Wolf head.

Pretty crude, but he'll do. The head and painting will sell it well enough. He, Selassie, and a bodyguard are the next in line to be painted.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:27 am

Please stand for His Imperial Majesty and all-around classy fellow, Haile Selassie I, Emperor of Ethiopia, along with loyal councillor Ras Kassa Haile Darge, and an unnamed bodyguard, circa 1935.

EDIT: Image quality, whoops.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:29 am

Nothing really to say from my end but that these look really good. Particularly the Doctor guy and the gal with the sword three posts back.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:16 pm

Yeah, those two are good enough for shop images, I think. I was pretty happy with how they turned out.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:02 am

Back to fantasy land for a bit. Geez, this guy took forever!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:46 pm

Have been working away off-and-on on some more pulp stuff.

The Lovecraft figure had a great story. So I ordered some figures from a German retailer, back in... May/April, IIRC and he was one of the figures I'd ordered. He was missing from the order (I got something else that had almost the same product code, so it was just a simple mistake) so I ask the guy to send me a replacement, he says sure, sorry about that, no problem.

Time goes by, I don't get the replacement. I bug him again, he says sorry, and he'll send another. Still nothing and now it's September, come on! Right before I'm about to message him again, he contacts me to tell he knows why I haven't been getting my replacement figure. Somehow the address got mixed up with another thing he sent out at the same time as my original order, so he was sending these little Lovecrafts elsewhere.

He found out, because his sister called him to ask "Why do you keep sending me this creepy little guy over and over again?"

XD

Also, some more toy cars. The middle one was repainted and weathered, the others were just weathered.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:33 pm

Previews of coming attractions.

Some of you may have noted the conspicuous absence of Nazis from an otherwise substantial collection of 30's pulp stuff. Partly this is because all the best Wehrmacht figures are in smaller scales, like 25mm or really runty 28mm, so it's very tough to find Germans who fit with my bigger stuff. There are some larger ones, but are mostly crap quality and have issues (like only having late-war uniforms which are all wrong and need heavy conversion).

I use a pretty wide variety of figures, with varying sizes, so in some cases I can use a small figure anyway and say it's just a little dude (for instance my Nazi leader is a shortarse), but having a Nazi battalion of nothing but five-foot tall guys is just not on, so the Nazis went on the back burner. Over a longer period I've collected a variety fo figures from different sources, a couple of nice bigger figures which were one-offs here and there, along with some of the crap-quality bigger figures which I am probably going to do surgery on to fix up (headswaps for some nice GW heads, better legs, etc.). I've finally reached the point where I'm close to having enough figures, so I've started actually doing the work.

This is a relatively small figure who will function as the Nazi's go-fer (secretary, clerk, photographer, living languages translator, etc.). She was originally from some she-wolf pack and had an undersized MP40, which I cut away and replaced with a Luger and a variety of gear. The old stock of the MP40 will now stand in as a camera flash.

François

Postby François » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 pm

Huh, considering how popular Nazis still are in certain circles, I would have expected Nazi minis to be available in more variety and quantity than your average person would guess.

In other news, your work continues to make me realize how my vocabulary doesn't contains nearly enough synonyms for "rad".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:40 pm

The thing is, WWII in 28/32mm is actually pretty recent. For many many years the preferred scale for wargaming WWII using individual figures was 20mm. But since so many fantasy/sci-fi minis games are in 28/32mm scale, WWII eventually caught up. Even then, most of the older (and nicer) 28mm Wehrmacht figures are on the smaller, pre-90's-scale-creep side.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:54 pm

I just resculpted the face of my Nazi Feldwebel into a likeness of Kenneth Mars.

I should prrrrrobably be committed to an institution.

François

Postby François » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:29 pm

Yes, but only if they provide you with minis and tools and other associated materials so that you may pursue your obsessions in peace and safety.

Because daaaaaaaamn.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:20 pm

I was originally going to wait until I painted him, because paint will be a big part of making sure I get a good likeness, but that's a big claim I'm making with no backup so here: