Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

Re: Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

Postby Newbie » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:39 am

nosimpleway wrote:It was my second playthrough before I realized these were hints, and not just Mettaton weirdness. Posing is the most dramatic when things are looking the worst, says this guy, and the other really enjoys it when Mettaton beats up heel-turning villains.

nosimpleway wrote:Screenshots do not do this next part justice. I didn't think to video-record it -- blind LP, remember -- but someone on YouTube's gotta have it.

tiny text

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:55 am

Meanwhile, in an alternate dimension...

Image: I WANT THIS TO BE A STELLAR PERFORMANCE, BUT IF YOU WON'T GIVE IT YOUR ALL... THEN I'LL SKIP AHEAD FOR THE AUDIENCE'S SAKE.

Image: THE KING HAS ORDERED YOU TO WASTE AWAY IN THE CASTLE BASEMENT. AND BEFORE WE EVEN HAD TIME TO SING A SWEET SONG ABOUT IT. MY DEAR HEART! I CAN BARELY LOOK UPON YOU, KNOWING WHAT COMES NEXT!

Image: WELL, TOODLES!

So that's why I still don't have my own video of Mettaton's song.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:39 pm

Aw, that's nice of you. Royal Guards 01 and 02 have bought all of the Nice Cream out of the cart, so there's none left for me.

Oh, yeah, of course. It was... Fire Burnerman? No... Turbo Magmaman? Pharaoh-- no no, I'm thinking of the wrong Mega Man bosses. Heats Flamesman!

Ol' Heatsy is aghast that he was so easily defeated. I didn't even need the Bubble Lead.

Sans is waiting outside the MTT resort. He invites me to dinner, then... thanks me for treating him. And he knows a good "shortcut", rather than walking through the lobby and into the restaurant, he goes up the ally alongside the resort and, as far as I can tell from coming back out and investigating later, phases through the wall straight into the dining room.

Music: It's Raining Somewhere Else. Far and away my favorite piece of music in the game.

Image: so. your journey's almost over, huh? you must really wanna go home. hey. I know the feeling, buddo. though... maybe sometimes it's better to take what's given to you. down here you've already got food, drink, friends... is what you have to do... really worth it?

Image: ...

Image: ah, forget it. i'm rootin' for ya, kid.

Image: hey. let me tell you a story. so i'm a sentry in snowdin forest, right? i sit out there and watch for humans. it's kind of boring. fortunately, deep in the forest... there's this HUGE locked door. and it's perfect for practicing knock knock jokes. so one day, i'm knocking 'em out, like usual. i knock on the door, and say "knock knock". and suddenly, from the other side... i hear a woman's voice. "who is there?" so, naturally, I respond: "dishes." "dishes who?" "dishes a very bad joke."

:(

Image: then she just howls with laughter. like it's the best joke she's heard in a hundred years. so I keep 'em coming, and she keeps laughing. she's the best audience i've ever had. then, after a dozen of 'em, SHE knocks and says... "Knock knock!" i say "whos there?" "old lady!" "old lady who?" "oh! I did not know you could yodel!"

:(

Image: wow. needless to say, this woman was extremely good. we kept telling each other jokes for hours. eventually, i had to leave. papyrus gets kind of cranky without his bedtime story. but she told me to come by again, and so i did. then i did again. and again. it's a thing now. telling bad jokes through the door. it rules.

Image: one day, though, i noticed she wasn't laughing very much. i asked her what was up. then she told me something strange. "if a human ever comes through this door... ...could you please, please promise me something? watch over them, and protect them, will you not?" now, i hate making promises. and this woman, i don't even know her name. but... someone who sincerely likes bad jokes... has an integrity you can't say "no" to. do you get what i'm saying? that promise i made to her... you know what would have happened if she hadn't said anything?

Image: ...buddy.

Image: hey, lighten up, bucko! i'm just joking with you. besides... haven't i done a great job protecting you?

Well... the only time you've actually intervened, you did it in your sleep. So either you're ridiculously good at it or ridiculously awful at it.

Image: i mean, look at yourself. you haven't died a single time. hey, what's that look supposed to mean? am i wrong...?

Image: heh. well, that's all. take care of yourself, kid. 'cause someone really cares about you.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:47 pm

The MTT Resort restaurant dining room is filled with monitors showing Mettaton television shows, praise for how great Mettaton is, and reviews written by celebrities (by which I mean Mettaton himself). It's so posh the maitre d' at the entrance says you need a reservation for the seat, a separate reservation for the food, another still for the silverware...

Guess that explains why Sans took his "shortcut" out of the alley.

There's a guy who forgot to make any reservations, so he's in the corner pretending he belongs, licking the dew off of a potted ficus to sate his hunger.

The red guy on the left is sick and tired of all the mazes and puzzles. The guy in the metall hat on the right is still psyched about them, though. Did you know the CORE has moveable, interchangeable rooms? You can change the layout with the flip of a switch!

Snowdrake: I'm the resort comedian. I'm very funny. People laugh at my jokes. Now, my son. He wants to be a comedian like his fathah.

Oh yeah, I met him. His jokes aren't funny.

Snowdrake: But his jokes. Aren't funny. He tells this awful puns. He's an embarrassment to our family. Ha ha ha ha...

That's not funny either.

Snowdrake: That's not funny. Since his mothah passed on, he couldn't stand. Living at home anymore. So he ran away. I haven't seen him since. I'm a terrible fathah. Ha ha ha ha...

Dude.

Snowdrake: That's not funny.

Talking to Sans first is a little disorienting, since you start in one of the inner rooms of the resort, instead of having a look around the lobby and getting a feel for the place first. In fact, on my first playthrough I completely missed that there's a burger joint off to one side, in addition to the fancy restaurant off to the left. Which is a shame, but I'll get into all of that stuff once I get to the next playthrough.

Of course it has.

The doors down the hallway ask for items. A Sea Tea or a Cinnamon Bun (sold by Gerson the elderly turtle and the lagomorph shop owner in Snowdin) net you 99 gold apiece. Shoving a Hot Dog...? under the last door rewards you with a "Hush Puppy", described as capable of nullifying all sorts of dog magic.

The slimy janitor is constantly spinning in place, trying to mop his own mess off the floor.

Outside, a sign on the ground points you into the alley way, where...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:45 pm

Music: CORE

As I leave the resort and enter the CORE, two shadowy figures loom ahead briefly, before retreating into the complex. Alphys, not surprisingly, phones in...

Image: Huh? Who are they? N-nobody else is s-supposed to be here... Oh well! We can't worry about that now!

Of course it isn't. Again.

Alphys calls and tells me to go to the right, so...

Off we go to the left.

whoops

Magic words like "Abracadabra" or "Hocus Pocus" or "Please and thank you". I... honestly don't remember how you pacify this one. I think you stare the two magic orbs he uses into submission, rendering him powerless.

Alphys calls to wonder aloud why there are so many monsters here, and she's not wrong. Greater Froggits, Whimsalots, and Astigmatisms drive the encounter rate about as high as it was back in the ruins. With... similar monsters. Huh.

But the switch activates a laser barrage, so I have to carefully either move to avoid the orange ones or stand still to avoid the blue ones. Alphys knows the code: it's orange, orange, blue. So take a few steps, then stop.

Alphys is wrong again. The lasers were blue, blue, orange.

I'm gonna go with her first hunch. (Turns out going up is another ambush, and having ignored her here I missed an enemy.)

Yeah, the little trust I had in you is rapidly dwindling.

What follows is a red-light green-light game through a laser array. Alphys will hack the power off so you can proceed, but only for a few steps before it comes back on. And since they're blue lasers, trying to move through them stings.

Alphys throws up her hands and admits she doesn't know.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:09 pm

Eventually I make it to the end, no thanks to Alphys.

Image: IT'S TIME TO HAVE OUR LITTLE SHOWDOWN. IT'S TIME TO FINALLY STOP THE "MALFUNCTIONING" ROBOT. ... NOT!!! MALFUNCTION? REPROGRAMMING? GET REAL. THIS WAS ALL JUST A BIG SHOW. AN ACT. ALPHYS HAS BEEN PLAYING YOU FOR A FOOL THE WHOLE TIME. AS SHE WATCHED YOU ON THE SCREEN, SHE GREW ATTACHED TO YOUR ADVENTURE. SO SHE DECIDED TO INSERT HERSELF INTO YOUR STORY. SHE REACTIVATED PUZZLES. SHE DISABLED ELEVATORS. SHE ENLISTED ME TO TORMENT YOU. ALL SO SHE COULD SAVE YOU FROM DANGERS THAT DIDN'T EXIST. ALL SO YOU WOULD THINK SHE'S THE GREAT PERSON... THAT SHE'S NOT.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Wanna go get a Nice Cream or something?

Image: AND NOW, IT'S TIME FOR HER FINEST HOUR. AT THIS VERY MOMENT, ALPHYS IS WAITING OUTSIDE THE ROOM. DURING OUR "BATTLE", SHE WILL INTERRUPT. SHE WILL PRETEND TO "DEACTIVATE" ME, "SAVING" YOU ONE FINAL TIME. FINALLY. SHE'LL BE THE HEROINE OF YOUR ADVENTURE.

And yet I still wouldn't like her much. So, about that Nice Cream...

Image: YOU'LL REGARD HER SO HIGHLY SHE'LL EVEN BE ABLE TO CONVINCE YOU NOT TO LEAVE.

Snnnrrrrrk! Yeah, that's not happening.

Image: ... OR NOT. YOU SEE, I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS PREDICTABLE CHARADE. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO HARM HUMANS. FAR FROM IT, ACTUALLY. MY ONLY DESIRE IS TO ENTERTAIN. AFTER ALL, THE AUDIENCE DESERVES A GOOD SHOW, DON'T THEY? AND WHAT'S A GOOD SHOW... WITHOUT A PLOT TWIST?

The door I came in locks, and the stage lights come on.

Music: Last Episode

Image: BUT WE'VE GOT A FINALE THAT WILL DRIVE YOU WILD!!

The stage rockets upward, and we're thrown into one last Mettaton battle.

Music: Metal Crusher

Rearranged the CORE, hired the mercenaries, brought in the lesser monsters, reprogrammed the laser arrays... Mettaton is why Alphys went from annoyingly chatty to annoyingly chatty and completely useless lately.

Mettaton explains his new plan, rather than Alphys's ego-building exercise, is to take the human's soul for himself and head up to the surface to attain stardom there. He goes on to say that it's really doing us a favor, since we're far too weak to ever face down Asgore and survive.

Alphys phones in, giving us one more "hint". One that might actually help! She's not 100% sure, though, so this is likely to end in disaster, because it's Alphys. There's a switch on Mettaton's back that will make him... "vulnerable". That's why he always faces toward the screen!

So hey! Mettaton! Look behind you! A mirror!

Image: JUST FLIP.

Image: MY SWITCH?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:26 pm

Music: Oh My...

Mettaton: Ohhhh my. If you flipped my switch, that can only mean one thing. You're desperate for the premiere of my new body. How rude... Lucky for you, I've been aching to show this off for a long time. So... as thanks, I'll give you a handsome reward.

You'll stop talking in all caps? 'Cause I was already tired of that back in Snowdin.

Mettaton: I'll make your last living moments...

Music: Death By Glamour

Mettaton crosses the Bishounen Line as he adopts his true form: Mettaton EX! He's... basically robot David Bowie.

You may have surmised instantly that the "Ratings" meter on the top-left is the key to winning. And you'd be right! Lots of things make it go up or down. If Mettaton hits you in battle, you get a small "Violence" bonus. If you bothered to Heel Turn first, it becomes a much bigger "Justice" bonus. You can Pose, giving you a flat bonus depending on how many HP you have left. Remember, posing is most dramatic when things are at their worst! If you Boast about how great you are, then ratings steadily increase during Mettaton's turn -- unless you get hit, which gives a big penalty.

A lot of items are also usable for various point bonuses, including eating any of the food available for sale at the MTT Resort Burger Joint that I completely missed.

At one point Mettaton asks for an essay on his greatest feature. I was at a loss but tried to play to his ego...

...and got the generic "good for you! Gold star! response. Mentioning a "Toby" confuses Mettaton for a second before he declares that it "sounds sexy...". Swearing is frowned upon and gets you a ratings hit. This is a family-friendly program!

That essay really showed your heart... so Mettaton shows you his! The heart-shaped core floats around, and that's the vulnerable spot. Shoot that with your upgraded cellphone/SOUL to do some damage!

Eventually you blow off his arms. He shrugs it off with his still extant-shoulders, because...

...representation in media is important for people of all body types.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:39 pm

Oh yes, posing at its most dramatic is how I finished the battle.

But really, Mettaton is another battle that's best recorded. Enjoy this one, from an alternate dimension...

Including what happens after you peacefully win. Watch as I Boast and get hit! Marvel as I Heel Turn and successfully dodge! Enjoy the targeted marketing as I eat my weight in hamburgers made of glitter and glue!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:47 pm

Bonus detail from the fight:

Okay, I missed screenshotting the part where you add the flavor packet.

I love that I interrupted Mettaton's final performance to prepare and consume a pack of instant noodles, very nearly in real-time. Exciting television at its finest, folks!

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:22 pm

You can also leave the essay blank and Mettaton will understand that it's hard to capture such beauty with words.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:42 am

Undertale: (It's a contrived problem.)

Image: Image

Healy

Postby Healy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Oh man, I can hardly wait.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Every time I come to update, the server's being particularly sluggish. I'm waiting for a bit of my own downtime to match our host's.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:44 pm

Image: Oh my god.

Image: Mettaton, are you...

Image: ... thank GOD, it's just the batteries. Mettaton, if you were gone, I would have... I would have... ...

Image: I m-mean, h-hey, it's n-no problem, you know? He's just a robot, if you messed it up, I c-could always... J-just build another.

Now now, I already heard from Bratty and Catty. You built Mettaton with a SOUL, somehow, and he's the credit that landed you this cushy Royal Scientist position in the first place. I know he's important to you.

Image: Why don't you go on ahead? I... I just need a moment.

The next hallway is the last corridor in the CORE before Asgore's castle. Alphys catches up before too long, presumably after putting Mettaton on whatever qualifies for a docking station down here.

Alphys is, as expected, extremely chatty all the way down the hallway. What could possibly be bothering her?

Image: S-so you're about to meet ASGORE, huh? You must be... Y-you must be... Pr... pretty excited about all that, huh?

Image: You'll f-f-finally... You'll finally get to go home!

Image: W... Wait!

Image: I mean, um... I... I was just going to... ...um...

Image: Say goodbye, and...

Image: I can't take this anymore.

About a great many things, as I understand it.

Image: A human SOUL isn't strong enough to cross the barrier alone. It takes at least a human soul... And a monster soul. ...If you want to go home... You'll have to take his soul. You'll have to kill ASGORE. I'm sorry.

Now... that... doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Humans can't absorb monster souls, according to the lore written on the cavern walls back in Waterfall. If it takes one of each, then I can't go home at all.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:49 pm

don't know if it's been revealed yet but the soul of a BOSS MONSTER can exist for a moment outside of the monster's body, and can presumably be absorbed
pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:56 pm

There is an extremely long elevator ride, and once I take it...

I'm in ASGORE's castle complex. A few long corridors and balconies overlooking the grayscale vista, and... I reach...

...a carbon-copy of Toriel's house.

Music: Undertale

The note on the locks says to go find the keys and come meet the writer in the garden.

Inside what was, at Toriel's home, my bedroom are two single beds instead of just one. There are also the final equipment upgrades in the game, the Worn Dagger and the Heart Locket.

What was Toriel's room is now the room that's under renovations.

There's a trophy in what is clearly Asgore's bedroom, calling back to...

...a setup from way before.

ASGORE's journal has today's entry read "Nice day today!", with an observation that the ink is almost still wet. His wardrobe has a Santa Claus outfit inside, which explains a couple of things back in Snowdin. His dresser includes a pink hand-knit sweater that has "Mr. Dad Guy" printed on the front. He has macaroni art hanging on his wall, for god's sake.

Over in the kitchen there are snails in the fridge, and countless discarded recipes for pie in the wastepaper basket. The stove is as spotless as Toriel's was, so someone also cooks with fire magic.

Somehow, this is really uplifting.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:23 pm

Throughout the house, and more so after the locks are opened and you explore the long corridors and vistas behind New Home, there are random encounters... sort of.

The monsters don't attack, only narrate.

Image: ASRIEL, the king's son, heard the human's call.

Image: He brought the human back to the castle.

Image: Over time, ASRIEL and the human became like siblings.

Image: The King and Queen treated the human child as their own.

Image: The underground was full of hope.

Image: Then... One day...

Image: The human became very ill.

Image: The sick human had only one request.

Image: To see the flowers from their village.

Image: But there was nothing we could do.

Image: The next day.

Image: The next day.

Image: The human died.

Image: ASRIEL, wracked with grief, absorbed the human's SOUL.

Image: He transformed into a being with incredible power.

Image: With the human SOUL, ASRIEL crossed through the barrier.

Image: He carried the human's body into the sunset.

Image: Back to the village of the humans.

Image: ASRIEL reached the center of the village.

Image: There, he found a bed of golden flowers.

Image: He carried the human onto it.

Image: Suddenly, screams rang out.

Image: The villagers saw ASRIEL holding the human's body.

Image: They thought that he had killed the child.

Image: The humans attacked him with everything they had.

Image: He was struck with blow after blow.

Image: ASRIEL had the power to destroy them all.

Image: But...

Image: ASRIEL did not fight back.

Image: Clutching the human...

Image: ASRIEL smiled, and walked away.

Image: Wounded, ASRIEL stumbled home.

Image: He entered the castle and collapsed.

Image: His dust spread across the garden.

Image: The kingdom fell into despair.

Image: The king and queen had lost two children in one night.

Image: The humans had once again taken everything from us.

Image: The king decided it was time to end our suffering.

Image: Every human who falls down here must die.

Image: With enough souls, we can shatter the barrier forever.

Image: It's not long now.

Image: King ASGORE will let us go.

Image: King ASGORE will give us hope.

Image: King ASGORE will save us all.

Image: You should be smiling, too.

Image: Aren't you excited?

Image: Aren't you happy?

Image: You're going to be free.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:38 pm

The save point at the start of this area -- the first with any actual color in a while -- calls it the "Last Corridor".

That silhouette is familiar, but... well, Sans is using his serious voice. You can tell because the font is a plain sans-serif instead of his usual Comic tone.

Music: The Choice

Sans: The end of your journey is at hand. In a few moments, you will meet the king. Together... You will determine the future of this world. That's then. Now. You will be judged. You will be judged for your every action. You will be judged for every EXP you've earned.

Sans: It's an acronym. It stands for "execution points". A way of quantifying the pain you have inflicted on others. When you kill someone, your EXP increases. When you have enough EXP, your LOVE increases. LOVE, too, is an acronym. It stands for "Level of Violence". A way of measuring someone's capacity to hurt.

Oh, so Flowey was actually being honest, way back when. Monsters really do use bullets to spread the LOVE around.

Sans: The more you kill, the easier it becomes to distance yourself. The more you distance yourself, the less you will hurt. The more easily you can bring yourself to hurt others. Now, you understand. It's time to begin your judgement.

Sans: Look inside yourself. Have you really done the right thing? And, considering what you've done... What will you do now? Take a moment to think about this.

A moment goes by. Three Migosps, and Toriel. Those are the only ones I've killed, and only because I didn't know how not to. That's... not much of an excuse, though. I'm LOVE 5.

Image: all that's important is that you were honest with yourself. what happens now... we leave up to you.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:49 pm

There's not much further to go, and I find a room with a long series of coffins, each with the mark of a differently-colored SOUL on top.

So... a child fell down, and was adopted by King Asgore and (let's face it the implications are pretty obvious here) Queen Toriel. That child died, prince Asriel took its SOUL and returned to the world above. Then Asriel died, and Asgore swore that all humans henceforth must do the same.

Apparently six other children have fallen down between then and now, because Asgore didn't absorb the soul of his adopted son, Asriel did. Was the first child the one who fell in 201X? Is that why both Toriel's house and Asgore's house have a calendar from that year?

Sure enough, the first coffin in the row is marked for "Rtwo", and has a red soul just like the one I use in regular fights (until a boss monster makes it change color).

Music: A Small Shock

Asgore: Dum dee dum... Oh? Is someone there? Just a moment! I have almost finished watering these flowers. ...Here we are!

Agore is visibly taken aback when he sees me.

Image: I so badly want to say, "would you like a cup of tea?" But... You know how it is.

Image: Nice day today, huh? Birds are singing, flowers are blooming... Perfect weather for a game of catch.

Image: You know what we must do. When you are ready, come to the next room.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:54 pm

At the back of Asgore's throne room/flower garden is a second throne, covered by a white sheet. The queen hasn't been around in a while.

And in the next room:

Image: How tense... Just think of it like... A visit to the dentist.

Sure, it's just like a trip to the dentist when the dentist is a giant murderous goat-monster who quite literally wants to take my soul.

Image: Are you ready? If you are not, I understand. I am not ready either.

Asgore: This is what keeps us all trapped underground. ... If... If by chance you have any unfinished business... Please do what you must.

The game is nice enough to say "Hey, final boss here, go wrap up anything else you were wanting to do" but I figure what the hell.

Asgore brings up the vessels for the other six souls, with one empty. That's... a little heartening, I guess? A monster with one human soul is supposed to be an unstoppable monster, one with six would be devastating. Asgore hasn't absorbed any of the souls himself.