Game musings and news

Lyrai

Re: Game musings and news

Postby Lyrai » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Smiler wrote:Image

Microsoft is really getting their $600k aren't they.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Büge wrote:I don't get it.

The CSS code didn't load or something. It's still funny because that's what the article was going to be about anyways.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 pm

I hadn't done any research on the 40k MMO because it is an MMO in alpha and this is not my first rodeo, but I dug up an interview from last summer and apparently they're going to make the Orks the F2P faction, which is the best MMO-related idea I've heard in years

sei

Postby sei » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Angryoptimist wrote:
sei wrote:He wanted a game, not a spreadsheet simulator. Probably just a joke in reference to how Phil Fish is a popular guy. Then again...

It's a good game, though.

Also: if things continue as they are, it'll be very difficult to behave like a genuine human being in public. For a society increasingly obsessed with authenticity, this is a strange result.
It's already difficult to behave like a genuine human being in public. There are various demographics that all dislike one thing or another. On the one hand, no one likes corporate non-speak. On the other hand, being honest and straight forward provides less weasel room and eventually lands you on someone's toes.

I don't mind Phil Fish. I think his situation is akin to assholes on the playground finding out they can get a rise out of that one kid.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:29 pm

pacobird wrote:I hadn't done any research on the 40k MMO because it is an MMO in alpha and this is not my first rodeo, but I dug up an interview from last summer and apparently they're going to make the Orks the F2P faction, which is the best MMO-related idea I've heard in years

If true, this is bloody amazing/awesome.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Beyond just being hilarious, it's a pretty brilliant way to capture both the feeling of being in a waaagh (nobody gives a shit, none of this matters, let's just have a good time busting some heads) and fighting against one (god these guys are scrubs but there is no fucking end to them).

Like, if literally the only thing the Orks have going for them is that they outnumber everybody else 3-to-1, that's.....40k.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:36 pm

also the quest system is all player-driven (high-ranked players issue quests for lower-ranked ones), so getting up to warboss and directing a F2P Green Tide is potentially the best video game blog/column subject ever

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:03 pm

I haven't bought Tomb Raider yet because I was pretty sure it'd show up on PS+ eventually.

GUESS WHAT

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:11 pm

High Five!

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Also I just realized you can gift individual items out of the HIB now, so uh...

HEY WHO WANTS TO CHOKE ON MY FEZ

NEED SOMEONE TO GAG ON MY FURRY GAME TOO

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:49 pm

No one wants to choke on anything you have.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:57 pm

So I was looking for alternatives to Valkyria Chronicles and I ran into the Brothers in Arms series, which also uses a squad-command sort of system, though it's FPS. Now that doesn't really interest me at all, because I kind of wanted to play something that ISN'T an FPS and also I'm really not a big fan of playing heavily US-centric rah rah combat games. :/ The AI also looks like it can have hilarious dumb moments, but then Valkyria Chronicles could do that too, apparently.

What struck me is that these sort of games where you command squad-level numbers of bots with AI more advanced and individual than you get in an RTS don't actually have a genre name yet, I think? I wanted to google to see if I can find otehr games in this style, thinking maybe there was a name like "Tactical command" or something dumb that I could keyword search by, but I guess there isn't one?

It seems that for now these kind of games get lumped in with other, older types. VC is referred to as an action-combat RPG (talk about a clunky name) and BiA is referred to as an FPS. I guess "tactical command" is something of an emerging genre, given how much it depends on good modern AI development, so maybe there isn't a name for that yet? Or is there a shorthand and I just don't know it yet?

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:08 am

The term is semi-officially "squad-based FPS" (or squad-based shooter if it's not in first-person), but Wikipedia throws it into the tactical shooter lump (which also includes co-op games like Counter-Strike).

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:28 pm

Say, does anybody know of any decent non-ancient (sorry, Privateer), non-MMO (sorry EVE) SPACE PIRATES games where you actually get to, you know, be a space pirate? With ship battles, boardings and such?

At first I thought Rogue Galaxy might be the ticket, but that seems more like KOTOR in the sense that most of the action is planetside and space itself isn't very fleshed out: Like KOTOR, there are only a small number of planets to travel to and I can't seem to see if there are ANY space battles at all, though I assume so since you need a battleship to unlock some planets? I guess it's just a handful of set-pieces like Skies of Arcadia?

Not that I mind planetside elements/questing. I just want something silly fun with plenty of yaarrr. I feel like if Pirates are at least serious sometimes, SPACE pirates are almost inherently ridiculous. Which is good!

François

Postby François » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Seems like this is what Galactic Princess (fair warning: this is a funded-but-ongoing kickstarter page so I can't exactly vouch for eventual quality) wants to be. With smugglers instead of pirates but there's ship design and ship combat and boarding and you can steal cargo so same difference I suppose. Of course if you want to play it right now you're outta luck but nothing else really comes to mind.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:49 pm

Oh man, what was the previous big Kickstarter game with that look? Is that the new "cool kids" visual aesthetic for games?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:52 pm

Man, now I'm imagining a game that's basically GTA in space, only totally ridiculous like GTA 1 & 2 were.

That would be pretty damned awesome.

François

Postby François » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:00 pm

I assume you're talking about Superbrothers: Swords & Sorcery EP, though I don't recall it going through Kickstarter.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:00 pm

That's the one. Been a couple others recently, including another lush-looking game Mothra posted that was on KS.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:26 am

Proposed GOP tax credit plan excludes violent video game makers. In the same bill they talk about being tired of bills with loopholes that exclude certain beneficiaries based on political power.