MST3K, Rifftrax, and the rest

Thad

Re: MST3K, Rifftrax, & sundry

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:43 pm

At this point Patton Oswalt is just reading people's tweets. I am laughing so hard.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:22 pm

$5.9M passed; 13 episodes coming. (If you can spare $85 for the full-season pledge tier, now's the time to do it.) Nobody seems to have told Joel yet because he hasn't said anything about it. (He is currently onstage with a magician whose act is probably pretty impressive when it's not shot with a stationary camera from a bad angle. You can also hear some other people from off-camera who do not realize their mics are on.) No idea what they're going to do for the next two hours and forty minutes given that they have reached all their goals and don't seem to have anywhere else to go; maybe Patton Oswalt will come back out to read more people's tweets.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:38 am

I was not previously aware of the Game Grumps/Ninja Sex Party but they have been my favorite thing about this telethon.

Except maybe the lady from Garfunkel and Oates. I always liked her.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:10 am

Thad wrote:No idea what they're going to do for the next two hours and forty minutes given that they have reached all their goals and don't seem to have anywhere else to go;

Turns out to be a pretty obvious answer: there will be a 14th episode.

Welp, pretty freakin' happy. "#1 TV/film-related Kickstarter project EVER" is bound to grab some network exec's attention. Hoping the show gets picked up by, say, Netflix.

Hope Joel gets himself a good night's sleep and then gives us a nice update tomorrow. Wonder when they'll have the digital rewards ready.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:39 pm

Highlights:

Patton Oswalt reading and responding to tweets: 1:05
Kate Micucci's song, and Joel finds out they've passed $5.9M: 2:01
Game Grumps and Crow riff Manos: the Game: 2:13
Starbomb sing about Castlevania: 2:54
Bobby Lopez sings a song to $5,000 backers: 4:00
The final push: 4:10

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Bah, was out all last night, so I missed this. Catching up now.

This is just delightful.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:02 pm

Add-on rewards site still appears to be up, in case anyone still wants stuff.

$85 won't get you bonus downloads anymore, but it'll still get you the full season on DVD.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:52 pm

Got me a free $10 at Rifftrax (and if you've bought there before, check your E-Mail, because you probably did too). Anybody have any recommendations for what I should get? I've already got Jurassic Park, X-Files, Sharknado, and Fast and Furious, and I've got a Hulu subscription so I can watch any of the ones available on Hulu. And I've seen House on Haunted Hill, Manos, Birdemic, Starship Troopers, and Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny live.

(I'm also thinking I'll wait a couple days and see if Joel announces which Rifftrax shorts and MST3K episodes I'll be getting for my Kickstarter pledge, but the Rifftrax deal expires at the New Year, so if there's no news by then I'll just roll the dice and get something.)

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:58 am

I really like the Mission to the Moon ep with just Mike and Fred Willard.

Willard has this amazing "semi-senile old man" character that he keeps up the entire time, and I really enjoyed it:

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:54 pm

I do love me some Fred Willard, particularly in his upbeat-but-clueless persona ("And I believe I was the first person ever to use the phrase, 'I don't think so!'").

Right now I'm leaning toward ROTOR, but Missile to the Moon is definitely under consideration.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:50 pm

Humble Rifftrax Bundle

I'm definitely in for at least the bottom tier. Not sure if SMB is worth $12 (since I've already seen Manos, Birdemic, Plan 9, and Sharknado).

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:37 am

Decided "fuck it" and got Super Mario Bros.

It is about 60% video game references, 50% jokes about how the movie is not very much like the video games, and 10% Other. (There is some overlap.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:30 pm

MSTieCast has an interview with Shout Factory's Jordan Fields. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but if you're interested in the movie-licensing process, Shout's purchase of the MST3K rights, and what episodes we might see rereleased in the future, it's got some interesting information in there.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:24 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:36 pm

Joel's first update of the year. The good news: the offices and workshop are set up, and they've had multiple good offers from TV networks. The bad news: they haven't been able to line up international rights for all the movies they want yet, and that's pushed back production. (They're now hoping to start shooting in August.)

The update's got a little bit of storyboard for the new opening titles, concept art for some kind of spaceship towing debris, and a cardboard prototype of a new robot.

He says in the next 6-8 weeks they should have a schedule up for when people will get their rewards. Presumably those of us who just have digital rewards coming can expect them sooner than people who are getting physical goods shipped to their homes.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Thad wrote:The bad news: they haven't been able to line up international rights for all the movies they want yet, and that's pushed back production.

I've always wondered how they got away with the rights for some of these movies. Never even considered international holders of the copyright.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:26 am

I've got a link a few posts up to a podcast that goes into pretty deep detail about the process of getting back the rights to movies used in old episodes, if you're interested in wading into the reeds a little bit.

Of course, getting the rights to movies for new episodes is bound to be a little different, since if they can't figure out the rights to the movies they want, they can always move on to others, instead, rather than having the limited pool of episodes already made.

I don't know how recent the movies they're going with are going to be, but if any of them are more than 56 years old then they'd be public domain by now if not for the fucking copyright extensions of '76 and '98.

Joel mentioned that he'd like to do more movies from the '80's and '90's, which I'm all for, but I'm hoping there are a few from the '50's and '60's in there too.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:51 am

Not sure if I agree. I've always found the pacing on the 50's and 60's flicks to be agony, even with Joel/Mike and the bots.

Sci-Fi from that period tends to be solid, though - Gamera, Prince of Space, Neptune Men, Beginning of the End, Deadly Mantis, stuff like that.

I think late 70's, early 80's is my favorite era of bad movie.

Thad wrote:MSTieCast has an interview with Shout Factory's Jordan Fields. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but if you're interested in the movie-licensing process, Shout's purchase of the MST3K rights, and what episodes we might see rereleased in the future, it's got some interesting information in there.

I'll give this a listen.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:07 am

Mothra wrote:Not sure if I agree. I've always found the pacing on the 50's and 60's flicks to be agony, even with Joel/Mike and the bots.

Sci-Fi from that period tends to be solid, though - Gamera, Prince of Space, Neptune Men, Beginning of the End, Deadly Mantis, stuff like that.

I'd say the "youth culture" flicks like Catalina Caper and Daddy-O are pretty great too. And while the Russo-Finnish Trilogy has its pacing problems, they may be the most visually fascinating movies they ever did. And then sometimes you get something like Manos, which is such a failure in every way that it becomes captivating.

There are fun movies and blah movies across all eras and genres, I think.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:29 am

Yeah, true. Girl and the Gold Boots might be my favorite Mike-era ep, and Horror Party Beach/Spider Skull Island were real solid.