Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

nosimpleway

Re: Reading this Undertale LP fills you with determination.

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Sometime between my blowing off his arms and legs and Alphys showing up at Asgore's place to stop me from fighting him, she found time to fix his new body, so he's stuck in Robot David Bowie form from now on. He's also hired Shyren as his backup singer and Bl-- er, Napstablook as his sound mixer.

............................ something cool.

Naptablook goes on to confess that they don't know the human's name. See, there was this big flash of light that made all the snails on the farm disappear, while Blooky was listening to some tunes. The flash of light knocked at the door, but Blooky just closed the blinds and pretended not to be home, thus avoiding the entire mess with Flowey/Asriel absorbing every other monster soul in the underground.

I mean, I'd transcribe it straight from the game, but counting all those ellipses gets awfully tedious.

Ah, so the component part of Lemon Bread was in fact Shyren's sister -- and Lemon Bread still speaks with a super-creepy hundred voices at once. And Shyren seems to have lost her body somewhere, and is just a floating vaguely-fishlike head.

The puzzle goomba doesn't believe the monsters have been freed, Aaron is flattered you came to see him flex one last time, and the snails back at Blook Family farms are worried about the collapse of the housing market now that demand for real estate in the underground has dropped to nil. On to Snowdin!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:02 pm

Not much has changed in Papyrus's and Sans's house.

Dogamy, Dogaressa, Doggo, and Greater Dog are playing with the Endogeny. Greater Dog and Endogeny make the same boinging noise when you talk to them. Doggo is happy to have a constantly undulating, shambling, convulsing family member, because they're so easy for him to see. Dogamy is a little worried that all of their parents being combined together means he's married to his own sister, but... they're dogs. As he puts it, "That stuff's normal."

Ice Wolf can now take a break and buy some pants. And change his name to Jimmy Hotpants.

The patrons at Grillby's are still talking about mostly the same stuff they were before. One wants to go to the surface to meet hot guys, one wants to try human food (and eventually, human bathrooms), and one is no longer concerned about cityfolk coming and fucking up his hipster paradise.

The duck at the bar admits he never knew what Grillby was saying when he translated for him. The fish at the bar gives up on reeling in a sweetheart. Grillby himself gives a terse but understandable, "Good job".

Oh yeah, I forgot. This was the playthrough I ignored Monster Kid's peril and let her fall in order to rush for Undyne. Monster Kid is understandably miffed.

Ah, that explains some stuff. I guess.

The lagomorph shopkeeper can be spoken to at length, but doesn't really offer a whole lot of insight beyond what you know from playing the game. Like, did you know that the RUINs opened up? From the inside??? And the queen was living in there?????

The Snowdrake family is happy that their wife and mother has been returned to them. Even if. Their family. Is bigger than evah. Now that Mrs. Snowdrake. Is combined. With 16 othah people.

Still doesn't open.

Let's see. Ice Cap wonders if he should get an earring to help him stand out. The snowman would like it if I took the piece of him up to the surface. Gyftrot apparently doesn't want to move out of the underground, and is looking forward to some peace and quiet with everyone else gone. The bear back in Snowdin wonders if humans will appreciate their wrapped-gifts-under-the-tree tradition. And the Snowdin newspaper staff are wondering how to best print their last edition, since their readership is dropping off sharply with everyone moving away. Wait a minute, if monsters already have an internet, how is there a newspaper still around?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Back in Home, you realize that Toriel sleeps in a queen-sized bed. Get it? Get it???

Anyway.

That little firm cat has been in here, too.

...the what now?

Aww! Hey, little guy!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:21 pm

And if you trek aaaaaaalllllllll the way back to the very first room of the game, where Frisk got up from their fall at the very beginning, you find Asriel.

Image: Someone has to take care of these flowers.

Come on, don't be like that.

Image: Frisk, please leave me alone. I can't come back. I just can't, OK? I don't want to break their hearts all over again.

Ha ha! Tragically literal.

Image: It's better if they never see me.

Image: Why are you still here? Are you trying to keep me company? Frisk... ... Hey. Let me ask you a question.

Image: Frisk... Why did you come here? Everybody knows the legend, right? "Travellers who climb Mt. Ebott are said to disappear." ...Frisk. Why would you ever climb a mountain like that? Was it foolishness? Was it fate? Or was it... Because you...? Well. Only you know the answer, don't you...?

Only they do, because this is a question asked of Frisk-the-character, not me-the-player.

Image: I know why Rtwo climbed the mountain. It wasn't for a very happy reason. Frisk. I'll be honest with you. Rtwo hated humanity. Why they did, they never talked about it. But they felt very strongly about that.

Image: Frisk... You really ARE different from Rtwo. In fact, though you have similar, uh, fashion choices... I don't know why I ever acted like you were the same person. Maybe... the truth is... Rtwo wasn't really the greatest person. While, Frisk... You're the type of friend I wish I always had. So maybe I was kind of projecting a little bit. Let's be honest. I did some weird stuff as a flower.

Image: There's one last thing I feel like I should tell you. Frisk, when Rtwo and I combined our SOULs together... The control over our body was actually split between us. They were the one that picked up their own empty body. And then, when we got to the village... They were the one that wanted to... ...to use our full power. I was the one that resisted. And then, because of me, we... Well, that's why I ended up a flower.

Image: Frisk... This whole time, I've blamed myself for that decision. That's why I adopted that horrible view of the world. "Kill or be killed." But now... After meeting you... Frisk, I don't regret that decision anymore. I did the right thing.
If I killed those humans... We would have had to wage war against all of humanity. And in the end, everyone went free, right? I still feel sad knowing how long it took... ...so maybe it wasn't a perfect decision. But you can't regret hard choices your whole life, right?

Image: Well, not that I have much of a life left. But that's besides the point. Frisk, thank you for listening to me. You should really be with your friends now, OK? Oh, and, please... In the future, if you uh, see me... Don't think of it as me, OK? I just want you to remember me like this. Someone that was your friend for a little while.

Image: Oh, and Frisk... Be careful in the outside world, OK? Despite what everyone thinks, it's not as nice as it is here. There are a lot of Floweys out there. And not everything can be resolved by just being nice. Frisk... Don't kill, and don't be killed, alright? That's the best you can strive for. Well, see you.

Naw man, I'm gonna chill with you here. You got a raw deal, what with the whole... well, it wasn't a suicide pact. You were just a lackey for the first child manipulating you, then you died and got resurrected as a soulless flower creature. Least I could do is be here for you while you're still around.

Image: Frisk... Don't you have anything better to do?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:51 pm

That's everybody, I think. You're given one last "Are you sure" before you exit the gate out of the underground.

Image: Isn't it beautiful, everyone?

Image: Wow... it's e-even better than on TV. WAY better! Better than I ever imagined!

Image: Frisk, you LIVE with this!? The sunlight is so nice... and the air is so fresh! I really feel alive!

Image: HEY SANS... WHAT'S THAT GIANT BALL?

Image: we call that "the sun", my friend.

Image: THAT'S THE SUN!? WOWIE!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M FINALLY MEETING THE SUN!!!

Image: I could stand here and watch this for hours...

Image: Yes, it is beautiful, is it not? But we should really think about what comes next.

Image: Oh, right. Everyone... This is the beginning of a bright new future. An era of peace between humans and monsters. Frisk... I have something to ask of you. Will you act as our ambassador to the humans?

Image: YEAH! FRISK WILL BE THE BEST AMBASSADOR! AND I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS, WILL BE THE BEST MASCOT! I'LL GO MAKE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION!

Exit Papyrus, stage right.

Image: welp. someone's gotta keep him from getting into trouble. see you guys.

Exit Sans, stage... uh, off the bottom of the screen.

Image: Man, do I have to do EVERYTHING?

Undyne follows Papyrus.

Image: Hey, Undyne!! Wait up!!

And Alphys follows Undyne.

Image: Whoops. Uh, should I do something?

Image: Well, gotta go!

Exit Asgore.

Image: It seems that everyone is quite eager to set off. Frisk... You came from this world, right...? So you must have a place to return to, do you not? What will you do now?

You're given options: "I want to stay with you" and "I have places to go".

But uh

Doesn't Frisk have a home and a family somewhere? Doesn't Frisk have responsibilities as the ambassador for monsterkind? So... no, Toriel. We're all free now. I can visit you anytime you'll have me, that's what all this was for. I don't have to live with you.

Image: Ah. ...I see. Well, I hope that I am not keeping you.

Image: Frisk. "See you around."

And exit Toriel.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Music: Bring It In, Guys!

Every monster gets a short description. Some are yellow, some are white.

Moldsmal: Backup Dancer
Loox: Reformed Bully
Vegetoid: Popular Nutritionist
Migosp: Casually Enjoys Life
Napstablook: Spooky DJ

Papyrus fulfills his dream of riding down a highway with the top down, wind in his hai-- er, across his skull. He's not going particularly fast, though; Sans can outpace him on a tricycle.

Snowdrake: Semi-successful Comedian
Icecap: Thinking About Its Hat
Gyftrot: Finding Peace and Quiet
Doggo: Has His Own Seeing Eye Dog
Dogamy & Dogaressa: Finally No.1 Nose Nuzzle Champions
Lesser Dog: Searching for Affection
Greater Dog: Unaware of Life's Changes

Snowdrake, Icecap, and Gyftrot are credited to Magnolia Porter, whereas the rest of the monsters up to this point are credited to either Toby or Temmie (or both).

Cut to Undyne and Alphys (and Lesser Dog and Greater Dog and Onionsan) on the beach. Undyne slides over to Alphys and gives her a little smooch on the cheek...

...to which Alphys overreacts a bit. Undyne finds this so hilarious that she pounds cracks into the pavement with her fist during her laughing fit.

Aaron: Still Flexing
Moldbygg: Idyllic Life on the Beach
Woshua: Legendary Janitor
Temmie: Temmie
Mad Dummy: Calmed Down... Just a Bit
Shyren: Released Her First Hit Single, "When You Say Goodbye It's Like Magical Bullets Are Slowly Flying Out Of Your Mouth And Hitting Me"

Aaron is credited to Temmie (reluctantly). Woshua is "inspired by OMOCAT", whatever that means.

Mettaton puts on a show in his old form, although he soon reveals his humanoid legs. Everyone already knows he's got a Robot David Bowie form, that broadcast had record ratings! This is a rubbish reveal performance!

Shyren and Napstablook on backup sound, Burgerpants makes his stage debut as some sort of shrub. Temmie, Bratty, and Catty are recognizable in the audience, and I guess that might be Alphys's weird-ass head silhouette on the left.

Vulkin: Encouraging Space Heater
Tsunderplane: Finally Confesses (What!? I don't!!)
Pyrope: Candle In The World's Largest Birthday Cake
Muffet: Spider Success With a New Bakery
Royal Guards: Use Your Imagination
Final Froggit: Giving Life Its Own Meaning
Whimsalot: The Long Battle Finally Ending...
Astigmatism: Domineering Glasses Seller
Madjick: Street Magician
Knight Knight: Taking a Well-Deserved Nap
Amalgamates: Living With Their Families, Thinking About Sticks

Muffet is credited to Kickstarter backer Michelle Czajkowski. Vulkin is by Magnolia Porter again. Tsunderplane is credited to Toby, so I guess it wasn't a Kickstarter backer after all. It's just a weird monster.

Asgore rocks a Hawaiian shirt, trimming a hedge into the shape of Papyrus's face when Monster Kid runs in and faceplants once again.

It is revealed that Toriel opened her school.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:09 pm

The silhouette of Mt. Ebbott goes sepia-toned...

THE EN--

Oh no! Asriel, what are you up to now?!

Music: Last Goodbye

Cue every single Kickstarter backer's name sliding onscreen, realigning itself, and firing at me. One last bullet hell!

They fly by too quickly to read, but it'd be like names out of the phonebook anyway. I catch Nich Margaros fly by at one point, and that's the only name I recognize.

If you touch a name, it turns yellow. There's no, like, hit point damage during the last credits roll.

Welp.

Healy

Postby Healy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:27 pm

D'awww. So what are you doing next?

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Healy wrote:D'awww. So what are you doing next?

GENOCIDE!
GENOCIDE!
GENOCIDE!

I haven't actually seen anyone do genocide (Game Grumps quit for now after doing True Pacifist.)

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:18 am

It's kind of hard to do No Mercy after seeing True Pacifist. Especially what happens when you load the game up again.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:17 am

Healy wrote:D'awww. So what are you doing next?

I currently have about 2000 more screenshots to filter, transcribe, and put up. I'm nowhere near done with this LP yet.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:32 am

Though it's heartrending to do a Genocide/No Mercy run, the game is better for it. It fills out the final edges of the characters.

Especially everyone's favorite lazybones.
ImageImageImage

Z%rø

Postby Z%rø » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:33 am

Actually... Asriel took Rtwo's body to the surface, and then brought it back before he died in the castle garden, right? Where is Rtwo's corpse? Or bones, by now, I guess. Scattered remains.

[Fallen Child]'s remains are under the bed of flowers you fall on. Toriel took them with her when she left.

Naptablook goes on to confess that they don't know the human's name. See, there was this big flash of light that made all the snails on the farm disappear, while Blooky was listening to some tunes. The flash of light knocked at the door, but Blooky just closed the blinds and pretended not to be home, thus avoiding the entire mess with Flowey/Asriel absorbing every other monster soul in the underground.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:32 am

[REDACTED]

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:49 am

You actually played the game again?
You're a monster.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Next time you boot up the game, instead of the usual backstory sequence, Flowey pops up again.

Image: Seems as if everyone is perfectly happy. Monsters have returned to the surface. Peace and prosperity will rule across the land.

Image: Take a deep breath. There's nothing left to worry about.

Image: ...

Image: Well. There is one thing. One last threat. One being with the power to erase EVERYTHING... Everything everyone's worked so hard for. ...You know who I'm talking about, don't you?

Image: That's right.

Image: I'm talking about YOU.

Image: YOU still have the power to reset everything. Toriel, Sans, Asgore, Alphys, Papyrus, Undyne... If you so choose, everyone will be ripped from this timeline and sent back before all of this ever happened. Nobody will remember anything. You'll be able to do whatever you want.

Image: ...That power. I know that power. That's the power you were fighting to stop, wasn't it? The power that I wanted to use. But now, the idea of resetting everything... I... I don't think I could do it all again. Not after that.

Image: ...So, please. Just let them go. Let Frisk be happy. Let Frisk live their life. ...But. If I can't change your mind... If you DO end up erasing everything... ...you have to erase my memories, too.

Image: ...I'm sorry. You've probably heard this a hundred times already, haven't you...?

Image: ...Well, that's all. See you later...

Image: Rtwo.

You always have the option to "Reset" your game anytime you like. Only now does it become a "True Reset", the difference apparently being whether you also pull Flowey back into a reset with you so that he doesn't remember what happened before.

A True Reset also prompts for a name for the Fallen Human, whereas normally the game will just tell you that a name is already chosen and proceed with whatever you typed in before. So I put in the kid's canon name, and get the warning that the time paradox from having the first child and eighth child named the same will make my life hell.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Flowey doesn't remember me. Frisk. Rtwo. Whoever.

Let's try again.

Flowey looks at his own speech balloon, realizes he accidentally called them "bullets", and loads a save where he said "friendliness pellets" instead.

The rest of the introduction proceeds as normal.

This time I caught Flowey's face as he's blasted offscreen, though.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:00 pm

You can talk to Toriel where she's hiding behind the pillar before she reveals herself.

The tray of "Monster Candy" lets you take one candy, then calls you disgusting, then tells you you feel like the scum of the earth, then upends onto the floor when you take a fourth. But with the name "Frisk", you can only take three free healing items before the bowl is upset.

Music: Stronger Monsters

Remember when I said that the monsters in random encounters in the CORE were very similar to the monsters in the RUINS? When you name the fallen child "Frisk", the ones from the CORE just move back in.

There are some new monsters, too. Parsnik is a lot like Vegetoid, so maybe you can still have a little snack...?

Weird but functionally similar!

Moldessa is a bit like Moldsmal, but you have to rearrange its face to its liking before you can let it go. Moldsmals can be released without actually doing anything.

Finally Migospel. Where Migosp loses the hive-mind and gains his own personality when he's alone, Migospel is a cheerful clown in a group and gets lonely and depressed on his own.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Napstablook hasn't changed.

Toriel's phonecalls are no less common, but slightly different in content.

Because she's run out of butterscotch and cinnamon, and has baked a plain snail pie.

Escargot don't taste like much, they're mostly a means of conveying butter sauce into the mouth. I can only speculate on snail pie.

Toriel still invites you to stay and takes things quite personally if you don't, leading to...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Image: What's the hold up!? Shouldn't she be dead by now!? I've been waiting in that room for...

Flowey looks up at the text floating above him.

Image: ...Hard mode...? Gee, you better take a picture.

This is screenshot number eight thousand one hundred sixty nine.

Image: People are gonna think you're REALLY cool.

Image: ...NOT!

Image: Golly, talk about a tryhard. PA. THE. TIC.

Image: Uh, so, are you gonna keep going, or...?

Annoying dog, from offscreen: It's over.

Image: Hahaha! I KNEW that! Why does everyone have to be so condescending!? ...So what's YOUR excuse? Sitting around here...?

Annoying Dog: I already said that.

Flowey dives back underground without another word. And that's it. It's over. Playthrough 3 is in the can.