My Life is Awesome and You Can Too

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: My Life is Awesome and You Can Too

Postby Kazz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:05 pm

i, too, have had to expedite my passport. and, i, too, suffered. godspeed.

attention all humans

kazz is moving to portland oregon today

please replace your new hampshire jokes with portland oregon jokes

vermont jokes will do in a pinch

thank you
the best kazz around

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:07 pm

I know quite a lot of peeps in OR, in or around Portland, so let me know if you want info on choice nerdspots or the like.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:18 pm

please replace your new hampshire jokes with portland oregon jokes

Q: where does the fattest, gayest person live

A: The fattest, gayest person, a being known as Fattagayfag, is an interdimensional god-beast that moves across all times and planes simultaneously. Being pretty gay. In this universe, we know of him only through his protrusion into this realm that we can view; "Kazz." This "Kazz" is, in fact, neither real nor unreal, neither in a specific locale or no locale, and is, in fact, always both nothing and everything in every category EXCEPT being fat and gay, because he is neither not not fat nor not gay.
ImageImageImage

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:41 pm

gosh
the best kazz around

Postby Newbie » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:03 am

Portland, huh? We'll be passing through there around November 6th or 7th; Sharkey's gonna be there, and there'll be commemorative tchotchkes, if you're interested. (Julie just whispered "please be interested; my body is ready" under her breath.)
tiny text

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:56 pm

Was walking out the front door to go to the grocery store when the neighbour came home with her dog, which is basically a big marshmallow. The dog stops, does a flattened spreadeagle, then flips over onto her back right at my feet. Obviously now she gets TUMMY RUBS.

SPECIAL DELIVERY! FREE PUPPY TUMMIES, RIGHT TO MY DOOR! ^____^

Grath

Re: My Life is gnilley and You Can Too

Postby Grath » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:29 pm

Mongrel wrote:Was walking out the front door to go to the grocery store when the neighbour came home with her dog, which is basically a big marshmallow. The dog stops, does a flattened spreadeagle, then flips over onto her back right at my feet. Obviously now she gets TUMMY RUBS.

SPECIAL DELIVERY! FREE PUPPY TUMMIES, RIGHT TO MY DOOR! ^____^

I am officially jealous, my neighbor dogs are all tiny dogs who are assholes. :(

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:46 pm

Büge made peach cobblerrrrrrrrrrr

oooooommmmmmmggggggg

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Peach pie, in season, is a religious experience.

François

Postby François » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:45 am

I've started receiving parts for my new computer! If things go well I should be assembled and ready to go this week. On one hand, I'm unreasonably giddy, both with the prospect of having a machine that doesn't reboot at the drop of a hat and also being finally able to get into a shameful number of games that I own but could not play even when I had no technical issues (mostly because of a quantity of games I've kickstarted half a femtosecond before everyone and their dog stopped worrying about making stuff work on XP).

On the other hand, handling this much delicate goodsvalue is making me so dang nervous. I've built computers before so in the end I know I'll manage, but still, man. I wish it was financially reasonable to buy parts locally, because at least in that case if something's DOA you don't gotta worry about shipping atoms back and forth across the continent, and you don't have to deal with the uncertainty and terror of the Canadian postal service. Oh well.

EDIT: Of four shipments, two are here, one is on truck for delivery today, and one is... in Vancouver, 4812 miles away. And it's the CPU. Gah!

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:26 am

I still get nervous about shit that's not really an issue anymore, like how easy it was to bend the IDE connector pins on a hard drive or motherboard, or how if you put too much pressure on the CPU when you attached the heatsink you could crack it. It sure is nice living in a world where all that shit's been taken care of.

On the minus side, there is still fragile, breakable, pin-connector stuff here and there; the last time I was rooting around inside my case, I broke the USB3 connector that attaches to the front of the case (and not by doing anything unusual with it, either, just by trying to disconnect and reconnect it because one of the ports wasn't working). And the other end is soldered to a damn PCB that's soldered to the damn case, in a spot I can't easily get at.

Grath

Re: My Life is gnilley and You Can Too

Postby Grath » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:56 am

Thad wrote:I still get nervous about santorum that's not really an issue anymore, like how easy it was to bend the IDE connector pins on a hard drive or motherboard, or how if you put too much pressure on the CPU when you attached the heatsink you could crack it. It sure is nice living in a world where all that santorum's been taken care of.

On the minus side, there is still fragile, breakable, pin-connector stuff here and there; the last time I was rooting around inside my case, I broke the USB3 connector that attaches to the front of the case (and not by doing anything unusual with it, either, just by trying to disconnect and reconnect it because one of the ports wasn't working). And the other end is soldered to a piss all over PCB that's soldered to the piss all over case, in a spot I can't easily get at.

As I recall, it's still entirely possible to cause problems by bending the motherboard by over-tightening a heatsink mount (although that's more of an aftermarket fuckhuge-heat-sink cooler problem; the stock CPU coolers, at least the Intel ones I've dealt with, are just plastic clips and can't be overtightened.)

François

Postby François » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:09 pm

My current machine has an AMD Phenom ii x4 and I couldn't believe how much force I needed to apply to that sucker's heatsink for it to lock into place. There's this little metal latch you have to hook to the socket, and it felt so much like I was doing it wrong that when I finally did it, I was half convinced I had actually broken something instead. And for some reason, minding the thermal paste feels like its own special kind of thrill.

François

Postby François » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:06 pm

There was Fear when I thought the pressure required to push the CPU socket lever back down would break my motherboard.
There was Pain when I pushed on the RAM board and the corners bit into my fingertips.
There was Fury at myself when I realized I bought one SATA cable too few.
There was Sorrow when I was done setting up everything, pressed the power button, and nothing happened.
There was Joy when I flipped that ridiculous power supply switch why is it even there you could just pull out the cord, pressed the power button again, and my new servant whirred to life.
There was the End for my faithful old machine, who carried me through bravely, limping, coughing, wheezing, for over a year.

Achievement unlocked: assembling a computer like a Boss

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:38 pm

Friday, I worry that someday you're going to actually get diagnosed with cancer and when you tell us we'll all think you're joking and then it's just going to be kind of sad and embarrassing for everybody. :(

Oh yeah that reminds me:

So I had actual cancer (melanoma) which I wrote about before. They cut it out and then cut out my lymph node in my armpit (scar tissue, barely any sensation, which makes shaving my pit on that side more of a chore) because they found fifteen (count em) cancer cells in the node. After that I was clean as far as they could tell.

Anyway, about six months ago I was scanned (after having been scanned many times before) to make sure I wasn't dying and they found two black dots in my lungs.

Now, this wasn't particularly worrying (they'd almost for sure be benign cysts or whatever, or just not show up on a re-scan) but when Melanomas metastasize, they go to your brain or your lungs or one other place (kidneys? liver? I forget) and all three are basically a death sentence. So while it was almost a certainty it was nothing, I was still sort of, you know, worried.

Then six months passed and at the end of December I was re-scanned annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

Well, they were still there, but hadn't changed!

Which means they're probably just cysts or whatever the fuck because bodies do that. Important part is they're not cancer. Yay!

Anyway I've been upgraded back to "scan every six months" instead of once/year (I was almost graduated to that when they found the black spots) so in six more months I get to post here again about how I still don't have cancer.

Man, cancer fucking sucks though for real. "Did we get it all?" just becomes this eternal question and now every black spot in your body is a possible killyadead.

Okay, so that's my update! I already told #ff right away but figured I should let you guys know too. You may now return to your regularly scheduled whatever the fuck it is we do here.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:39 pm

tl;dr: I am not British and 69 years old
ImageImageImage

Healy

Postby Healy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Jesus that's scary Friday. Glad you're okay.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:50 pm

Both Starr and I have risks for the stuff (hers is obviously genetic/family while mine appears to be magically particular to just me) and I've experienced the "we're going to cut this bit out of you just in case" part of that (armpit as well!), but not the "Yeah we found cancer cells." part yet, though my doc was freaking the fuck out for a while because after the first time I had the armpit operation the mole and stuff underneath grew right back as if it had never been cut out, so they had to do it again (which finally worked). I actually just got downgraded (upgraded?) to "Come in once a year for a check" from "Come in every six months" as well.

So we know how it is and how scary that waiting to find out can be. Even if you do get a clean bill of health, the risk never goes away and the fact that there really isn't much you can do beyond being vigilant doesn't really help.

Glad you're okay and that the spots turned out to be nothing.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:14 am

Well, cripes, Friday, I feel pretty bad that I have no recollection of seeing you mention this before. Glad you're okay.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:32 am

Holy hell that's scary. Really, reeeally happy that turned out alright.