Star Wars

Friday

Re: Star Wars

Postby Friday » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Oh and Kylo kidnaps Poe and then they have like twenty sex scenes.
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:22 pm

Yeah more like Poe DAMN-son, am I right

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:24 pm

Friday wrote:
who's Finn's family?

Finn is the son of Lando/Leia, but it was when Han had already broken up with Leia so don't worry I'm not slut shaming.

Also, he turns out to be a half-mandalorian, because Lando was secretly the offspring of Darth Nihilus and Handmaiden, who fell into a time loop which changed his DNA. That's why Finn can breath fire and fly.

In addition, a new character I made named "Crystal Tears, The Maiden of Battlesong" shows up and she's the daughter of Bastila and Time itself. She is destined to save the Universe from Dr. Robotnik. Of course she's also half dragon and half Timelord, and turns out to be the clone of the Doctor's 17th regeneration sent from the future to this reality to stop the Daleks from allying with the Zerg.

She and Rey have a fight and Crystal Tears wins, obviously, because she's a lot more powerful. But then Rey wants to be friends but Crystal Tears says "no i can't be friends with you everyone who gets close to me gets hurt" and goes off alone.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Given that we've already got one new character who has familial ties to the old cast, I'd just as soon not go back to that well. But yeah, it IS Star Wars.

Healy wrote:Like, the other characters all call Kylo "Ren", which you'd think would be confusing if there are still other Knights around.

Not any moreso than any other title, like Doctor, Captain, Sir, etc.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:20 pm

Healy wrote:More important question: who's Finn's family?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Agree.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:14 am

I already think Finn's character was destroyed by the fact that his introductory scene was that he doesn't like killing civilians but the next scene he has no issue unloading into a crowded hanger full of people he was raised with and that trusted him and may be in the same situation he found himself in moments prior.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:04 pm

There's a difference between executing unarmed people on whose faces you can see terror and pain, and lashing out in desperation against a squadron of masked troops trying to kill you, indoctrination notwithstanding.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Well, to be fair, Finn is written pretty piss-poorly as far as an actual "Raised as a child soldier" character goes. He seems much more like a normal guy who just happened to be there, like a new recruit or something.

But even with all the flaws I saw in TFA, I was willing to give that one a pass.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:57 pm

Yeah, Finn is a cool character and idea but he, like everything else in the movie outside of maybe Kylo Ren, makes no sense.

I was talking to my friends about this: the general idea is that the plot moved too fast to soak it in.

Okay. That's a really nice way of putting it!

Imagine you're playing a game of Dungeons and Dragons. Suddenly, without preamble, the DM goes "AND THEN SUDDENLY A HUGE ELDER DRAGON SHOWS UP! AND HE'S TEN TIMES AS BIG AS THE ELDER DRAGON YOU KILLED BEFORE! AND HE HAS SUPER PLASMA QUADRA BREATH THAT CAN BLOW UP FOUR CITIES AT ONCE! AND HE'S DOING IT! RIGHT NOW! HE JUST BLEW UP FOUR CITIES YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO! LOOK AT THE EXPLOSIONS AND DEVASTATION!"

That is, literally, what happens in the film, except replace "dragon" with sci-fi skins.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:51 pm

I think that's putting it well. Until the name scene I thought it was going to be that Finn was a brand new conscription and that similar things happened pretty regularly, he was just a particularly skilled/lucky guy.

It's really a running theme that took me out of the movie that before basically every action scene we get the character announcing how they've never seen/flown/worked on/etc. one of these before then do it better than an army with a lifetime of experience doing just that.

Spram

Postby Spram » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:01 pm

beatbandito wrote:It's really a running theme that took me out of the movie that before basically every action scene we get the character announcing how they've never seen/flown/worked on/etc. one of these before then do it better than an army with a lifetime of experience doing just that.

THE FORCE!

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:40 am

That's your answer to everything.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:29 pm

A Princess on Lothal was pretty great, and the first time I've felt an Original Trilogy character guest-starring on Rebels actually told us something new and interesting about her. I really like seeing Leia at this point in her life, clandestinely supporting the Rebellion while publicly maintaining the appearance of support of the Empire.

It's a pity they couldn't get Carrie Fisher, though.

Büge

Postby Büge » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm sure she would make for a good guest star, but I'm more sure hearing a 60-year-old smoker's voice coming out of a teenager would be a jarring experience for everyone.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:15 am

I've been loving a lot of the crazy fan theories I've been seeing about what will happen/be revealed in the next two movies.

Snoke is actually Kylo Ren from the future

Rey is Luke's daughter, she was there, but very little when the Knights of Ren revealed themselves and fucked up Luke's academy. One of the Knights of Ren was going to kill her, but Kylo Ren felt bad for her (being his cousin) and so he killed that guy and it was he who left her on Jakku.

That second one is based on taking a part of Rey's force vision literally, where a Knight of Ren looks like he's going to attack Rey when suddenly an unstable looking red light saber kills that guy.

I think it's more likely though, that Luke was the one killing that guy, using Kylo or someone else's light saber because his was broken or taken away from him. He then left her on Jakku because the Knights of Ren killed his wife and he feared that if they found him again, they'd kill her.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Büge wrote:I'm sure she would make for a good guest star, but I'm more sure hearing a 60-year-old smoker's voice coming out of a teenager would be a jarring experience for everyone.

I think she always sounded like a grumpy old woman.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:23 am

So a Star Wars fun fact. The original idea for the look of TIE fighters came from the cover art for this edition of The Stainless Steel Rat:

Here's the original concept sketch by George Lucas:

It's just a small bit from this article: A (nearly) Complete History of the Millennium Falcon

Not the fictional history, but the real-life history of the design and creation of what started off as Han Solo's "pirate ship". Pretty interesting!

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Three minutes from the coming finale:

Oh hey, a temple on Malachor. Nice nod to the KotOR games even if they're technically no longer canon.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:46 pm

Been catching up on Rebels (was holding off because WatchCartoons was missing episode 15 for a couple weeks). This season has not only been much stronger overall, it's getting better as the season goes on.

We got up to the episode where Chopper wanders off to steal a replacement leg and I gotta say that "You abandoned your post." almost single-handedly made up for TFA for Starr and I.

Also, in it's pretty hilarious that between a recorded fifteen-second instructional video and a later ten-second vision, the makers of Rebels managed to give Anakin more gravitas, credibility, and (in the vision) legit terror than at any point in three movies worth of Prequels.

I want to watch those two episodes again already. I can't even remember the last time I watched anything Star Wars apart from the original movies where I wanted to do that.