Woah Dangsaurus

Re: The Winter Up There Must Give People Brain Freeze

Postby Mothra » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:01 pm

hahahaha

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:15 pm

This will remain adorable, just so long as nobody tells those kids anything.

EDIT: To be clear, I think the convention handled the the situation brilliantly and good for them.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:27 pm

This is a few days old now, but I just realized this is from Toronto:

Uh.

UHHHHH.

It doesn't help that I just discovered one of my oldest friends is one of those miserable self-professed "nice guys" (I thought he was smarter than that, but... I guess not! :( ).

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Scenario 1:

You are in a room. In this room are 1000 people. 500 men, 500 women.

You attempt to talk to them. However, in each case, they turn away from you, looking mildly disgusted. They keep staring at a specific spot on your face.

You go to the mirror. There is a huge, disgusting pimple on your face. Wow. How did this get here? Better take care of it.

Scenario 2:

You are in a room. The pimple is still on your face.

The room is still 1000 people, but they're all women.

They all continue to stare at your pimple as you talk to them before they turn away.

"SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH WOMEN"
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Fun fact: In real life, they reach the "SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH WOMEN" conclusion even though the room still has 500 men.
ImageImageImage

Kazz
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Kazz » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:40 am

acneist
the best kazz around

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:52 am

The more I read by MRA's, PUA's, and self-described nice guys who finish last, the more I'm convinced that these are a bunch of dudes who never got over being rejected in high school.

I mean, that's the kinda shit I used to whine about too, when I was 15 or so. I grew out of it.

Also, I never put up fucking flyers. I mean, Jesus Christ.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:00 am

Heh, I finally tried that isidewith.com website, the Canadian survey.

lol, I guess I'm voting right, voting for the greens.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:43 am

Friday wrote:Fun fact: In real life, they reach the "SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH WOMEN" conclusion even though the room still has 500 men.

Yep. To be fair, the average straight man wouldn't notice if another man had a hole through its skull. And if he -did- notice, then the man with the hole wouldn't notice his reaction.

I have no idea if this is down to monkey "staring = challenge" thing or men are just really badly educated social-wise. Probably both.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Well, yeah. If you change "huge, disgusting pimple" in my analogy to "crippling lack of social awareness and a fundamental misunderstanding of how human beings interact with each other", you start to see why so many sadsacks exist.

I should mention that in order for you REALLY go full Nice Guy, (you never go full Nice Guy) you also need to have a massive fucking ego problem and a serious lack of introspection. Just being an awkward sadsack isn't enough. Awkward fucks who aren't additionally idiots tend to know that they're awkward fucks and don't blame women for it.
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:15 pm

You see the same shit in women who decide all men are shit, too. It's just slightly less disgusting because it doesn't (usually) manifest with as much self-pity. But you need the same amount of ego (nothing is wrong with ME) and lack of self-inspection.

When you think of a man-hating bitch, you think of a self-important idiot, right? Women haters (which is what Nice Guys are) just disguise it with a thin veil of "woe is me, alas, poor nice guy".
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:44 pm

I think the error tends to be one of ego. (Some) men see relationships as competition, as "What's he got that I don't?" Or "I can't believe she's dating that asshole instead of me!"

The trick is in learning it's not about you. If a woman's not into you, it's not because she has some kind of character flaw. There are women you're not into, and you can't help that, right? Most times, we can't really control who we are and aren't attracted to. (Attraction can grow or change over time, but that's a whole other topic.)

And if a woman is dating an asshole, well, that means one of two things: either (1) that's just, like, your opinion, man; just because you think somebody is an asshole doesn't mean other people feel the same; OR he is, actually, objectively an asshole (abusive, unfaithful, whatever), in which case yes she has a problem and is in a relationship she should get out of but "instead of you" has nothing to do with it, and if you're such a goddamn nice guy, then how come you're framing her bad situation in terms of its impact on your ego?

And while women who hate men can be incredibly unpleasant to talk to, in my experience most of them at least have an understandable reason for why they're angry.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Also "Women want guys who treat them like shit rough" is one of those pervasive memetic stereotypes that maybe has some basis in that, yes, there is a non-zero number of women like that, but THIS IS A SMALL, MAYBE EVEN TINY MINORITY, YOU DUMMIES.

"Nice Guys" fall into that trap so readily because it's easy to believe if your entire experience of women comes through media - movies, books, whatever, which will inherently be biased towards personality types that create drama or conflict (books and stories and such also feature more heroic types than real life too - what a crazy mixed-up world!) - instead of, you know, actually talking to (and listening to) actual ordinary human beings who are, amazingly, not all crazy like that.

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:04 pm

There's a lot of reasons why a person might start to think the entire opposite sex is all bad. Some are more or less common. They are all pretty retarded. It doesn't take very much critical thought to realize that a belief of ALL WOMEN/MEN ARE WRONG cannot possibly be true and the problem must lie elsewhere. The thing is, the only other possible place the problem of constant rejection or whatever can lie is in the self. Hence, the ego thing.
ImageImageImage

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Absolutely.

The reason I brought up that particular one is that "Women like Bad Guys." is a narrative that gives Nice Guys a perfect, ready-made explanation that simultaneously confirms that they're a "Nice Guy" while also very conveniently answering the question of "Why can't I get a date?", in a way that completely absolves them from any blame. It's almost a perfect rationalization, kind of like "The Jews are stealing all the money" or "Mexicans took your job."

----

One of my friends also had an interesting comment. The subject of Nice Guys came up in conversation last week (when he was letting me know our mutual friend is one) and his way of looking at it was "Good guys will do things for others because they're just, well, good guys. Nice Guys do things for others and expect something for it."

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:08 am

Friday wrote:The thing is, the only other possible place the problem of constant rejection or whatever can lie is in the self.

Well, or just plain random chance. Sometimes you just don't meet the right person at the right time. Sometimes you wind up living in a place where it's hard to meet people who share your interests. Sometimes you really do just have a big swollen zit right in the middle of your face.

Introspection and self-improvement are good things, but sometimes having bad luck trying to meet somebody really is just bad luck. No sense assigning blame -- to yourself or anybody else -- if it's nobody's fault.

François

Postby François » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:25 am

Right! I keep seeing something that happens when relationships break down or fail to start, and that's someone trying to determine who's the villain. A lot of people just don't seem to realize it's possible that two sensible, intelligent, reasonably virtuous humans might not be a good romantic fit for one another for entirely legitimate, non-asshole reasons.