State of the Brontos

Grath

Re: State of the Brontos

Postby Grath » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:06 pm

I don't have the time to watch an episode or two of a TV show between pages on the forums anymore. Everything is ruined.

Lady

Postby Lady » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Hey Mothra, I got an email saying there was an update for phpbb3; want to see if auto update breaks it on *nix? 8D

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Sure, what's the worst that could possibly happen?

beatbandito wrote:I do get rando logouts still, but regularly check from at least two devices.

On a better note lately the worst slowdown times are what used to be my best load times. And during certain windows I'm getting pretty much immediate response.

Noted. If it's not the server, it's gotta be the forum itself, I guess. That at least narrows it down.

Cait

Postby Cait » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:18 am

Yeah, I'm still getting random logouts regularly just from trying to open two board tabs at once.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:36 pm

That was before the update.

I'm fine now.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:22 pm

I'm still getting logged out once a day.

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:33 am

I was previously having to log in consistently each time I switched devices (home desktop, work desktop (not saved), phone). That is no longer happening.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Can we get the "return to [board]" to show up in very thin (ie phone in portrait layout) windows? That's when it would be the most use to me, and that's exactly when it doesn't show up.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:15 am

The cutoff point on desktop seems to be a browser window 464 pixels wide, but the cutoff on phones seems unrelated to that - my phone in portrait doesn't show the button with 1440 horizontal pixels. I thought it might be related to DPI and inches or something, but my phone in landscape does show the button, and is thinner than 464 pixels is on either of my monitors. So! I can contribute nothing to figuring out what's wrong. Have fun!

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Grath wrote:Can we get the "return to [board]" to show up in very thin (ie phone in portrait layout) windows? That's when it would be the most use to me, and that's exactly when it doesn't show up.

TA wrote:The cutoff point on desktop seems to be a browser window 464 pixels wide, but the cutoff on phones seems unrelated to that - my phone in portrait doesn't show the button with 1440 horizontal pixels. I thought it might be related to DPI and inches or something, but my phone in landscape does show the button, and is thinner than 464 pixels is on either of my monitors. So! I can contribute nothing to figuring out what's wrong. Have fun!

Yeah, this theme has a different style sheet for desktop, tablet, and mobile, that it shifts between as the window is resized.

I'll see if I can figure out how to add that button into the mobile without it fucking up the formatting.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:31 pm

I can't access my webspace anymore entirely.

Lady

Postby Lady » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:23 pm

now she can.

So no one's found anything they missed off the old servers? I'll do one last (incremental) backup and prolly say goodnight this month.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Uh, I don't need to transfer my stuff, do I? I haven't updated my site in some time, so no changes, but last time you shuffled our stuff to the new servers. Do I need to download and reupload?

Lady

Postby Lady » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:53 pm

Nah, you're fine; it was more of a 'if anything is missing from late march/early april, then I'm not surprised'

actually I think I need to update your db info. I'll send you a pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Well, my whole site's gone at the moment, but I'll check out your PM.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed May 11, 2016 2:54 am

Just an update: Automated emails were down, apparently since the recent server change, but Lady and I got it sorted out again. Registrations and password resets are fine as of last weekend.

Lady

Postby Lady » Mon May 16, 2016 10:04 pm

old site will still be accessible through the end of this month, after which it will expire. Not that it seems to matter at this point.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon May 16, 2016 10:57 pm

Just going to put up a question here instead of PMing Lady because this might be something easy that Thad or Brent someone knows the answer to. Well, actually it's two problems.

Okay, database has been moved. I can go in the FTP and see my data - all the data files are there.

I can manually enter http://mongrel.brontoforum.us/ and go to the site. The Portfolio page doesn't work, presumably because my MySQL table is missing or in the wrong folder somewhere. Is this the stuff which is on the old host? We've tried various things (mostly the new usernames Lady PM'd me) as alternate urls and none of them brought the site up.

My domain registrar, Dreamhost, has the simplest possible setup - the url is simply set to redirect to http://mongrel.brontoforum.us/ HOW-SO-EVER, when you go to framsonstudios.com... it fails to connect. Even though you can MANUALLY type http://mongrel.brontoforum.us/ and go to the site, sans portfolio page.

SO WTF, I have no idea what's broken and neither does my brother. Not sure if the old MySQL table needs to be fished out of whatever dumpster it's in before the old host expires or if it was actually carried over and we just need to fix something. Either way we're still not sure why the redirect doesn't work.

EDIT: Hold on, my brother thinks he figured it out... stand by for post deletion...

EDIT2: Nooope. No clue what the hell's going on. Also, Lady, we can't login to the MySQL database using the info from your most recent PM to me. :/

TL;DR, the question I need to answer so far boil down to:

1) What URL should be used to load the website on the current host.
2) how to connect to MySQL now because the updated info results in HeidiSQL giving off the following error: PLink exited unexpected. Command line was: D:\HeidiSQL\plugins\plink.exe -ssh brontofo_Mongrel@ssh.brontoforum.us -pw "******" -P 22 -N -L 22:localhost:3306

Hmmm, maybe these really are just questions for Lady.

Lady

Postby Lady » Wed May 18, 2016 2:11 am

1) I whoised your domain. It expired the end of March (whois.sc). You need to renew it ASAP, lest some domain hijacker gets you.

2) You won't be able to connect to the mySQL database from your side, I mean for one, localhost implies that it's on the same machine as you, and for another, it's firewalled to only accept connections that originate from the server. (don't worry, I tried it too)

3) try using "localhost" instead of "127.0.0.1".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 18, 2016 11:53 am

1) Oh fuck me. I had it on automatic credit card renewal. Except Dreamhost doesn't seem to think so, so now they want $100 to "redeem" it. Guess I fucked up as usual.

Great, well, I guess I'm fucked now. I can't swing that. Not for something that's generated 0 revenue and which has fuck all no one looking at it.

Not sure what I'm going to do now. Pick a different URL, I guess. Fuck me.