Welcome to phpBB3

sei

Re: Welcome to phpBB3

Postby sei » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:50 pm

Thad wrote:And speaking of not being needed: man, we haven't even had any drama or trolling on the politics board. GJ, guys. I dunno if this is just the honeymoon period or if we've started growing up or what.
That's good, but it'd be nice to have less of a monoculture. I'm not saying we need drama and trolling, but not much happens when everyone sits around silently agreeing with one another, which is what I've found myself doing.

François

Postby François » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 pm

That sounds like something an asshole would say.

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:09 pm

I silently disagree.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Classic wrote:I silently disagree.

I LOUDLY DISAGREE.

François

Postby François » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:20 pm

YOU GUYS ARE TEARING THIS FAMILY APART

IT'S LIKE I CAN'T SAY SEI IS AN ASSHOLE WITHOUT SOMEONE JUMPING DOWN MY THROAT ABOUT IT

EFFING WHITE KNIGHTS

good job brosephs keep it up

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:01 pm

sei wrote:That's good, but it'd be nice to have less of a monoculture. I'm not saying we need drama and trolling, but not much happens when everyone sits around silently agreeing with one another, which is what I've found myself doing.

The trouble is that we've seldom had an actual good contrarian. Clutch is really the only guy who I routinely disagreed with but respected as a debate partner. Aside from him, the dissenters have mostly been either trolls or those once-in-awhile occasions where Constantine and TA are a little bit to the left of everybody else.

I assume we'd have better debate if we had more new people. Which kinda takes us back to the ol' "How do we get more new people?" question. The simple answer to which is "Have somebody who's the same kind of minor Internet celebrity Sharkey was circa 2002." So if you know any, we can try that.

Classic

Postby Classic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:31 pm

I thought we still had sharkey/kayin.
The problem is they don't really campaign for the destruction of the brontoforum ecosystem.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 am

I can post more nudes with the bronto logo strategically placed and tell people they have to join the forum to see the rest.

I can do this for you guys. Just say the word.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:24 am

Word.

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:55 am

Wait.
Nudes of who?
Am I expected to take of?

EDIT:
In Classic has brain problems territory:
I don't think I'm ready for my close-up with a month or so of being absolutely lazy.
Unless you got people into hairy potatoes.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:01 am

Classic wrote:I thought we still had sharkey/kayin.
The problem is they don't really campaign for the destruction of the brontoforum ecosystem.

Apparently Kayin has almost completely migrated over to Talking Time.

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:32 am

Classic wrote:Wait.
Nudes of who?

EDIT:
In Classic has brain problems territory:
I don't think I'm ready for my close-up with a month or so of being absolutely lazy.
Unless you got people into hairy potatoes.

I was volunteering myself, obviously.

Who could resist clicking on a naked picture of me with a censor consisting of a fictional extinct lizard monster?

sei

Postby sei » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:06 am

Thad wrote:
sei wrote:That's good, but it'd be nice to have less of a monoculture. I'm not saying we need drama and trolling, but not much happens when everyone sits around silently agreeing with one another, which is what I've found myself doing.

The trouble is that we've seldom had an actual good contrarian. Clutch is really the only guy who I routinely disagreed with but respected as a debate partner. Aside from him, the dissenters have mostly been either trolls or those once-in-awhile occasions where Constantine and TA are a little bit to the left of everybody else.

I assume we'd have better debate if we had more new people. Which kinda takes us back to the ol' "How do we get more new people?" question. The simple answer to which is "Have somebody who's the same kind of minor Internet celebrity Sharkey was circa 2002." So if you know any, we can try that.

Clutch was someone I had in mind when writing the post and I was tempted to mention him in it.

As far as the celebrity bit goes, between Kayin and Zara, people are familiar with the work of some of our members. This isn't necessarily home base for their projects, though. Kayin's people will probably filter into his blog. Zara's are on, um...Steam forums? I don't even know.

If we wanted new people, instead of just doing the pyolympics, Brontoforum.us could have our most bombastic postersambassadors (Doom, Niku, ???) have some sort of cross-forum competition instead.

In the end, I don't think any of us are invested in the forum in such a way that we have the impetus to change things, or else it'd already have happened.

Not entirely unlike an MMO, it's a lot easier to just set up personal camp elsewhere than to drag the community along with you.

Just as an example. I imagine a lot of us already have our Hacker News interests covered by Hacker News, so posting things topical to HN over here doesn't do a lot. So, we read HN/reddit/slashdot (r.i.p.) in addition at best, instead at worst.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:50 am

Classic wrote:Wait.
Nudes of who?

...for world peace.

sei wrote:ambassadors (Doom, Niku, ???)

We might want to pick people who still post here themselves. Niku's sort of around, but Doom couldn't even be arsed to post in the thread he started.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:59 am

Dragon Queen wrote:

Ahahaha no he doesn't even look at Talking Time anymore either. He probably will peak back in for Dark Souls 2 though.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:06 am

Smiler wrote:
Dragon Queen wrote:

Ahahaha no he doesn't even look at Talking Time anymore either. He probably will peak back in for Dark Souls 2 though.

I keep expecting TT to explode into board-destroying drama, but everyone always just quietly stops posting instead.

It's probably the one situation where board-destroying drama would probably be the healthier option, in the long run.

Niku

Postby Niku » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Even Parish has washed his hands of Talking Time.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:00 pm

We're generally considered the negaverse Talking Time, but maybe we could rope some of their disillusioned former users into posting here.

Not sure how, given that it's not like they don't know about us already, but given the existing cross-pollination it may be the best option to get our activity up.

Classic

Postby Classic » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:17 pm

So now that Talking Time is a noxious pit of whatever it is, we're the de-facto nice nerds?
Maybe we don't want those Talking Timers in our fabulous gated community.

EDIT:
The joke here, for anyone who doesn't remember: I'm the one who's always "give the noobs some love" or "give this known asshole who's a pain in the ass to moderate another chance because I don't have to moderate them".

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Don't some of them sort of shuffle our way in periodic refugee waves, only to reluctantly slink back "home" once things calm down?