Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Rico

Re: Unforgivable Sins of UI Design

Postby Rico » Sat May 21, 2016 11:34 pm

Any time a game doesn't read the master volume settings until after the fucking logo blasts.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun May 22, 2016 4:36 am

ohai Dark Souls

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Anybody know any browser extensions that just replace every single instance of "position: fixed" with "position: static"? Ideally for mobile Firefox?

This shit where sites want to overlay garbage all over my screen until I can only read two lines of an article at a time is the worst web design trend I've seen in years.

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

The fonts in the Dragon Quest mobile ports.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:44 pm

This is IRL shit rather than computer-land stuff, but man, this one drives me nuts.

Who the fuck ever "designed" the door light switch on our fridge needs to die in a goddamn fire:

YES, JUST PUT IT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE WHERE EVERYONE REACHES FOR STUFF ALL THE TIME. ALSO MAKE SURE IT HAS A HARD-EDGED LIP INSTEAD OF ROUNDED EDGES OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT MIGHT MAKE IT SLIGHTLY LESS DANGEROUS. YES, THAT'S BRILLANT, YOU STUPID FUCKING KNOB, AND WILL IN NO WAY LEAD TO USERS OF THE FRIDGE CONSTANTLY TEARING THEIR HANDS OPEN ANYTIME THEY WANTED A DRINK AND FORGET ABOUT THE FUCKING FINGER-EATING BOOBY TRAP YOU ADDED.

Promote that engineer! Promote them right into the business end of a fucking piledriver.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:18 pm

Starr plays a particular trashy vidja game quite a bit (Wizard 101, if that matters). It's an FTP you can both subscribe to and make in-game purchases (she's never subscribed but has made purchases here and there over the years).

They recently started nagging people with regular pop-ups that open a browser window trying to browbeat you into getting a subscription. The best part about this is if your default browser isn't IE, the game then crashes.

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Mongrel wrote:Starr plays a particular trashy vidja game quite a bit (Wizard 101, if that matters). It's an FTP you can both subscribe to and make in-game purchases (she's never subscribed but has made purchases here and there over the years).

They recently started nagging people with regular pop-ups that open a browser window trying to browbeat you into getting a subscription. The best part about this is if your default browser isn't IE, the game then crashes.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 pm

Sounds like a quick way to lose your entire player base.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:14 am

Well, it's mostly kids (the game's "family friendly" status is actually a core selling point for them). I mean, that doesn't even come come to being the worst thing they've ever done.

It's a garbage MMO run by complete scumbags. It's not quite old Zynga/AsianLotteryMMO bad, but it's certainly down there.

Starr plays it somewhat because it has cute pets (Hey, I knew I was marrying a cat lady a decade ago), somewhat because it's one of the only MMOs with turn-based/card deck-based combat out there (seriously, those are rare as anything), somewhat because she still knows many people who play, and mainly out of out of habit (it was... less... bad in the past).

sei

Postby sei » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:31 am

Mongrel wrote:This is IRL shit rather than computer-land stuff, but man, this one drives me nuts.

Who the fuck ever "designed" the door light switch on our fridge needs to die in a goddamn fire:

YES, JUST PUT IT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE WHERE EVERYONE REACHES FOR STUFF ALL THE TIME. ALSO MAKE SURE IT HAS A HARD-EDGED LIP INSTEAD OF ROUNDED EDGES OR ANYTHING ELSE THAT MIGHT MAKE IT SLIGHTLY LESS DANGEROUS. YES, THAT'S BRILLANT, YOU STUPID FUCKING KNOB, AND WILL IN NO WAY LEAD TO USERS OF THE FRIDGE CONSTANTLY TEARING THEIR HANDS OPEN ANYTIME THEY WANTED A DRINK AND FORGET ABOUT THE FUCKING FINGER-EATING BOOBY TRAP YOU ADDED.

Promote that engineer! Promote them right into the business end of a fucking piledriver.

Slap sugru or some shit on the edge so it's no longer hard and sharp?

sei

Postby sei » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:22 am

Thad wrote:Anybody know any browser extensions that just replace every single instance of "position: fixed" with "position: static"? Ideally for mobile Firefox?

This shit where sites want to overlay garbage all over my screen until I can only read two lines of an article at a time is the worst web design trend I've seen in years.

Stylish rule not constrained to a domain? Maybe?

Do you not have the ability to hide arbitrary elements using ublock origin or equivalent?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:57 am

sei wrote:Slap sugru or some shit on the edge so it's no longer hard and sharp?

Hm... I wonder if it would cure the same while inside a fridge though?

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:10 am

sei wrote:Do you not have the ability to hide arbitrary elements using ublock origin or equivalent?

Hadn't tried ublock origin; I'll give it a shot. I've always used Adblock Plus on the desktop, and I'd been using it on mobile and noticing that the mobile version does not work very well.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:34 pm

Manual for new motherboard has diagram of motherboard on one page and the legend that tells you what everything is on the back side of the same fucking page.

The page facing the diagram is blank.

Meanwhile, the power supply's motherboard power cable is too short to reach my motherboard. I cannot help noticing that the company that made the power supply also sells an extension cable for roughly 40% of the cost of the fucking power supply.

Guess I'm going to goddamn Fry's. And taking two stars off my review of that PS.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:49 am

Yay, migrating websites this weekend.

I just had the new site's Plesk panel reject a database password that was a 256-bit hexadecimal string as too weak because it didn't have any fucking uppercase letters.

P@55w0rd, on the other hand, was deemed acceptable, because of course it fucking was. Just look how fucking secure that password is. It's got an uppercase letter in it and everything.

(Also, fairly annoying when you've got to migrate a website and you discover that Filezilla crashes every time you connect to it. On the plus side, ncftp appears to have fixed its -R flag so that it will recursively download the entire site instead of only going one level down.)

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:06 pm

Thought we had a 'good UI' thread but I can't find it.

If I pause music in my car then later forget and try to turn up the volume it unpauses and I need that on everything.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:25 am

You know, my biggest gripe with InputManager was always that when I turned my controller off and plugged it back into the computer, the light on the back turned a sensible, muted color while it charged and then eventually went out. I'm glad the new version fixed that problem so now it pulses blue all fucking night long instead. And even if you quit out of InputManager, it sets the damn light to solid bright white for some reason and you have to actually unplug it and reconnect it to make it stop.

I am hoping that there are settings to turn this behavior off somewhere, but I generally don't look for them when I stumble out of bed in the middle of the night because there is a pulsing blue light in my living room.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:12 am

In my experience with ps4 controllers, your best bet may be in setting the color to black instead of any luminosity options.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:14 pm

Oh man, this one's about as cardinal a UI sin as you can get.

I have a 3D mesh editing tool where, if you use the move command, confirming the move by clicking the OK button with your mouse works fine, but if you hit the Enter key it distorts and irretrievably corrupts your work in progress.

Like... are you fucking kidding me? REALLY?

Hoooly shit has this ever wasted so much of my time.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 pm

My new favorite work error that I get a couple times a week:
"The contents of fields in 0 record(s) were deleted, and 0 record(s) were lost due to key violations.
Do you want to proceed anyway?"