Computerus

Thad

Re: Computerus

Postby Thad » Sun May 29, 2016 2:22 am

I did a bit of reading and apparently the bulging battery can be caused by overcharging -- you shouldn't leave your laptop plugged in all the time, which is exactly what I mostly do with mine. I'll try not to do that in the future.

And then I remembered I've got another laptop that I use even less that I also leave plugged in all the time, so I went and unplugged it too.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun May 29, 2016 2:48 pm

If it's bulging because it's overcharged, it should shrink down back to normal size as you drain the power out of it.

It just makes sense.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:16 am

Many types of D-sub connectors are still commonplace. I can drive a few miles to buy DB-9 and DB-25 components, and I could get 15 and 37 pin parts overnight.

19 pin takes more work.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:41 pm

Alright, I dunno if anyone can manage, but would one of you be able to help my brother (and I) figure out why on earth we cannot get my portfolio to display properly on my website hosted on my Brontospace.

My brother has narrowed it down to about four lines of code (and he's checked his syntax over and over and over), but is hampered by the fact that neither he nor I really understand what's different between the last host and this one (and since the page broke without any coding changes being made, we have to assume that *something* changed) and we have no way of accessing the SQL database to actually look at it, which, if I understand what Lady said, is something she cannot do either.

I can PM anyone the deets. Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated because we just can't get this figured out.

Kayma

Postby Kayma » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:10 pm

I have no clue what that code is doing. Looks like you're always pulling the latest jQuery though, maybe a new version broke the code?
Is this stuff even DB dependent, and if not, does it work locally?
Anything goofy with file permissions?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:14 pm

Hahah, Andrew finally figured it out while giving me information to post here (by the way, the page you saw earlier today wouldn't have given you the proper code if you were just viewing the source code in your browser, because that was a blank page up as a placeholder).

He knew the culprit was in here:
$query = $db->query ("SELECT loc, title, descrip FROM portfolio WHERE type=0 ORDER BY time DESC");
$row = [];

while($tempRow = $query->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC)) {
$row[] = $tempRow;
}

He just figured out it was the bit after "while("

We still have no way of directly accessing the SQL database, but I guess as long as we don't need to change it, we're good?

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:04 pm

So I'm not sure if it would go here or the Deals thread, but: My current headset (Logitech G430) is gradually breaking - the hinge broke once, I repaired, and then another part of the hinge is breaking now.

I'm thus in the market for a new headset soon, budget is negotiable but I don't want to spend much more than a couple hundred - I've got mild hearing loss and so super-expensive audiophile headset would probably be a waste of money. I'd like a decent-to-good microphone and reasonably good sound quality, preferably with really solid construction.

Rico

Postby Rico » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Depending on what you're using it for you will likely be better off getting a separate desktop mic and headphones. Takes several of the common failure points out of headsets. The Blue Snowball is everyone's favorite cheaper mic, and then you have the flexibility to get the style of headphone you like.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Getting a 1080 for an acceptable price is hard. Which is weird, I thought it would be fine when the manufacturers came out with their own spin on the founders.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

sei

Postby sei » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:09 pm

...Haven't current-gen *80 nVidia cards always been a $500+ proposition?

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:32 pm

Oh, of course. I was expecting to pay the MSRP of $600. Not the $800-1000 that the insane demand has pushed them up to, and even those ones being out of stock.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 am

Trying to work out in the mornings again. I'm finding that I can't easily stream video from my HTPC to my tablet anymore; it keeps cutting out every 1-5 minutes. It used to work fine.

Things I've eliminated as possible causes:
It's not Kodi or UPnP, because it also happens over ES File Explorer and SMB.

Things it could be (or, what's changed since it was working?):
An update to Windows 10 could have fucked shit up
A change in my tablet's firmware could have fucked shit up (I can test this out by trying with my phone; I'll plan on doing that soon)
A change in my router's firmware could have fucked shit up

It could just be a weak wireless signal or interference. (Could try switching the channel on my router. But I'm planning on building a new router this weekend anyway. So if it still happens after I build the new router, I can try switching the channel on the WAP I'm installing.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:36 am

Phone seems to have the same issue, so I can eliminate the tablet as the cause.

I suspect I'm getting a shitty wireless signal out there now. Switching the channel to 11 seemed to help in that the video went longer before cutting out, but it didn't fix it.

Planning on setting up a new WAP tomorrow; will see if that helps.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:48 am

The good news is Plasma's stopped crashing.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:05 am

The bad news is I've gone and hosed my fileserver. I should have given it more than 200MB for a /boot partition when I set it up. 200MB should fucking-well be enough, but it isn't.

It's an old Mac Pro so it doesn't want to boot a live distribution from a memory stick. And for some reason it won't boot the Ubuntu livedisc that it used to boot. (It's not the disc; I tried burning a new copy and it won't boot from that either.)

I know we've got an external optical drive around here somewhere. I don't know if the computer will boot from a USB disc drive if it won't boot from a USB memory stick, but it's worth a shot.

Even if I can boot it, I have to figure out a way to resize the first partition. It's a lot easier to resize partitions at the end of a disk than the beginning.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:20 pm

Firefox 48 has landed, and with it another pointless disruption of the way the URL bar works. Anyone know how I can revert it to the behavior and appearance of Firefox 47?

patito

Postby patito » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:05 pm

I still use classic theme restorer so my firefox looks really old, not specifically firefox 47 old though.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:08 am

Yeah, I use that too. It's the only way to properly minimize the address bar the way I like to the most efficient size without actually hiding it.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Yeah, I'm on Classic Theme Restorer too. I just mean specifically when you start typing something into the url bar, that changed with this update and I hate it.

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:26 am

TA wrote:Firefox 48 has landed, and with it another pointless disruption of the way the URL bar works. Anyone know how I can revert it to the behavior and appearance of Firefox 47?

Yeah, didn't we just play this game?

Unfortunately the upstream bugs rapidly turned into angry Reddit comment sections, and so not only is there no about:config fix this time, the developers that made the change are digging in their heels out of irritation. Here's hoping that cools down enough for second thoughts by 49, at least; it's immediately made it clear how many sites I rarely visit the top-level pages for, and how much Firefox now thinks I should.