Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Z%rø

Re: Hey [%target] Whatcha Playin'?

Postby Z%rø » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:55 pm

I think Stellaris is going to be one of those games where I'm happy with what I got for my money, but it's really going to be something special a year or two down the road when it's really matured with content and mods.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:53 pm

Okay, I'm looking for a rather weird widget/app to use to guide some game stuff and I dunno if anyone has any suggestions or ideas?

Basically, I need random natural disasters to occur in a game. I can do everything myself by just rolling dice and using a table for the who/how/why/where stuff, but because I'm playing I can't just decide "Disaster now!", I can't pre-roll an interval because I'd still have to look at the result and know when it's coming, and I don't want to be constantly rolling long-shot chances.

What I need is a program I can run off my PC which will just sound a brief alarm or some clearly audible noise (since other stuff will fill the screen, reference spreadsheets, game software, etc.), which I can then use as a prompt to go use the table to figure out the what/where/who stuff. The random interval should be anywhere from maybe 20 minutes to maybe 50 hours (I'll probably want to tweak it a bit if it's too frequent/infrequent... game time scale is roughly 15:1 game:real life and I want disasters which range in potential interval from a day to a couple months).

Any ideas?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:18 pm

I found this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/a ... blggh0jw0h, which is perfect... but is an app for Windows phones :/

I just need something like this for PC. Problem is that adding 'PC' to search strings for this gives a whole bunch of links to idiots who're getting random alarms because their computer is infected with malware, as well as a few links to sites that *seem* to have something like this, but which may or may not be sketchy as fuck.

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Plowing through all the Dragon Quest games again. 1 and 3 mobile are done, 4 DS is done. Just starting 5 DS. Maybe if I spend enough time grinding optional bosses in 9 it'll last until 7 3DS comes out? Really interested to see what they did to that one.

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:09 pm

Mongrel wrote:I found this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/a ... blggh0jw0h, which is perfect... but is an app for Windows phones :/

I just need something like this for PC. Problem is that adding 'PC' to search strings for this gives a whole bunch of links to idiots who're getting random alarms because their computer is infected with malware, as well as a few links to sites that *seem* to have something like this, but which may or may not be sketchy as fuck.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... imer&hl=en is an Android app that might do what you want? If someone has an Android phone in your group.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:56 pm

Just use this.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Grath wrote:
Mongrel wrote:I found this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/a ... blggh0jw0h, which is perfect... but is an app for Windows phones :/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... imer&hl=en is an Android app that might do what you want? If someone has an Android phone in your group.

There's reasons I don't want to run it separately off a phone, but in any case the only smartphone available is my Blackberry.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:42 pm

A friend suggested this: http://www.fungie.info/bell/#, which should do perfectly.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:16 am

"Son of a FUCK, Deserts of Kharak is hard. Or maybe I just suck? I don't know, but I don't want to hate it, so I better put it down for now."

"Maybe there's an FAQ somewhere... like a TEXT FAQ, please? I don't want to sit through twenty minutes of some guy talking about sand just to talk about sand."

"Nothing? Really? Alright, ending the night on a bad note- wow wow wow, wait. WOW."

Okay, I feel better now. I'm still going to be surrounded by religious lunatics and sketchy allies, but I'm good in the meantime.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Bal

Postby Bal » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:34 am

I played Deserts when it came out and the thing that impressed me the most was how much it still felt like Homeworld. Beautiful game, and a great story that might be even better if you've played Homeworld 1/2, but still has enough surprises to keep it very interesting in its own right.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:55 am

Yeah, Romo saw a little and said the pace looked just like the originals.

I sort of wish I could've played it before the first two; it's sort of a foregone conclusion where we're going and what's going to happen. But it's still managed to surprise me, like the truth behind those wrecks in the Tombs of the Ancients. Back when the game was still being developed as a spiritual sequel, the narrator asks why there were so many wrecked starships on that one planet. I thought it was weird, too, since ships just crashing to the surface would be obliterated. I thought they must've been teleported intact, perhaps by a lost Hyperspace Core, and it turns out I was right.

And I've been more than a little unnerved since I realized what that wall carving in the Gaalsien temple base... looked like. And then the same thing seems to show up on that orbital weapon with the frighteningly familiar paint scheme. Again, the theme of my games these days seems to be Weird Shit Keeps Happening, and I Need Answers NOW. So I guess I need to get less gun-shy with those cruise missiles, get off that damn plateau, and floor it into the Dreamlands.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:03 am

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:36 am

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:40 pm

You can tell exactly where the age divide is right now by who has Pokemon Go! on their phones and who has Miitomo.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:44 pm

So, my having a Backberry with neither confirms that I am well over a thousand years old, correct?

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:49 pm

Calling it a "Backberry" just confirms that you are Mr. Plinkett.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:22 pm

That was actually an unintentional typo :3

Apprently this means that I am still Mr. Plinkett, but out of sheer cluelessness.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:23 pm

I actually never play mobile games in general. I dunno if that's terrible or whatever, but I really hate doing anything computery on a phone.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:26 pm

Mongrel wrote:Apprently this means that I am still Mr. Plinkett, but out of sheer cluelessness.

I'll buy you a pizza roll.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Sold!