Postby Friday » Fri May 20, 2016 11:12 pm

let's be honest Mongrel

only two things come from Texas
ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: The Grand Olde Party will self-consume

Postby Mongrel » Fri May 20, 2016 11:14 pm

You're the third person today to point out that "Well, we know Texas isn't mostly steers" in response to that.

It's nice to see it permanently enshrined. >:)

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: GOP Will Shit Itself

Postby Brantly B. » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:57 am

Realized we're a bit past the topic title, so I've bumped it forward to the next logical step.

It works on several levels.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Thad

Postby Thad » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Once again Colbert proves a decade ahead of the curve.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:38 am

D-did Franklin really wear a straw tricorne like that? I didn't even know they made those out of cheap materials like that.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:47 pm

NYT: Republican platform veers far, far to the right.

they repeatedly rejected efforts by more moderate members of the platform committee to add language that would acknowledge or condemn anti-gay discrimination

Social conservatives in the party exerted significant influence over the drafting and amending of the platform this week, succeeding in almost all of their efforts to add language that pushed the document more to the right.

The platform demands that lawmakers use religion as a guide when legislating, stipulating “that man-made law must be consistent with God-given, natural rights.”

It also encourages the teaching of the Bible in public schools because, the amendment said, a good understanding of its contents is “indispensable for the development of an educated citizenry.”

But nearly every provision that expressed disapproval of homosexuality, same-sex marriage or transgender rights passed.

The platform calls for overturning the Supreme Court marriage decision with a constitutional amendment and makes references to appointing judges “who respect traditional family values.”

Additional provisions included those that promoted state laws to limit which restrooms transgender people could use, nodded to “conversion therapy” for gays by saying that parents should be free to make medical decisions about their children without interference and stated that “natural marriage” between a man and a woman is most likely to result in offspring who do not become drug-addicted or otherwise damaged.

It's only embarrassing if you have any shame!

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:42 pm

And if you give a fuck about the platform.

I'm kinda baffled as to why Bernie spent so much time negotiating on the Democratic party platform. I guess there's not really anything else he could do at this point, but it's all pretty irrelevant. A party platform and a buck-fifty will get you a cup of coffee.

I mean, yeah, it's still embarrassing. But it'll be about as effective as Bush's commitment to banning gay marriage with a constitutional amendment, and Trump's going to give even fewer fucks than Bush did.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:25 am

I think it's not so much about the Presidential nominee or other top-level candidates, but it's certainly signalling for the kind of retrenched backsliders they're encouraging at the lower and middle tiers.

I mean, you can also argue it's not the product of a policy committee dictating a platform from above, as it is the influence of skulkers below in making farcical statements. I.E. it might be a symptom, not a disease. I'm not familiar enough with the GOP's platform creation committee to know how much it's influenced by rank-and-file party candidate/member demands vs. being the product of high-ranking party flacks.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:26 am

Yeah, the GOP platform doesn't mean shit nationally, but it is absolutely were local and state officials take their marching orders.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:53 am

I'm pretty much in the "symptom, not a cause" camp. Republicans would be reactionary bigots with or without saying it outright in their party platform.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Republican Platform wrote:GAYS GAYS GAYS HOLY SHIT WE HATE TEH GAYS SOOOOO MUCH YOU GUYS

I've spent like eight years shipping lesbian WoW toons, and even I don't think about gay people as much as the GOP apparently does.

Do these guys really think they can win on a platform of Bitter White Christians vs Everyone Else? And this is what they came up with after the 2012 autopsy!
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:13 pm

I'm guessing they genuinely think gays are unnatural sinners and not taking a stand against them is immoral. OR, more likely, they don't like the idea of two dudes kissing, and will take any justification they can find to outlaw such horrors.

Being political doesn't factor into it, which I suppose is admirable in a pathetic way.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Or it could be that keeping the narrative focused on that means that the public and media is less likely to see what else is going on.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:37 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/19/politics/sean-spicer-melania-trump-my-little-pony/ wrote:"Melania Trump said, 'the strength of your dreams and willingness to work for them.' Twilight Sparkle from 'My Little Pony' said, 'This is your dream. Anything you can do in your dreams, you can do now,' " Spicer said.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:00 am

via ABC News

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:10 am

is that fanart of twilight sparkle

yep it is

http://godoffury.deviantart.com/art/Twi ... -335272191

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:10 pm

CNN (this is old but still pretty interesting and no less relevant): Dubya: "I'm worried I might be the last Republican President"

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:20 am

So this happened.