Netflix and Kill Me

Thad

Re: Netflix and Kill Me

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:59 am

Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I can kinda see a plausible explanation for the Hop/Hawkins situation.

Hop, after all, is the one who ultimately makes a deal with them -- and presumably keeps it even after all the shit goes down, since we see him talking to a couple of suits at the end when Will's in the hospital.

Could Brenner have foreseen that? Yeah, I don't see why not. Hopper's got a dead daughter and a prior relationship with Joyce; he's got the motivation to help her and the desperation to make a deal with the devil on her behalf. And he may be the single most resourceful character on the show -- he's gotten this far, after all. So I can see why they'd say "Let's let him go and see what he comes up with."

If you push it a little farther, you can even use it to explain another pretty baffling bit of logic: why the Byers house seems to be the only place Hawkins doesn't have under surveillance. Paradoxically, that plays into their hands: by letting Joyce and Hopper (and eventually the rest of the cast) think they're safe there, they ensure that they all eventually walk right into their hands.

Okay, yeah, that last bit is pushing it.

And if any of this was the plan, it should have been alluded to with at least one line of dialogue. "Let him go; let's see what he does." Or "See? I told you he'd come back." Something like that. It's not like they were constrained by running time or anything.

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:22 pm

That's almost exactly what Des said when I was voicing my incredulity. Basically the classic RPG villain "Thanks for gathering the three sacred wingwongs, I never could have done it without your help." But the fact that there's no dialogue or much else to support it makes it straight up fan theory to account for some uncharacteristically sloppy plotting. It's fine with me if that's the only nit to pick in an otherwise tight story.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:10 am

man the last three episodes of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt's first season play some rough chuckles for a show that was mostly slightly prejudiced Two Broke Girls-style humour so far.

Thad wrote:why the Byers house seems to be the only place Hawkins doesn't have under surveillance

well, the Byers house's power grid is connected straight to Pandemonium. Maybe the cameras are there but they just show pictures of hell.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:21 pm

Hey, so I know I missed the whole Adam Sandler discussion but I want to say that if I were a famous super rich movie star who knew my best movies were behind me and didn't give a shit about that, I hope I would be cool enough to rob studios blind making shitty, hallf-assed movies that are less about making a product than just taking my friends on vacation for a couple months.

Like, you can even isolate the exact moment he completely stopped pretending to give a shit: Funny People, which is a deeply personal movie everybody shit on for being deeply personal. Motherfucker can turn in a good performance but realized, as most never do, that they will never really love you.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:34 pm

Yeah, I have no problem with him scamming. I've known he could actually act since Punch Drunk.

The problem I have with him is his humor is degrading to minorities/those with disabilities and also just lazy as fuck, as degrading humor tends to be.
ImageImageImage

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:59 pm

Punch Drunk more like Punch Down.

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:27 am

Friday wrote:Yeah, I have no problem with him scamming. I've known he could actually act since Punch Drunk.

The problem I have with him is his humor is degrading to minorities/those with disabilities and also just lazy as fuck, as degrading humor tends to be.

Yeah, that's fair, and I hope I'd do it with more taste, but nobody wants taste.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:32 pm

punch drunk love more like punch down love amirite

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:29 pm

So I watched the first episode of Stranger Things, and I just want to know one thing: do they ever address who put the phone back on the hook?

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:34 pm

Okay I finished it and I have one other question. When people drive cars in the real world are the cars just moving around driverless in the shadow realm?

Lottel

Postby Lottel » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:13 am

Caithness wrote:Okay I finished it and I have one other question. When people drive cars in the real world are the cars just moving around driverless in the shadow realm?

Since trees are in the Upside Down, I think it may have to do with the speed they are moving? I was trying to find things that poked holes in this idea but the deer was stationary and the people attacked from the monster leaping between worlds weren't moving much.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:50 pm

Thad wrote:
Sharkey wrote:My actual only complaint: "Some cop solid snaked our defenses, incapacitated our guards, broke into the SCP lab, found the portal to Shit Narnia and knows we're experimenting on kids."
"Give him a ride home."

"Hey, boss? Some guy who knows fuckall about anything called in a missing kid report."
"KILL HIM IMMEDIATELY."

Yeah, I know one faked suicide is easy and a bunch will bring in the feds, but holy hell everything about Hopper's personal history and lifestyle screamed suicide/accidental overdose. Try to tell me his coworkers wouldn't have believed it.

I made that exact complaint, yes.

We all just finished episode 8 here and yep, felt exactly the same.

Also, the bit where Jon and Nancy are in the forest and they JUST HAPPEN to so far apart that they're fully out of earshot (despite sticking totally close until that moment) and Nancy just decides to go down the rabbit hole RIGHT THEN was some properly lazy 80's horror movie crap. The kind of moment where the audience is in the theatre going "No! Don't open the door! No! Why are you that stupid!", in a series which otherwise plays things so smart, stands out about as much as Elle does in the black version of the upside-down.

Both those complaints happened in Episode 5. Maybe that was the one just written after the office party or something.

I know it's been renewed for a new season, and kind of wish it had just been a single self-contained season and that they had instead chosen to tell different self-contained stories each season (a la Kolchak or this new Star Trek series or something like that). It's cool that Netflix picked it up so that each episode can be exactly as long as it need to be and isn't a prisoner of commercials, but at the same time, that doesn't give them immunity from the even greater demon, which is TV series having an atrocious habit of either overstaying their welcome out of popularity/demand/money or getting cut short. To say nothing of it potentially just getting run into the ground - really not sure where the story can go from here, since so much hinged on different people picking up different little fragments of information, then them all converging and now they all know. Though the acting and writing IS about as good as anything I can recall, so hopefully it'll still be good.

I guess it's awesome to get something so great, but I just won't be able to shake my paranoia about ongoing series going sour until it's all fully over.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:26 pm

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:27 pm

According to what I've learned, at least part of the next season will be dealing with Barb's disappearance/death, something that didn't seem to get addressed much.

Apparently Barb has quite a fan club, despite having so little screen time and horrible demise. People seem to love her style and attitude, I guess? She's like the Boba Fett of the show.

[edit]
madmaxjr wrote:I'm hoping somewhere there's some 'making of' footage that discusses where they got all this period accurate 80s shit or if they just collectively emptied out the attic/basement of everyone in their 30s/40s until they had enough stuff.

According to some sources I've checked, the biggest issue was the kids' bikes. The parts needed to assemble period-accurate models would have gone into the several thousands of dollars, considering they'd need several copies for stunts and such, and they'd probably have to pry them out of the hands of private colectors. From what I learned, they're basically frankensteined out of pieces of later models enough to be plausible to casual viewers.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:36 pm

Also, the episode titles of Season 2 have already been announced. Given we're so far out, the season 2 final episode's title seems like a deliberate provocation/tease.

EDIT: Theory posting for posterity: Season 2 will deal with the Upside-Down (or its inhabitants) attempting to take over our universe in some way. Also, Elle did not so much destroy the monster as disseminate its spores.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:34 pm

By the way, I keep forgetting to mention it, but it's my headcannon that the actor playing the teacher in Stranger Things is secretly really Bill Watterson.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 pm

So Luke Cage is fantastic, as could be guessed.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:14 am

I have only watched about half of Luke Cage but god damn the music in this fucking show is amazing.

...and that's just in the first 5 episodes.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:28 pm

holy shit

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:19 am

Also, there's approximately one boring white guy in the whole show, so we must be outraged about the lack of representation of white people. In Harlem. You know, all those white people in Harlem. (Okay actually I think it's getting gentrified just like the rest of NYC, but this is apt karma for... the rest of mainstream movies and TV shows?)