Times of minor unpleasantness

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Times of minor unpleasantness

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:00 pm

François wrote:Well, she's trustworthy, she gives good advice, and she deserves to know everything that happens in her household, so if he makes a major purchase without telling her or consulting her then it must be bad.

My brother doesn't even live with her anymore, sadlol.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:47 pm

Mongrel wrote:Not really shitty per se, but I'll put it here anyway.

"Your brother is buying something expensive from the US and he WON'T TELL ME WHAT IT IS! Can you find out if HE'S BUYING A GUN?!?!?!? IS HE going to go on a SHOOTING RAMPAGE?!?!"

"You're legitimately offending me here mom, Jesus fucking Christ."

Like holy crap, my brother is a normal person (insofar as anyone with our upbringing can be normal). And buys stuff online all the time, I might add, like any normal person. How fucking tone deaf and unaware of your own son's personality do you have to be to think up these ideas... I don't even know anymore.

If you think it would help, tell her that the resident crazed gunman on this internet place said that buying a gun online isn't that simple inside the US, much less anything involving trying to export a gun from the US.

François

Postby François » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:44 pm

Mongrel wrote:My brother doesn't even live with her anymore, sadlol.

Oh cripes, wow, that's, uh, that'll be like extra, yikes. The farther he is, the more room she has for her imagination to run wild.

I keep running into people with at least one parent who goes into raging freakdowns at the slightest hint of a perceived lessening of their control, so by now I'm just basically convinced that shit's super common.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:05 am

Grath wrote:
Mongrel wrote:Not really shitty per se, but I'll put it here anyway.

"Your brother is buying something expensive from the US and he WON'T TELL ME WHAT IT IS! Can you find out if HE'S BUYING A GUN?!?!?!? IS HE going to go on a SHOOTING RAMPAGE?!?!"

"You're legitimately offending me here mom, Jesus fucking Christ."

Like holy crap, my brother is a normal person (insofar as anyone with our upbringing can be normal). And buys stuff online all the time, I might add, like any normal person. How fucking tone deaf and unaware of your own son's personality do you have to be to think up these ideas... I don't even know anymore.

If you think it would help, tell her that the resident crazed gunman on this internet place said that buying a gun online isn't that simple inside the US, much less anything involving trying to export a gun from the US.

It was funny how hard my brain shut down when I tried to consider just how ridiculous the premise of "Buy a gun in the US over the internet and have it mailed to you" was.

I mean, in addition to all the things you would say, I also know about Canadian gun law on top of that.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:21 am

Over the past couple of weeks I've intermittently found myself with an elevated heart rate and some minor chest pains. Not sure what's causing it; I've quit a couple of my meds and cut back to one cup of coffee a day, but I'm still getting them. I guess next thing is diet and exercise. (I haven't wanted to exercise because I've been getting an elevated heart rate and chest pains, but it could be that more exercise would be the best thing to mitigate those symptoms.)

Or maybe I'm stressing out about the damn election. I can't really just tune it out for the next three weeks -- aside from the obvious reasons it's inescapable, I'm not finished researching down-ballot races and initiatives -- but man I'll be glad when it's over.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:06 am

This may sounds cah-razy, but have you seen your doctor about that?

I mean, I'm hoping the answer is "Yes of course." and that I should have just taken that as a given, but I'd like to confirm that anyway.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:25 am

Yeah Thad, get yourself taken care of, hearts are real complicated and it's probably best not to ruin them.

It's feasible that it's stress, if you're super stressed. I started taking a meditation class again, it really does help to just totally mellow out for an hour, even only once a week.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks. No, haven't made it to the doctor yet. I'll call and schedule an appointment if it doesn't get better in the next day or two. (Likeliest outcome of visiting the doctor is he tells me to try all the things I'm already trying. If I get them out of the way first, then I can say "Yeah, already doing all those things; what's the next step?")

Getting out of the house for a couple hours last night seemed to help.

For now I'm going to try hitting the elliptical. Wonder if there's something I can watch on my tablet while I'm doing it that's not about the election.

ETA: I started to pull the elliptical out of the corner and my dog came and told me she wanted to go for a walk, so I did that instead. It was nice. I'd like to do it every morning, but some mornings she decides she does not want to go for a walk, and she just sits there and refuses to move. Today she wanted to go for a walk, so it worked out nicely for everyone.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:45 pm

Mother calls the other day, strongly implies my brother has caught either herpes or AIDS.

Finally get ahold of my brother today. Staph infection.

DAMMIT WOMAN, YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE ME ULCERS.

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:44 am

Mothers exist in this alternate dimension where being afraid and driving a minivan and being afraid and minivan afraid minivan soccer minivan fear fear fear soccer soccer minivan hey did you see this funny bumper sticker on facebook what's your email you never call fear fear fear FEAR FEAR FEAR oh my god I was once on a plane with a celebrity but I can't remember his name AND I WAS CLUTCHING THE ARMRESTS THE WHOLE TIME you're going too fast you're driving too far to the right <YOUR NAME!!!!> *slams hands onto dash*

MOM JESUS FUCK YOU ARE NEVER ALLOWED TO RIDE WITH ME AGAIN AND NO EBOLA ISN'T A SERIOUS THREAT TO THE NATION ARE YOU HIGH
ImageImageImage

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Okay, 3D printer's been running overnight to make an awesome toy for my boy. It's going to be made of that tricky PLA stuff, but it's too pretty at this thickness to pass up. Let's open it up and see ho-

Wait, that's not a captured jack. That looks more like a glitched out raft with a large-huge glob of solid PLA stuck on- no, entombing the extruder nozzle.

It's 10am local. Can I go home now?
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:43 am

Finally made it in to the doctor. She told me I have high blood pressure and gave me some blood pressure meds.

(Believe it or not, I have never had any trouble with my blood pressure prior to now.)

I took one pill and I'm already feeling loads better. Not quite back to normal; I still feel like my pulse is too quick (even though she told me it sounded normal when she listened to it) and my chest feels a little tight, especially if I think about the election. (She also prescribed me some anxiety meds; I haven't picked those up yet but it might be a good idea to keep them handy.)

Still going to try and steer clear of political news/discussion for a little while.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:09 am

Jesus dude, take it easy.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:20 am

Good to hear the annoying/concerning pulse thing is semi-resolved.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:24 am

Mongrel wrote:Jesus dude, take it easy.

Thanks, working on it. I've been playing nothing but Stardew Valley for weeks.*

I went off all my meds to make sure none of them were causing it. (Turns out elevated heart rate and chest pain are side effects of Benadryl. Who knew? But that's probably not what was causing them, seeing as going off Benadryl didn't stop them.) I'm mostly doing pretty okay without them, though I've got a bit of a cough and some congestion.

Walked the dog twice today, one morning and one night. I'm sure that's good for both of us.

And work...well, today at work served as a good reminder of two things:

1) Focusing on finding a clever solution to an interesting problem is the best possible way to get your mind off everything else.

2) But once you find the solution and the rest of the implementation comes down to rewriting, copying, and pasting some 125 lines of HTML into 125 lines each of HTML and CSS, that is exactly the kind of boring, repetitive, menial task that is terrible at preventing your mind from wandering.

I'm hanging in there; doesn't look like anything too serious. Though like I said, I don't feel like I'm back at 100% yet. Hopefully that'll come as I start getting the blood pressure meds into my system on the regular; the doc wants me back in a week or two.

* Not entirely true; I played some NSMB2 with my nephew the other weekend and got him to try Contra. I think I also busted out DQ7 once. But *mostly* Stardew Valley. Steam says I've played 25 hours, though that includes at least a couple times I left the game on pause while I went and did some laundry.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:55 pm

The landlord of our building is pretty unashamedly a slumlord. Now the last two years or so we've actually had a pretty good building super, since he was a longtime tenant and so are is parents (the previous supers were shit). Well, the landlord ran him into the ground so bad that he's quitting. Fun fun fun!

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:01 pm

I keep seeing U-M crime reports being emailed out today, that are all hate crimes. This last one was:
Offense: Ethnic Intimidation

Summary: As told to the Ann Arbor Police, a student pedestrian was approached by two men, who yelled at her about being in America, made reference to religion and then pushed her down a hill.

Maybe I'm just overwrought today, but I just keep breaking into tears that this is what my world is / is becoming.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:54 pm

Ugh... sorry you have to see this shit, Silver.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:46 am

I'm still having a hard time plugging back into news and politics, and stuff like this is a good reason why.

I have hope that we'll get through this, but man, shit's gonna be bad for awhile, and there's no way around that.

But people are strong. People endure. Even the darkest time and the hardest tragedy can be channeled into something positive.

Here's a good piece to Rana Sodhi, a Sikh whose two brothers were murdered, one (infamously) as the first person to be killed in a post-9/11 hate crime: Love: The best tool for combating hate

I don't know what there is I can do, other than rest up, try and get to a point where I can channel my dismay into something positive, rage donate, and call out bigotry where I see or hear it (hasn't happened lately, but a simple "Hey, come on, man" is sometimes all it takes to get somebody to rethink what they've just said and stammer out a sheepish apology).

Best of luck to anyone whose community is affected by this horrible, xenophobic sentiment (which, off the top of my head, is probably everybody in the UK and US at this point). Do what you can, be safe, take care of yourself, and try to give aid and comfort to your neighbors where possible.

This country's made it through slavery, the Trail of Tears, the Civil War, two World Wars with a Depression in between, Jim Crow, Vietnam, 9/11, Iraq, Katrina...I think we'll make it through this too. We just have to help each other out, in whatever ways are available to us.

If any of you guys ever need anything and there's any way I might be able to help, let me know.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Thank you, Thad.

It helps to remember that you guys are all pretty great, there are good people all over. We just have to take care of each other.
I've been more panic-donating than rage-donating, but yeah I'm with you there.