Times of minor unpleasantness

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Times of minor unpleasantness

Postby Mongrel » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:06 pm

Had another depressing realization today.

I know a fair number of cackling angry leftists who've never stopped going on about how Obama and Hillary would have still be murdering people, America is a dirty imperial dog power etc. etc.

And the thing is, I have agreed with that sentiment, to a point. I mean even on here I caught a little mild flak about refusing to endorse Obama because of his support for the opaque security-intelligence state, extrajudicial state murder, existing deportation programs, etc.

But like, there is a limit. I am not actually an insane morally-equivocating accelerationist asshole (I hope) and can actually make some sort of distinction between the modern US under Obama and, say Stalinist Russia. I'm not running around telling people that voting is meaningless or other cockeyed nonsense. Like yeah, the house needed some fixing up if it was going to continue to be livable, but I'm never going to be the guy who figures burning it to the ground will make things better. Or who, maybe didn't plan to set the house on fire, but who will still stand around and laugh while other people run and get water.

Anyway, these cacklers have been having a grand time making fun of "liberal sadness" in the wake of Trump's win. Talking about how this continues to show how out of touch the elites are, and blah blah blah... and to be fair some of the stuff coming out of the "Sad elites" really is laughable.

Yet funny enough, these were the same types who only weeks ago were expounding about anti-bullying measures and how no person has the right to decide how another feels and all that (this is not me being critical of those ideas, by the way).

I mean, sure the internet and all of human civilization is pretty much built on rationalization and intellectual dishonesty but I sure feel for TA right now because shit like this makes me want to crack skulls too. Goddamn.

It's like... imagine if you knew someone who's mom died. Only, their mom actually died ten years ago and they've been denying it for years. So now they finally figured out their mom is dead and maybe she's been dead for a decade and the enormity of that makes it even worse. And their friends, who are nominally supposed to be in their side, just laugh at them ha ha stupid, you're a stupid, and now you finally get that you're a stupid. I've been telling you all along your mom is dead and you just wouldn't listen. ha ha ha. Holy shit fuck these shitty people.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 pm

The most disheartening thing to realize about human beings is that nobody is above the tragedy-is-when-I-cut-my-finger rule.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:05 am

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:20 am

Mongrel wrote:I know a fair number of cackling angry leftists who've never stopped going on about how Obama and Hillary would have still be murdering people, America is a dirty imperial dog power etc. etc.

And the thing is, I have agreed with that sentiment, to a point. I mean even on here I caught a little mild flak about refusing to endorse Obama because of his support for the opaque security-intelligence state, extrajudicial state murder, existing deportation programs, etc.

Truth is, America has never elected peaceniks. What it does is alternate between dudes that are proud of being military warheads and dudes that aren't but are still willing to oversee a lot of shit.

Mongrel wrote:Anyway, these cacklers have been having a grand time making fun of "liberal sadness" in the wake of Trump's win. Talking about how this continues to show how out of touch the elites are, and blah blah blah...

Trumpers think the left is sad because the left lost the election, when the left is sad because they know exactly what is going to happen in the next four years. At least Bush Jr. left the distinct hope you could just mutter angrily in a corner for a few years and things would still be where you left them when you came back.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:45 am

zaratustra wrote:Truth is, America has never elected peaceniks. What it does is alternate between dudes that are proud of being military warheads and dudes that aren't but are still willing to oversee a lot of shit.

Coolidge was a reprehensible human being and a terrible President, but he was about as anti-war as they come.

Course, it probably says something that to come up with an example I had to go back 90 years, to a guy who wasn't elected President his first term, and who was basically a piece of shit in every other way besides his views on war.

Christ, even Carter armed the mujahideen.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:47 pm

You know, Coolidge has always been a joke to most, but I have to say I learned a little more recently that he was pretty unambiguously in favour of civil rights and racial equality in an era not exactly known for that sort of thing, both in terms of engagement, speaking out publicly, and in actual legislative measures.

He's still pretty awful when taken overall, and most of what he attempted to actually do re: civil rights via legislation was filibustered by Southern Democrats at the time, but credit where it's due.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:34 am

Yesterday morning I started to shave and it didn't feel right; there was no friction. I looked over and saw that the blade was still sitting on the bathroom counter in its wrapper; I had cleaned and assembled the handle and forgotten to put a razor in it.

I went to pick up the razor but my fingers were slippery; I couldn't get a firm grip on the edges and instead it cut right through its wrapper and gashed me under my fingernail. Nothing serious, but you know how it fucking stings when you've got a cut under your fingernail.

This is the first time I've tried typing since, and I am discovering that it hurts to type. So I think I'm going to go do something else that's not typing now.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:04 pm

I'm definitely coming down with the flu. I blame FNM.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:14 pm

TFW you spend an hour trying to figure out why your Wordpress theme quit working when you migrated it from a Windows server to a Linux one and finally realize that it's because you just switched from a case-insensitive filesystem to a case-sensitive one, and all you needed to do was change an uppercase letter in a single CSS file to lowercase.

François

Postby François » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:15 am

You remember a few years back when I messed up my shoulders trying to keep myself from falling down the stairs?

Ever since then it's been a bit of internal gallows humor that the next time this happens, I should just slide all the way down on my butt instead of desperately grabbing the railing.

Well.

It wasn't so much one long slide as it was twenty very short slides over maybe two seconds total. My bottom hasn't taken such a pounding since the Reagan administration. On the plus side I still have the full use of all my limbs this time. But I sure could do without the very literal pain in my ass when I'm sitting. Or standing. Or lying down. Or sneezing.

Anyway, God bless my xbox hueg skeleton is all I'm saying. Gonna give it a couple days to see if it gets any better at all before I risk participating in this obnoxious pandemic business just for the privilege of having a sophisticated medical device pointed directly at my nethers.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:41 pm

Thad wrote:Went to order from my favorite neighborhood pizza place, Nello's.

[...]

Nello's shut down yesterday, after a pretty fucking abrupt announcement on the 15th.

[...]

There are still two Nello's left. One of them, at least, is on the way to my in-laws' house, but it's not just around the corner anymore.

I still like to pick up Nello's when I'm in the neighborhood of one of the two remaining ones. The Mesa location is on the way to the vet I take my dog to.

So I was looking forward to picking some up on the way back from taking her in for her annual checkup, and god dammit how is it that, after more than thirty years, I still keep forgetting that they're closed on Mondays?

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:22 pm

I've been having really bad anxiety all week, and insomnia every night, and that's its own thing. And I went in for my updated covid booster today, and I always get kind of anxious about those, but okay here I go

And then the injection splurts out all down my arm, and the guy goes Oh I'll just take a little out of the next one and gives me a second shot, and I freak the heck out

And I'm in a freaking Walgreens because you can't get these in a medical facility, so I can't talk to a doctor. Called the epidemiologist I know, who talked me down and said the dosage isn't precise and she's sure I got enough for it to work.

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:59 pm

yeah, I'm sure you're fine Silver.
ImageImageImage

atog

Postby atog » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:31 pm

"I'm feeling kinda rough, Doc, gimme a triple shot o' that stuff," she said, rolling up her French-cuffed natural silk blouse sleeve to reveal one wiry, sunburned arm mottled with fading prison-block tattoos of Kirby, Jigglypuff, Wigglytuff, and Wario gunning each other down against a bleak cityscape.
As the needle went in, she flinched, causing immunoserum to bead up and roll down her shoulder, where some con artist had depicted Mrs. Potts and Chip, the tea set from Beauty and the Beast, on her deltoid. "The fuck, man. You trying to kill me?"
The clinic attendant took a breath then tried again. "We'll use a little of this one to make up for the loss," facing the jolly tea set again, as it danced over the waves of the tensing muscles.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:35 pm

Some dumbass cut a local fibre trunk cable, so internet's out. Bell keeps posting "it's fixed now!" on various social media, but It's not and then I call and the guy on the line is like oh no, not yet, updated ETA is [add X hours]. We're currently at "uh, sometime before noon tomorrow, maybe?"

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:30 pm

Connection was fixed yesterday, but I tripped on another minor annoyance at the same time. I mean, we went out and such, but it was long enough that we came back and I was looking at my games and picking out the ones which are playable offline.

So I loaded up 7D2D, but it turns out you can't actually play offline. Well sort of. Not because of DRM, but because your save files are synched up for cross-platform play. You can set the game to only refer to local Steam save files with a few fairly trivial steps, but doing so semi-bricks your existing saves (those worlds lose all ownership recognition, so you have to break into all your shit, and then you can't resume that save online ever again, which might matter if you ever have friends come visit to see your shit, Minecraft style... except Minecraft doesn't have this problem with offline/online). >:[

Upthorn

Postby Upthorn » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:14 am

I absolutely hate it when games DRM their fucking save files.
How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:20 pm

We reelected the jar of mayonnaise in a suit.

"Mayo'r" isn't supposed to refer to the actual composition of the officeholder, you numbnuts. >:[

atog

Postby atog » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:41 pm

Backstory: Our apartment building is notoriously un-accessible. It has an elevator, but no ramp from either the street or the garage, so tenants and visitors must use the stairs to get in the front door.

The property owners have decided to replace the old, creaky constantly-breaking-down elevator starting 31 October (6 days away) and it will be out of service for 6-8 weeks, or more accurately, the work crews will get as much done before Christmas as possible, then resume work after Orthodox Christmas has passed. So, uh, mid January or even February.

In advance of this outage, we placed a larger-than-normal order of pet supplies. Heavy items we don't want to carry up the stairs 6 floors. About $350 of stuff, maybe 60kg of cat sand and several cases of canned cat food.

It arrived today, the Fedex delivery guys could barely lift the 2 large boxes over the stoop and were rolling them end over end into the building and the elevator.

The cans were buried UNDER the 20-kg bags of sand in the boxes, so that no matter how you lifted it, the sand bags would slide around and off the side and unbalance the load. The cans usually come in shrinkwrapped 3x4x2 cases, but the cans in our order were unwrapped and just dumped into the bottom of the box.

A box was dropped at some point, and one side of one of the boxes was just demolished, barely held together by tape, and several cans in the box were dented, a couple had just ruptured and were LEAKING cat food everywhere inside. And one of the cat litter bags was torn at some point IN THE STORE, and was hastily taped shut, and the bottom of that box was filled with loose cat sand, along with leaking and dented cans.

This order was supposed to last us 3 months+ but we've identified a dozen or so cans that need to be used ASAP because they're dented so badly it's hard to assume that the vacuum seal is intact. And I would have expected the FedEx goons to at least have a hand cart as standard equipment on delivery runs...who knew? Two reasonably built young guys rolling these overpacked boxes end-over-end wtf.

Gonna stir some shit.
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:21 pm

As I understand it, delivery workers are treated like utter shit these days.

For one thing, I hear a lot of them are classified as independent contractors instead of employees as a cost-cutting measure; they could be wearing FedEx uniforms, driving FedEx trucks, and working exclusively for FedEx under a contract, but are still considered independent.

On top of that, budgets and timelines are tighter than ever. Almost no time to properly use the bathroom (thus all the "trucker bomb" pee bottles I'm seeing more of, even in the big city) or even use a seatbelt right. I wouldn't be surprised if there's the same effect I think is happening at McDonalds, where the workers are overworked and underpaid.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts