Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Brave Soul, Who Fears Not Death

Postby Joxam » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Patches is straight up a piece of shit.

Bal

Postby Bal » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:37 pm

If you survive, or don't whatever, and talk to him again he is always a very useful merchant.

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:11 am

In DS1 he is nothing special so putting an axe in his face doesn't really cost you anything.

In Demon's Souls, he offered good quality grasses and the humanity restoring items if you wanted to roll with higher HP. DS3 has him with a fair selection for stuff as well.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:49 pm

Finally, I got the Moonlight Greatsword! It'll be awesome because it's like Armored Co--

Wait, insufficient skill to wield? 28 INT?

ffffffffudge
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Yeah, it's a sorcerer weapon, but it's obscenely powerful if you go that path.

One of the few weapons that's actually worth the stat investment. Most of the REQUIRES 50 STR clubs and shit aren't that great, really.

Though very few weapons are truly bad. One of the best things about DS games is how you can use almost any build and be fine.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:53 am

Fun fact of minmaxing:

High level str weapons are designed to be two-handed. Which is why most dex weapons top out in the thirties and low forties, you need all those points to wield it. A 45 str greatsword you only need 30 str for to 2hand as was intended.

Of course you need 50str anyway so you can swing a smough's hammer around in each hand while laughing manicly, which is the true good ending.

François

Postby François » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:07 am

I'm partial to having a Fire Giant Shield +10 in one hand and a Lightning Giant Shield +5 in the other myself.

WHOMP

sizzle

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:36 am

Even my beloved black knight halberd seemed a bit high (32str, 18dex); I went for a long time relying on the damn longsword before I could use it. But it worked out in the end since I could go around murdering most anything with a few one-handed hits. That, and Mrs. Ideal approves of giant spears; we used to play Bushido Blade way back in the day, and she liked to play dirty with the naginata.

In retrospect, I feel a bit silly going all the way up to 50str. I guess I felt I really had to try and wield Havel's shield one-handed.

François wrote:I'm partial to having a Fire Giant Shield +10 in one hand and a Lightning Giant Shield +5 in the other myself.

WHOMP

sizzle

I completely forgot that you could even dual-wield shields. "nah, that'd be crazy and I has a giant spear"

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:31 am

MAKE LONDOR WHOLE AGAIN

(dark souls 3 done)
ImageImageImage

François

Postby François » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:53 am

Friday wrote:It's time to move on. You win, game.

So, no regrets about un-moving on then? :D

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:18 pm

Well, I mean, yes, because now I'm a souls addict without any more souls games to play.

I still have the DLC for 3. After that, though, it's sad times for Friday.
ImageImageImage

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:25 pm

Only if you got the Tony Almeida Approved: Triple-Double Cross™ super secret ending.

Or more rewarding than that, go back and try to help your NPC bros as best you can in Dark Souls. you can't, you only cause pain

François

Postby François » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:57 pm

If you could use another fix, you might want to check out Salt and Sanctuary. It's not the same, but it kind of is the same, and good enough on its own merits that it's not quite right to call it a knockoff. Not counting Bloodborne and Demons' Souls, it feels about as close as you're likely to get.

Bal

Postby Bal » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Nothing for it now but to buy a PS4 only to play Bloodborne, just like me.

Also keep an eye on the development of Eitr and maybe The Surge. I have it on good authority that Eitr is fucking awesome, and The Surge is by the Lords of the Fallen devs which was the first really big budget attempt to make a non-From Souls-like. It failed, but for mostly the right reasons, so I have hope.

Nioh is also looking very good. It's basically Onimusha-souls with a emphasis on upgrading your ability to use the various weapon types, and a use of the stamina bar that is maybe better than any From game with a little window in each swing to launch another attack at reduced stamina cost. I think that one is coming out the soonest.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Thanks, you guys are true soulbros.

I'll probably eventually buy a ps4 JUST for bloodborne, yeah.

EDIT: I'll do a big overview of all the games with my thoughts on their strengths and weaknesses (compared to each other, all three games were outstanding) and a top ten boss list, etc once I finish the DLC for 3.
ImageImageImage

Niku

Postby Niku » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:19 pm

Oh yeah so I finally played through all of Bloodborne and the DLC a few months ago and if you haven't done that you really really need to do that. The fourth boss battle in the DLC is fucking incredible.

I'm still considering going back in for the Platinum before my muscle memory fades too much.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:39 am

Bloodborne is the best game. I platinum'd it before the DLC came out. Anyway, Friday, you've got another DS3 DLC this spring before DS3 is done. If you can't wait that long, regular ass PS4s are dropping in price, and Bloodborne is almost certainly 20 dollars by now.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:08 am

I thought I was going to get myself a Moonlight Horn spear just to have one. I even made it through that god-awful wall gauntlet in Anor Londo just to get to the giant blacksmith. I mean, I was heading that way anyway.

I get to the guy, he's forging good and speakething not so good, so I set down my controller without thinking. And it triggers an oversensitive R2 strong attack. And now he's mad at me.

Setting aside the ten trillion souls I'll need for absolution, I first need to go through Shitcock and Fuckbag, more popularly known as Ornstein and Smough. The only fight I've ever needed to summon someone for, and now it's harder than ever.

BRB, burning my game disc.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:31 pm

Alright, Ornstein. You're a monster who frays the human soul like the rest of us brush our teeth- that is, as a simple matter of habit. But I'll allow one small concession:

Your armor is pretty neat. Bestial helmets are not as common as I'd like, and your shoulders are relatively sane for a fantasy fighter. You'd look pretty fine as a desktop figure.

In fact, let's take a look... wait, it starts kind of small. Let's see... scale up to 213mm tall, preview 0.10mm Z resolution, maximum honeycomb fill... Holy crap, 19 hours and 45 minutes of printing?

Alright, nevermind, die in a fire.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:50 pm

Let It Die is the positively mad result of letting Suda 51 get a hold of the Souls formula and survival games, and is also free to play. Short version is you run around with Souls-esque rules in a maybe infinitely tall tower full of crazies that want to kill you. You kill them for their kill coins (souls). When you die you can pay some premium currency to be resurrected by Direct Hell Insurance, or die and start over with whatever you banked/unlocked in the lobby. Also it's a game within a game and you can log out to get quests from the arcade. Also there's a meat locker with a bunch of alternate bodies with different advantages you can swap around if you want to tackle a floor with something in particular.

It's quite insane, but surprisingly addictive.