Game musings and news

François

Re: Game musings and news

Postby François » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Floppy dongs are not new but C:E apparently (edit: it's in there, literally just saw it on a stream) has an adjustable slider at character creation, which probably was an inevitable development all along.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:35 pm

It's not an open world sandbox pvp mmo, though, is it? My understanding is it's none of those, it's a server-driven survival game?

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Mongrel wrote:The game's in alpha, but you can jump up and down and see your giant cock floobing around quite realistically. These devs have Priorities!

But what about the flopping of your ludicrous bright-orange pompadour?

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:16 pm

TA wrote:It's not an open world sandbox pvp mmo, though, is it? My understanding is it's none of those, it's a server-driven survival game?

Yeah, it's not 100% clear (Gameplay? What's that? We've got more important shit than frikkin' GAMEPLAY!), but I think it's supposed to be more analogous to 7days2die, etc.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:16 pm

Starr pointed out that the game will probably never get out of Alpha, because the devs seem like the type to be horrified at the thought of being Beta.

XD

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:37 pm

The part that's weirding me out is that they presumably got permission from Paradox Entertainment.

The original Conan stories are in the public domain, but his name is trademarked; anybody can legally use the Conan characters and settings*, but they can't put "Conan" in the title without approval.

* Just because it's legal doesn't mean you won't get sued. Sherlock Holmes has been in the public domain for decades, but the Doyle Estate kept suing people for using him until the courts finally smacked it down in 2013.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:40 pm

Well, the sales pitch to Paradox may have presented a different set of priorities from what's being pursued.

*dry cough*

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:57 am

FunCom made Age of Conan. They probably still have the video game license.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:34 pm

My favorite thing about games like this is that Rust implemented a system by which your unique character was randomly generated based on your steam ID the first time you started up the game. They lost a not insignificant percentage of their player base do to people not wanting to be black/brown people or have small penises. That actually helped the game by weeding out a huge amount of racists and bigots all at once.

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:20 am

Joxam wrote:My favorite thing about games like this is that Rust implemented a system by which your unique character was randomly generated based on your steam ID the first time you started up the game. They lost a not insignificant percentage of their player base do to people not wanting to be black/brown people or have small penises. That actually helped the game by weeding out a huge amount of racists and bigots all at once.

Actual quotes incldued a white dude complaining that he didn't like playing a game with an avatar that didn't match his actual person.

I presume irony is completely lost on this person.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:11 am

It's sort of funny how, given the option, I don't think I've ever played a white male in a game where you're free to customize your character without it affecting gameplay.

I mean, games are mostly just silly stuff and your character choice is by and large both inconsequential and unreflective of reality... but why not try something different?

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:51 pm

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm not sure how to feel about this when River City: Tokyo Rumble was pretty much what I wanted from a RCR sequel and the fact that ArcSys just put out a really bad Double Dragon sequel.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:57 pm

Lyrai wrote:Actual quotes incldued a white dude complaining that he didn't like playing a game with an avatar that didn't match his actual person.

I presume irony is completely lost on this person.

Yeah, I encountered one of those guys in a comments section. I think it was USG but I can't find it now.

I believe I responded with a short list of games I can't play because I am not a mustachioed plumber, hedgehog, ninja turtle, etc., and how I used to enjoy playing Crazy Taxi and driving sensibly and obeying all traffic laws, but then I quit my job as a cab driver so now I can't play that anymore either.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:46 pm

I like the art direction in this little game, especially the giant shopkeeper.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:27 am

That game footage is pretty intriguing, Geo.

TA wrote:Let's hope the design itself isn't too Gorean although we all know it's going to attract, well

spergs are well known for loving social things amirite

François

Postby François » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:06 am

Spooky Skeleton wrote:I like the art direction in this little game, especially the giant shopkeeper.

Man at first glance I could have sworn this was made by the Downwell guy. I checked to make sure it wasn't, and part of my brain is still not convinced. It does look great on its own merit for sure though.

Esperath

Postby Esperath » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 am

when you feel like you don't have enough bison in your loli evolving simulator:

pisa katto

ImageImageImage

pisa katto

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:34 am

FTL devs announce Mothra's wet dream, a turn-based tactical Pacific Rim-inspired kaiju SRPG entitled Into The Breach:

Spooky Skeleton wrote:I like the art direction in this little game, especially the giant shopkeeper.

I'm really into the look of this.

Eumenes

Postby Eumenes » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 am

Finally bought a 3DS, and discovered I know jackshit about S.D. cards when it turns out the cheap PNY cards I bought keep getting corrupted. Thankfully it only happens rarely when moving files onto them, but it's still inconvenient. The corrupted area will sometimes switch the card to read-only. Damn thing even resisted attempts to reformat it.

A bit disappointing to see the lack of Metroidvania titles in recent years. Shantae is excellent, but AeternoBlade doesn't feel quite right.

I tried Final Fantasy Explorers only to discover it's a Monster Hunter knockoff.

However, thanks to Homebrew it at least provides Sam & Max on the go.