GooberGoats

Thad

Re: GooberGoats

Postby Thad » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Here's a headline: Women and authors of color won big at this year's Hugo Awards.

A few of the slate noms did win (which happened with one nom last year, Guardians of the Galaxy), but they were works like Sandman and Martian that would very likely have won without the Puppies' interference. A couple of No Awards this year, but not the majority like last year. (Surprising no one, Vox Day has declared that this is what he wanted to happen.)

Chuck Tingle has released a new book called Pounded In The Butt By My Hugo Award Loss.

Destynova

Postby Destynova » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:40 pm

He is the Buckaroo we need.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:19 am

No doubt he had a Hugo award win book ready as well.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 am

I would guess that he actually typed up one book and just palette-swapped it so as to have a version for either outcome.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:10 pm

This year's Hugo noms are up, and the new voting system appears to be working; there are a couple obvious puppy picks, but it's a maximum of one per category, as expected, instead of an entire slate.

After last year's Tingle nomination backfired, they seem to have picked a different gay dinosaur erotica author this year.

Rico

Postby Rico » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:56 am

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Thad wrote:This year's Hugo noms are up, and the new voting system appears to be working; there are a couple obvious puppy picks, but it's a maximum of one per category, as expected, instead of an entire slate.

After last year's Tingle nomination backfired, they seem to have picked a different gay dinosaur erotica author this year.

Internet friend of mine from way back, pre-Pyoko, is on the Short Story nomination list again this year:

“Our Talons Can Crush Galaxies”, by Brooke Bolander (Uncanny Magazine, November 2016)

Hoping she clinches it this time, but no matter what happens, "two time Hugo nominee" doesn't sound half-bad no matter how you slice it.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:32 pm

At first, I was shocked and amazed to learn that Best Dramatic Short only had one Doctor Who episode nominated. Seemed impossible, given the history of the category.

Then I learned that only one episode aired in 2016. That'll do it.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:56 pm

It's an... odd episode for them to pick. Definitely a pretty good one, but like, Huge-worthy?

Arrival and Expanse better win that shit.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:51 pm

Since 2006, the "Best Dramatic Short" Hugo could be more accurately described as "Best Episode of Doctor Who Written by Steven Moffat" so, yeah, of course it's there.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Well, unless you count 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, or 2016.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:24 pm

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:46 am

If by that you mean, they wrote a hit piece on Old Man Murray. Whatever you think of them, that's all this article is.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:12 pm

It says it's the first in a series.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:55 pm

So? You said "here's some history on globbergloats" and it's not that at all. It's only nuance in that direction seems to be "The Goons and 4chan love it". It's misleading.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm

I don't know, my take was that they talked about other things in the article too that had nothing to do with OMM, such as the older pre-mid-2000's culture, or the stuff surrounding Jade Raymond. And, as I mentioned, that they're going to talk about other events in subsequent articles. I disagree that this seems like a single-target hit piece.

In any case this seems like a really minor difference of opinion?

Do you think OMM is being treated unfairly here? Are mic being one-sided? If you have something to say about that, I'd be interested, 'cause I know fuck all about OMM - this is literally the first I've heard of it.

Bal

Postby Bal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:11 pm

I think they're laying a lot at the feet of a website from almost 20 years ago, but it's not like they misquoted them. My point is I clicked a link thinking "Oh, a retrospective, how interesting" and what I got was "People were mean to Jade Raymond (true and gross) and OMM might have corrupted an entire generation of gamers".

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Bal wrote:OMM might have corrupted an entire generation of gamers".

Right. They present a case for this thesis, and it's potentially true, but obviously there's no opposing viewpoint. I mean, I think you have to take 4chan and reddit into account (notably, 4chan has also been said to have "Invented the internet we know"), but you can also trace a path where a community with a broad spread still has a centre of gravity, even if that centre has drifted between sites over time.

Actually I wonder what Sharkey thinks of the Mic claim, since they would have been contemporaneous, IIRC? How familiar are/were you with OMM, Sharkey?

Postby Newbie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 pm

The article is not mistaken about the fact that OMM was a respected institution 15 years ago; it's probably most famous for the Start-to-Crate review system or the Why-adventure-games-died essay; I know I have (enduring, unjustified) fondness for this Deus Ex walkthrough. Many people still hold it in high regard, as the article states.

No, it is not the singular birthplace of GG, and yes, the article does incorrectly paint the situation pre-OMM as this idyllic paradise of egalitarian opportunity. None of that changes the fact that we can absolutely take Old Man Murray to task for being awful, just as we recognize the awfulness of the Portal of Evil, Seanbaby, Penny Arcade, 4chan, etc. They may hold varying levels of responsibility for the shitstorm that followed, but trying to hold OMM (or really, any other old-Internet bastion of hilarious or ironic misogyny) above the rest because they were doing this in service of a better cause or some specific point is a bit like defending President Andrew Johnson because he was good enough for Lincoln to choose as a running-mate: sure, he may have been trying to hold the country together in the wake of the Civil war, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a huge fucking racist and basically empowered southern institutions to pick right up where they left off before the war because he was so eager to dangle clemency over groveling southern aristocrats.

This is a hit piece that OMM absolutely deserves.
tiny text

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:30 pm

I don't even remember the difference between PoE and OMM.