Brave Soul, Who Fears Not Death

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Re: Brave Soul, Who Fears Not Death

Postby Joxam » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:37 pm

Also if you die you have to then kill yourself on that floor to recoup your old character's body. Which I love but piss babies are pissing about because of stuff like dying to mid bosses and then having to fight your old character right before a mid boss and other piss baby shit.

Also they just released a huge update which helps with load times and bugs and stuff but its legit like huge.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:57 pm

I don't know how I feel about this being in the Dark Souls thread because it's really only a souls-like in that it's third person combat where you basically have to die at some point to progress.

It's conceptually very fun and a good romp and reminder that nothing lasts, because when you die you don't get a chance to recover anything lost in any way except resurrecting right there with real money items. Though on the other end you really have no reason to get attached to any character. They all have basically the same stat growth, except specifically that their potential for growth grows as you progress.

There are R&D things, blueprints and other items that have persistence as well as passives you can purchase with in-game currency, or real money for, like, a lot of real money. More than it's probably worth. The combat's not great, and the button layout sucks and can't be changed. There's basic combat rolls and one attack per weapon. You can dual-wield anything one-handed but I never found any combos, they both act completely independently of each other. It's more about swapping around to types of items when you know what counters what weapons the uh... npcs? What are the basic enemies called? Before that it's just fuck hand-saw guys.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:19 pm

beatbandito wrote:the button layout sucks and can't be changed

I'm going to channel Thad here and ask "what year is it?"

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:45 pm

Beatbandito, for 5000 gold you can literally just go to your freezer and pay Uncle Death to skate out and get your corpse if you want to get all the items that it had on it and exp and stuff. Like all it costs is 5000 gold, also known as about as much money you make for two 3 minute raids on other people's shit.

Also I grant that I'm only at the point where I'm maxing out all my fighters at level 25 and setting up defenses for my base and am only like five floors into the tower but money and 'souls' aren't really an issue.

If you raid ANYONE'S stuff you get their raid amount (usually between 1000 and 2000 gold and 'souls') and you get a 'bonus' amount that is static at 800 if you win, which you will. So basically you get like 2-3k souls and money for 3 minutes (there is literally a 3 minute time limit on raids) worth of work, rinse and repeat and that's if you don't go through the list and pick someone with a high amount of souls/gold to steal. I think I've banked something like 60,000 gold and souls (I don't know because I spent a lot of it expanding my freezer and my bank max caps in like 30 minutes worth of raiding.

So like yeah, I grant you, stamps cost a lot, but like dude you can make that much money easy. Hell even if you don't raid, clearing level 1 and 2 of the tower give you like 7 k gold and then the elevator ride back is legit like 400 gold.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:51 pm

Okay that does actually have a big impact on my feelings of the game. I didn't realize they kept the inventory.

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:58 pm

Also you can send your guys out (this is why you need to expand your freezer and then level up more fighters because you need defense for your base and then you need to do other stuff) to 'invade' other people's games as NPCs and they will bring you back souls and shit from killing people and npcs in other people's games. The great thing is the minimum you can set them on someone is 1 hour. So like for a straight up hour you guy will be hounding some dude in his game its great (and if you're a real asshole you can set it to do it for six straight hours). Also Haters will fight the other NPCs in your game if you lure them to them.

I do actually kinda agree that let it die isn't much like a souls game though. I honestly think it feels more like a Dead Rising or something.

Bal

Postby Bal » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:05 pm

It's Souls-like meets Mysterious Dungeon, and I think not recognizing the fact that Souls-like has the ability branch out and cross over like that is a bit limiting. Maybe it's the same as rogue-likes and rogue-lites. Most of the games in recent years with the "rogue-like" tag are more lite than like, but they're still solidly in the conversation mechanically. This is a significant departure, including elements from all kinds of things, but I think it still counts. The tension is still there when you're on a good run, you're just more interested in packing Shinjuku station with enough psychopaths to keep everyone off your precious loot than you are in the machinations of mysterious demigods.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:07 am

This is actually a conversation I'd like to have. I've always scoffed at the instantly classic cliche of the 'souls-like' because I honestly don't think of much in the way of mechanics when I think what makes Dark Souls stand out. At best it's the defensive nature of the combat, something which can't be the standard since Let it Die certainly doesn't fit that, but neither does Bloodborne, so I can't imagine that's what people think of when they say 'soulsborne'.

When I think of Dark Souls I think of the atmosphere. A bleak world with living characters, a story that is revealed to you in drips and drabs only where you look for it and has a potential source bias. I think of a story, told through the gameplay as much as dialogue, that there's no truth or righteousness, just the actions that carry you forward, and it's a beautifully designed mix of atmosphere and mechanics to immerse you in that experience. That's something I don't get when a borderlands character with a high-powered sniper rifle blows the back of my character's head off for no other reason than you're in a dungeon and everyone is an enemy (of you, not each other, this is your dungeon) then the most suda51 character ever makes a joke directly to the camera and cut to title and rock music.

Bringing it back, I don't feel like there's any aspect of souls games that persist through 'souls-likes' (save games like Salt & Sanctuary which are actively trying to ape it and not just similarly designed) as much as it's become Kleenex, the brand name action-adventure that reached a level of popular people forgot the genre existed before that. But that can't necessarily be true for everyone, so what makes a souls-like to you?

Bal

Postby Bal » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:34 am

The End is Nigh

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:58 pm

ImageImageImage

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:03 pm

One of my Scots buddies got in on the DS board game (this is his son holding the box):

This is what he saw when he opened it up

:D

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:48 am

ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi my name is Friday (age 6) and I just finished playing Bloodborne and it's better than all of Dark Souls

that is all

thank god, now I'm not the weirdo who thinks Dark Souls 2 is the best Souls game
ImageImageImage

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Please excuse me, I'm new to this whole game sharing stuff, so I'm still a little wow and giddy at the idea. Also, Archdragon Peak seems kind of easy when you just go "eh, fuck it" after failing like ten times.

Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:38 pm

*sees lightning claymore*

*pinches Yoji's cheeks* adorable.

gg tho, after hours of training you to take each step more carefully than the last there are definitely some souls areas best completed with a "fuck this" attitude and cleaned up later.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:13 pm

...i-is that bad? I've just kinda been going with it and trying not to lean on any guides or anything. And it's no secret I'm not good at this; I couldn't parry-and-riposte if you put a gun in my face.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:08 pm

In PvE there are essentially no wrong answers. With weapons, you could definitely screw your build by spreading out too much. There are worse choices, and specifically in that area you're going to want something non-lightening at max level.

It's just more specifically a +10 electric weapon was pretty much the most OP thing on the planet until a few patches into DkS1 when it became a joke. Even in DkS3 pretty much any elemental infusion will be worse than a normal +10 with items or magic, but again, that's getting into minmaxing that isn't necessary.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:54 pm

At extremely high soul levels elemental weapons become stronger (because you can pump every single stat that scales the damage of the weapon), but for anything under like, SL200 you're better off just going 40/40 quality.

But Beat is right, it's like 10 damage more or whatever after all the enemy armor applies. Don't bother. Minmaxing is really not worth it compared to just doing whatever you think is cool and having fun.
ImageImageImage

Mazian

Postby Mazian » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:48 pm

I never got very far in DS1 (PC), because somehow I was getting motion sickness from a third-person view. Don't I wish I knew how.

Recently I upgraded my computer, so if it was a framerate issue, I should be in better shape. Just one decision first: stick with the original PC port that I already own, or get Remastered for $20? They seem to have different sets of problems, but I can't tell which ones actually matter and which are just people gettin' mad at video games.

Wheels

Postby Wheels » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:59 am

The original, trust me. The remastered does a lot of changes to make things pretty without realizing the implications of what they're doing.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem