Another LP? It must be Friday! Let's play Windseal!

nosimpleway

Re: Another LP? It must be Friday! Let's play Windseal!

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Head back to town, rest, and explore some more.

THIS IN FACT IS PART OF THE DYNEH SIDEQUEST

NO YEW

The Yew Staff has the same physical attack power as the Copper Stick that Lyssa's been using up to this point, with the additional advantage of having +4 Magic Attack. I equip it, and regrettably note that being a staff it's a two-handed weapon. And goshdarnit video games just don't have a lot of two-handed weapons that make the lack of a shield worth it. Maybe I can get a wand later that's gives a good MAT bonus.

Deeper in the cave is another wandering monster.

I think the Ironwood Sword is also two-handed, but I honestly don't remember if I gave it to Dren. He's all about hitting things super hard and his defenses are naturally better than Lyssa's, so I want to say I did.

Lyssa: Should we pour Dyneh's water in here?
Dren: I guess so.

There's a pause.

Lyssa: Nothing happened...
Dren: Was it the wrong spot?

And then... something happens.

Splash!

Dyneh: Ye hast freed me. I, Dyneh, am in thy debt. Perhaps ye have heard tell of a water spirit who can grant wishes... It is within my power to reward ye. Simply state what ye wish for...

Lyssa seems pretty gung-ho for a sword. Maybe that's a hint that it's the best option.

Dyneh: Very well. I grant thee thy wish.
(Received Blade of Still Water!)
Lyssa: Sweet! Thanks, Dyneh!
Dyneh: I shall restore ye.

*sparkle sparkle*

Lyssa: Still tingles!
Dyneh: With these waters, I have the power to send ye outside... But whether ye go or stay, I must depart.
Lyssa: Will we ever see you again?
Dyneh: I do not know... But my heart says aye. Until that day, if it comes... Look for me where the water is purest. Now, we must part. Farewell to ye.

And Dyneh is gone with another splash.

So I head to my equip screen, and the Blade of Still Water... well, it looks like I forgot to take a screenshot of it. But I wasn't impressed! There's a save point in the last room, and while it's not my first choice, I'm pretty curious what the other options are.

The Blade of Still Water lacked a major advantage over the Ironwood Sword I'd just found... or was it that Ironwood was 1H and BoSW is 2H? Something like that. Anyway, if you wish for armor, the Sea Scales are a marked improvement from the best armor that Drexl can sell you.

And that nice one-handed wand I wanted when I picked up the Yew Staff? The River's Wand is it. It even gives its user a spell while it's equipped -- basically Firebolt, but water-elemental and with a chance to proc Sleep.

Likewise, the nice robe Dyneh offers is the Robes of Flowing Thought, which are a step up from the Fine Robe. Given how everything worked out I probably should have taken the River's Wand, but I had already read the conversation with Dyneh five times by this point and didn't want to sit through it again. And it's not like the RoFT are settling for anything, they're still super good.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Anyway, don't think I forgot about this guy. I just figured it's a fish monster, so if I went with the armor or robe, water resist might be a useful thing to have.

But the Mermad is so much easier than the Tiny Enemy Crab that I didn't take much in the way of screenshots during the fight.

My reward is a Mermad's Fang and a third Monster Medal.

On my way out, a Bog Imp drops a usable set of wings. And boy Dren is usually hurting for magic defense and agility, so he gets them. The luck bonus is less than the Hidden Ace I pulled off a Gobbo corpse back in the dungeon where I got the Epee, but Luck is all the Hidden Ace does. I'll take the more reliable reward of not dying and maybe outpacing a monster once in a while.

Other items I find include the Swamp Boots, which advertise that they resist poison and I'm hoping carry a passive effect of letting me walk in swamp water without dying, and the Cape of Agility that has defense almost as good as the Scale Mail Dren is wearing, with a bonus to Agility so huge that Dren can now go before Lyssa in combat.

Lyssa: Me? Miss a chance at loot? Have we met? Hi, I'm Lyssa. You may remember me from such quests as: Holla Holla Get GP, and that's it.

Dren: Uh, yes. In a manner of speaking. I mean, she's no longer on this corporeal plane... I think.
Noah: Manners! That girly don't know nothin' bout' em, way she were prettyin' up my water! Hurumph! I'm just glad she's gone. Guess you boys be wantin' a reward.
Lyssa: Boys?! I'm a girl, you crazy old man!
Noah: Here ya go, kids! Don't spend it all in once place!

That's 350 EXP -- I'm now well on my way to level 8 -- and 300 GP.

Noah: Now go on, get! I ain't got the time to be sweepin' youngins from underfoot all day!
Lyssa: I'll sweep you!
Dren: Nice.
Lyssa: We're leaving!
Noah: Hold yer ponies! You two wouldn't happen to be adventurers, would you?
Lyssa: We JUST completed a quest for you!
Noah: Well no rumbledum, ya addled elf! I knew that!
Lyssa: Then of course we are!
Noah: Course ya are what?
Lyssa: ADVENTURERS.
Noah: What, really? Where?
Lyssa: OLD MAN I WILL STRANGLE YOU
Noah: OK, well, I've got spells for sale. If you see any adventurers you could give 'em to them! They might be needin' these magics!

Noah does indeed open a shop. His selection is mostly various flavors of "do some damage and maybe proc a status effect".

Noah: Don't be shy now, ya hear? Come back anytime! Now git out of here and don't come back!

The game advised me early on to focus on equipment upgrades over new spells and skills for the first bit. But the shops don't sell anything appreciably better than the Yew Staff or Ironwood Sword, and certainly nothing on par with the Bog Imp Wings or Robe of Flowing Thought. Dren could use a new helmet, but apart from that, I'm finding things that are better than what's for sale.

So now that Dren is my quickest hitter, I go ahead and buy him another "Do a shitton of damage to one target" skill, and an area-of-effect technique. I also pick up Parry, which is a Defense boost, and after equipping it, realize that the person who really needs to buff up Defense is Lyssa. So I buy another copy for her.

So... I can only hope that now I'm ready for the Swamp Cave. Next time!

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:29 pm

Jesus, taking out Tiny Enemy Crab at level 5 must have taken forever.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 am

Okay, so on to...

...wandering around the world map looking for secrets!

Thought I was gonna say "swamp cave" didn't ya.

I find these guys chilling out south of town, about as far away as the Apple Grove. I could have engaged them when I was looking for Lita's cat, had I been more thorough. They're in the area.

In other words: where they at, where they at, where they at, where they at

there they go, there they go, there they go, there they go

My reward for overcoming this tiny speed bump is a Slime Mask -- okay but outdated magic headgear -- and a Monster Medal.

This is a bit north of the optional Gobbo cave. The overworld isn't as interconnected as I thought it was, although I don't know why I assumed it was thoroughly interconnected in the first place.

The hint on the wall is "Three green and one red", but I couldn't get the switches to unlock the door no matter how I pulled them.

Way up north I find another secret area with a free Antidote spell tome. I give it to... Dren! Because Antidote isn't based on magic attack, and only costs 2 AP to cast, it's the sort of thing Dren would be fine with.

Good Slime: Say, you wanna know what Monster Medals are for?
Yes
Good Slime: Me too. I wonder...

Good Slime: Say, have you heard about the secret with selling items?
No
Good Slime: Yeah, they sell for half. That's a pretty good return!

Good Slime: Hey, I know a tip that will help you out in combat. Wanna hear?
Yes
Good Slime: Fire elementals are weak to water.

Good Slime: I'm totally useless, aren't I.
Yes.
Not Actually Very Good Slime: I knew it. *sob*

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:45 am

The Bee Threepio are only noteworthy in that they immediately gave Dren a chance to cast Antidote a few times. The reward is an Attack Seed and a Monster Medal.

Back on the topic of the interconnectedness of the world map, there are two signs that warn of dangerous areas in the north and northeast parts of the map. I figured they were connected, and the sign was posted at both entrances to the level 5 minimum area. Nope! They don't connect. The first one I found led to the spring where I freed Dyneh. This is the other.

It's a Porc fort, or something like it.

"Cured Porc", it may not surprise you to learn, can cast healing spells. Just like when I previously stuck my nose into an area I was underleveled for, the battles here aren't worth the attrition, so I leave.

I'm pretty sure I one-turned this one. Maybe two? Anyway, it was the shallowest speedbump yet. Rewards are a Rat Tail Belt and a Monster Medal.

This map was pretty clever! It has seven or eight false dead ends with a treasure chest in it to make you think you got to the very end. But if you peer closely, there's always a path through the trees or a vine to climb up to lead to another false dead end, where if you peer closely...

It came as no surprise that there was a wandering monster at the very end. The red chest was a Swift Sunflower, which goes in a shield slot and increases Agility.

The Gobboway Five was my first really challenging fight since Tiny Enemy Crab! Because every one of these little bastards can use Power Attack and Spin Attack -- and this is their damage output once I've already used Parry for a Defense boost.

It was rough, and took most of the potions I'd been restocking since burning through all of them against Tiny Enemy Crab. My reward was a Luck Seed and a Monster Medal.

And as tough as the Gobboway Five were...

Whoa, here she comes. Watch out boy, she'll chew you up.

She's a Man-Eater managed to eat Dren, and Lyssa was in another I'm-out-of-potions throw-everything-I've-got-in-one-last-desperate-attack when she narrowly achieved victory. My rewards are a Magic Defense Seed, a Monster Medal, and both Lyssa and Dren hitting level 8 even though Dren was half-digested by then.

This is the point where I learned that Camping Gear revives a character at 0 HP, so that's good to know.

There's no treasure or monsters at this secret spot, but: taking bets that this is Lyssa's father's grave.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:57 am

Okay, I think I'm ready.

Damage floor immunity, go! I hope this works!

Stopping at the cave entrance: nope! Sure doesn't. The Swamp Boots aren't particularly useful in the swamp, the worst false advertising since Snake Oil.

But I make it further into the swamp cave, enough to find a Yew Wand. It has crap attack power but only sheds one point of magic attack, and that's more than made up for by the defensive boosts I can get by equipping a shield. That's what I meant when I griped about the Yew Staff in the first place.

Did I even mention why I'm in this godforsaken cave? Celia, back in town, behind the counter of the magic shop, lost her mirror in here when she was attacked by a giant, possibly evil, snake. And here it is.

Dren: It must be Celia's.
Lyssa: We should return it to her, then.
*hiss*
Lyssa: Did you hear that!?
Dren: Sorry, no. Guess my ears aren't big enough.
Lyssa: If we weren't about to be attacked by a giant and very possibly evil snake, I would smack you so hard right now.

After Tiny Enemy Crab, the Gobboway Five, and She's a Man-Eater, the Giant (Evil) Snake is a pushover. I can take out the Snakers flanking it on the first turn with Blaze and Spin Attack, then focus fire for... like two more rounds, and it's done for.

Lyssa: Right, now that that's done with... *smack*

Lyssa: You bet! And I have something else to report!
Celia: Oh?
Lyssa: Yeah. Turns out, the Snake was definitely evil.
Celia: I'm just glad you found my mirror!
Lyssa: So, Celia, is the mirror, like, magical?
Celia: Nope! I just need it to fix my hair in the mornings.
Lyssa: I hear ya.
Dren: Lyssa is really good at hearing. On account of her ears.
Lyssa: Dren is really good at nothing. On account of his face.
Celia: In any case, thanks again for bringing me back my mirror. It's an heirloom from my great great great grandmother. Here's your bag of loot!

That's 400 EXP and 300 GP.

Lyssa: Thank you, thank you. I should say that us getting out of that cave alive was a... Mirror-acle.
Dren: Gonna kill you.

So, that's the second-to-last quest on the job board, and aside from Noah, haven't run into any other questgivers anywhere. So my choice of where to go next is either the optional Porc Fort in the north, or clear out the Porcs in the Pass off to the east to open the path to Kavros. So next time: One of those!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Lyssa: Yes?
Green-haired guy: You look like a real merc.
Lyssa: Well I am a wandering heroine...
Dren: She stops bad things from happening!

Well... I cleared out an apple grove, found a lost cat, drove some gobbos back out of Senn, found a mirror, and freed a trapped water spirit. So it's more like after bad things happen Lyssa comes along and fixes them. Reactive, not preventative!

Green-haired guy: So whatcha doin?
Lyssa: Well... Dren and I are going on our daily rounds...
Green-haired guy: Oh no you ain't...
Green-haired guy: You're gonna do
Green-haired guy: PORCS IN THE PASSSSSSS

Hey, porc you in the pass, buddy!

Lyssa: Uh, OK?
Green-haired guy: So, can you do something about those Porcs camping in the pass to Favros? I came to this town to set up a new shop, but nobody buys in a backwater place like this.

Yeah as it turns out you can get stuff for free just by wandering around. So there's not much to buy in town apart from food and camping gear, really.

Green-haired guy: By the time I decided to leave, those Porcs had taken over the pass home! I'm offering a reward if somebody can clear them out so I can get out of this place.
Lyssa: Leave it to us!
Green-haired guy: Good! Now go bust those Porcs' cranks!

Your word choice makes me somewhat uncomfortable, sir.

With my goal clear and ahead of me, I know exactly what to do: Go literally anywhere else and do sidequests. It's an RPG, baby! So I head north instead of east, where nothing in the game has pointed me yet.

Okay, so uh. As it turns out, this is as much a hint as a free piece of loot. Porcs and Porc Choppers -- whom I assume are excellent with rosemary and applesauce -- only do physical hits. Cured Porc are spellcasters, though I haven't seen do any healing magic even though I swore they did in that first encounter, but still hit pretty hard. The non-Porc enemies through here are Spiders and Scorpions, who don't have any attack magic.

All this to say that a Defense boost is a very helpful thing to have in this dungeon.

Oh. It's one of those dungeons.

Clues abound.

past the splinters of age and ruin, you find a small, dusty pouch. Age has marred the once finely crafted leather satchel, but not ruined it. Closing your fingers around it, you are surprised to find it has significant weight. As you lift it from the box, brushing off an errant spiderling from the back of your hand, the pouch shifts in your grasp and the sound of coin and possibly gemstones clinking together reaches your ear. Blowing the dust off the pouch, you pull open the drawstring and peer inside. A smell, subtle but pungent, wafts upwards as the leather parts. The aroma is sharp, and unmistakable: There is treasure inside. As your excitement rises, you begin to tremble. Keeping a careful eye on your surroundings for fear of ambush by the dreaded orcs, you reach inside to find...
Er.
Found Peanut!

Somehow I have a deep understanding of what it's like to be in one of Friday's D&D games.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:33 pm

There's a lot of ground to cover in this dungeon -- lots of branching paths to get to those number clues, and each individual room is huge. Lyssa and Dren hit level 9 from random encounters.

Oh hey, a save point. I can probably make it through one more room before I need to recharge my MP. Okay... I can do another, I think. Yeah, okay, I'm pretty well tapped out, I should rest up and --

CRAP I USED MY LAST CAMPING GEAR AFTER THAT CARNIVOROUS PLANT

scuse me a sec guys lemme run back to town real quick

So there are only the three clues, for a four-digit number. Have you figured out the combination yet?

I did. The real prize in the chests is a Bull Helm, which boosts Attack and Defense. Dren gets that.

Also here: my ninth Monster Medal.

I wonder if they had a weakness to Ice. It'd make sense to get Cevin and Bakon down to fewer than six degrees.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:44 pm

I must confess, after several more offscreen minutes with this, I just couldn't get it. I had to ask Friday for a hint.

For anyone playing along who wants to figure this out for themselves, I'll spoiler the solutions.

The handle of each switch is "one" of that color, and the base, if painted, counts as "another" of that color. So "three greens and a red" means to flip the switch with the green handle and the green base -- for two greens -- and the switch with just the green handle -- plus one green -- and the switch with just the red handle -- one red.

I had flipped each switch a number of times, thinking that's how I reach "three". Wrong sort of thought process.

There's no screen transition between that room and this one, which demands six greens and two reds -- but there are only two green switches (with green bases) here. You have to go back and flip only the green-handle-and-base switch in the previous room to get all the greens you need.

And flip the red-handle-red-base switch in this room. The one in the last room doesn't count, even though the green one right across from it is necessary.

The penalty for screwing up is now a step onto a damage floor every time you check that the door is still locked, but I nailed it first try.

You have to walk past a room full of wall switches to get to this plaque for the hint. It continues:

First, he plants an evergreen so his sons will always remember him if he does not return. At the bottom of the mountain, he keeps his head up and his eyes steady. Halfway up the mountain, he encounters a raging fire. He expends great effort in avoiding it. Finally, he reaches the top, exhausted. He looks down and his gaze falls upon a rainbow. He then dies and opens the gate to the underworld.

And the penalty for screwing up is now three steps on a damage floor to check the lock. But I got this one right off, too! At the bottom of the room, flip the green switch. Don't flip any switches on the bottom row -- keep your head high and your eyes steady. Spend great effort avoiding the fire by flipping every switch on the second row up except the red ones. And on the top row, flip every switch of every color for the rainbow.

Clever little puzzle.

There are only two green switches on the walls and pillars here. So for the last "green", substitute a blue and a yellow together.

There are a couple treasure rooms further on, but no more puzzles -- just a hunt for invisible switches in the walls to open gates for some treasure. It's not much now, but considering it's not super difficult to find these ruins from the world map and there are no encounters inside, you can beeline straight here at the start of the game for a free Fork Bolt spell.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:49 pm

A save point? But I haven't really... done anything. Like I said, there are no random encounters here.

That... does not augur well. The lamps light as I walk past them, but don't do much to illuminate the gloom.

Spooky Scary Skeleton: Die.

OH SHIT

PORC ME RIGHT IN THE PASS

I'm gonna have to get back to this one later, I think.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:55 am

That series of puzzles always trips everyone up one way or another (usually at the "climbing a mountain" part) but I've never seen anyone get stuck on the very first room before, and then one-shot the rest of it.

Oh, and

ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:27 am

Once I started focusing on colors and not flipping switches by numbers it kind of fell into place.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 am

Maybe have an opening puzzle that's just "two red" with two red-knobbed switches and a green one?

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 pm

All right. Get your poles into position to do PORCS IN THE PAAAASSSSSSS

The monsters here are the same as they were in that optional porc dungeon I just finished. I end up running from most of them.

Dren speculates that whoever's in charge of the porcs has the key. I like to think the wall holding this gate in place is intentionally tiny as a joke. Next build of the game it won't even span the breadth of this cliff, and Dren will be like "we can just go around" and Lyssa is like "NO THIS IS A QUEST WE HAVE TO DO IT PROPERLY" and Dren is like "fine gawd whatever".

The room is designed that the way to the treasure is blocked by a gate if you step on any of the tiles. So don't do that, and your reward is a Ring Mail. It's better than the armor I can buy from Drexl, I think? But not as good as the Cloak of Agility, overall.

RPG Maker lacks the tiles for the undersides of rocky outcroppings.

Anyway it does not take long, considering I've done literally everything there is to do in Senn and this isn't any tougher than the last couple things I did.

yes except the skeleton in his crypt shut up

Oink!: I, the supreme leader of all Porcs --
Dren: Wait. Let me guess. "Porking." No, "Porker." Wait, no, I've got it. "Baconator."
Oink!: Huh? What? No. My name is Fried Rice.
Dren: *sigh*

The hog-father attacks with a couple of flunkies. Needless to say, I spend the first turn setting up Parry.

And after focused fire on the adds takes them out, the Patri-swine summons more. So I have to do it all again.

So it's a long fight, but wandering monsters were tougher.

Dren: You just... you just had to get that last one in, didn't you.
Found Favros Pass Key!
Dren: Hold up. We should go back to Senn first and turn this -- I mean, let everyone know the pass is open again.
Lyssa: And get our reward!
Dren: You know, Lyssa, for someone who says she wants to be a heroine, you sure are obsessed with money.
Lani: The proper term is "loot", philistine.
Dren: 'Philistine'?

Yeah, does this game even have a Philistine-the-state to call people Philistine-the-person over?

Dren: This coming from the girl who won't read anything if it doesn't have at least six swordfights and four explosions per chapter.
Lyssa: It's four and SIX. Or two and three if it's also got a Dragon, but one of the swordfights has to be with the Dragon, and he has to explode at the end.

Don't be ridiculous, Lyssa. Dragons can't swordfight.

Lyssa: And the hero can't look back as he walks away from the exploding Dragon. Or as he's posing, one hand on the ground, facing away, with his sword out, you know, after the final clash, and you can see the Dragon behind and there's a delay and then BOOM
Dren: I rest my case.

...why does she capitalize Dragon every time she says the word? I know there's a THE Dragon but unless she's talking about books with swordfights against the god? physical embodiment? avatar? of magic itself...

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Now that the mighty Porc Fried Rice has been defeated, there are butterflies flitting about Favros pass.

I found a Fire Rod on my way back. It has the same Magic Attack boost as the Yew Staff, but it's a wand so Lyssa can keep her shield. The user can also use Firebolt, Blaze, and newly-introduced Fireblast while it's equipped -- not that Lyssa didn't know two of those already.

Also one of the rooms I missed on my way in is good ol' Sokoban.

It's tricky!

No no, I can do this. The last bit has a switch to flip on the opposite side of the puzzle as the exit, but this ain't Nethack. There are no tricks.

Hah!

Dren: Lyssa
Lyssa: ooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Dren: LYSSA --
Lyssa: oooooooooooooooooooo
oooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo
Dren: LYSSA I FOUND THE KEY IT'S RIGHT HERE ON THE GROUND NEXT TO IT
Lyssa: OMG OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT OPEN IT
OPEN IT
Dren: OKAY HOLY CRAP
Power Bracelet was found!
Lyssa: OPEN INVENTORY WHAT'S IT DO
Dren: Can you just hold on one--
The inventory screen opens automatically.

Besides looking just a little like a spider-croissant, the Power Bracelet is actually a damned substantial boost for whoever equips it. I give it to Lyssa, replacing the Swamp Boots I forgot to take off quite a while back.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Lyssa: Yeah, we got the Porc Fried Rice to go.
Dren: ...words cannot express my rage.
Green-haired guy: Well, anyway, I have your reward here.
(Quest complete! Received 700 EXP and 400 GP.)
Green-haired guy: Thanks again for clearing the pass! Now I can finally get home... Except I finally found a buyer here...

And there was someone else who was pointedly interested in this quest's completion. Mentioned it every time you spoke to him, in fact.

That's right. Now's the time for Drexl to finally realize what a strong, capable lad Dren has grown into, and give him, Dren, his, Drexl's blessing to go out and make his way in the world.

Drexl: "Sir."
Dren: ... sir.
Drexl: What is it?
Dren: We cleared out the Porcs in the Favros pass.
Drexl: You did, did ya? Well, good. Now I can get my shipments through.
Dren: Yeah.
Drexl: ...Anything else?
Dren: I... I'm gonna be taking Lyssa to Favros. Just as far as --
Drexl: Nonsense. You're staying right here.
Dren: Look, I'll just be gone a little --
Drexl: Look, I know you think you're some sort of big time warrior now that you've killed a Porc or two. But the fact is you're needed here. If the little elf girl wants to go off pretending she's a heroine that's her business. You're staying here.
Dren: Dad, I --
Drexl: It's SIR. How many times do I have to tell you?! Do I have to box your ears like when you were a little child?
Dren: ...Sir, Lyssa is trying to find her parents, and I wanted to at least help her --
Drexl: Her parents? The one she didn't kill is right here in Senn.
Dren: Don't talk to my friend like that!
Drexl: Keep your mouth shut, boy!
Dren: You stupid son of a -- Lyssa didn't kill anyone!
Drexl: What did you call me?
Dren: You... You miserable old bastard!
Drexl: GET OUT.
Dren: Yeah, I will! You're not my father! You're just a bitter old man who thinks he's far more important than he is! Why don't you do us both a favor and go off and die somewhere, huh?
Drexl: I TOLD YOU TO GET OUT. YOU'RE NO SON OF MINE.
Dren: You don't have to ask a third time!

Dren: Sorry you had to see that.
Lyssa: Dren...
Dren: Here. It's my savings.
Lyssa: Dren, I can't take this...
Dren: Go on. It's not much anyway.
Lyssa: Are you gonna be okay?
Dren: Yeah. I'm better off without him anyway.
Lyssa: But what are you going to do now?
Dren: I'll take you to Favros. And... Beyond. I'm gonna help you find your parents.
Lyssa: Dren, I... I mean, I'm happy you're coming, but...
Dren: Shall we get going?
Lyssa: Dren... Thank you.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:28 pm

If I really wanted to buy some more start-of-game gear, Drexl has instantly hired somebody to work the counter at his shop to handle that. But I don't, so I don't. Lyssa doesn't even have anything to say to her mom before she leaves (and there really is only ever the one Homecooked Meal).

Lyssa: Goodbye!
Dren: We're really doing this. Really setting out, for real this time.

The overworld music changes to a more majestic orchestral piece, suitable for a GRAND ADVENTURE rather than the PIDDLING AROUND DOING ODD JOBS I've been up to so far.

Lyssa: Yeah... I have the oddest sense of deju vu.
Dren: There's nothing holding us back! Let's go!

That's (sic) by the way. Hey Friday, I found a typo.

Dren: We can ask around there for any info about elves. The Templar might know something. I've met their Captain before.
Lyssa: Sounds like a plan!
Dren: And... of course... We'll do any jobs they have available.
Lyssa: ...Oh? Did I hear a tiny bit of excitement in your voice over the prospect of ADVENTURING?!
Dren: It was a passing thing. Don't get too excited.
Lyssa: I can't help it THERE MIGHT BE LOOT
Dren: You're insane.
Lyssa: Let's go, Dren!
Dren: ...Yeah.

Dren: Onwards...
Lyssa: TO VICTORY!
Dren: Well, I was gonna say Favros. But victory works.

On the far side of the gate is a vine to climb down into that surprisingly verdant and lush valley there in the middle of the rocky mountains (not the Rocky Mounta-- look, you know what I mean).

Lyssa:
Lyssa:
Lyssa: FINDERS KEEPERS
Dren: Lyssa, you can't just take other people's stuff just because it's on the ground. Unless we're in a town, I guess.
Lyssa:
Lyssa:
Lyssa: FINDERS KEEPERS
Dren: Be quiet.

Dren won't let us take the OBVIOUS QUEST COMPLETION ITEM sitting here, so it's off to the exit to get to Favros.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Dren: Look! Up ahead! That woman is being attacked!
Lyssa: Alright! Finally! Yes!!!
Dren: Lyssa...?
Lyssa: Come on, let's hurry!

Dren: Lyssa, what the heck are you so happy about?
Lyssa: It's a damsel in distress! All true heroes have to rescue one at some point!

Lyssa: La la la, can't HEAR YOU!
Dren: Uh, Lyssa, I think she might be a Temp--
Not a Damsel in Distress: I am a Templar! And I am not in distress!

To prove it, she instantly wastes one of the monsters surrounding her.

Not a Damsel in Distress: And now for you lot!

Two more porcs get chopped.

Not a Damsel in Distress: Still kickin, eh? Then... how about THIS!

She charges straight through the orc, which explodes.

Lyssa: ... Oh.
Lyssa: My.
Lyssa: God.
Lyssa: YOU'RE DOING THE POSE.
Not a Damsel in Distress: What?
Dren: Please forgive my friend. She's a little... crazy. Anyway, what's a Templar doing in the pass to Senn?
Not a Damsel in Distress: I was sent here by my Captain. I have orders to go to Senn and find help.
Dren: ...Help?
Not a Damsel in Distress: Yes. The Templar are extremely hard pressed for manpower at the moment. We could use all the help we can get, even if it's mercenaries or militia.
Lyssa: Well, girl, you are IN LUCK, because we just happen to be WANDERING HEROES.
The woman sprouts a "?" emote bubble.
Dren: Remember. Crazy. Ignore.
Not a Damsel in Distress: You two did come from Senn through the pass, did you not? You know how to fight at least.
Dren: Yes, it's true. We are... *sigh* Wandering heroes.
Not a Damsel in Distress: Perfect! You will come with me, won't you?
Lyssa: Will there be payment?
Not a Damsel in Distress: Captain Nathan has authorized me to pay up to 10,000 GP for a militia or mercenary squad.
Lyssa: And will we get to help the innocent and smite evi-- HAHA JUST KIDDING 10,000 GP LETS GO
Not a Damsel in Distress: What? I'm not going to give you personally all 10,000! This money is to hire a bunch of people!
Lyssa: 9000?
Not a Damsel in Distress: No!
Lyssa: 8500?
Not a Damsel in Distress: NO!
Lyssa: ...9500?
Not a Damsel in Distress: I told you, no!
Lyssa: 15,000!
Not a Damsel in Distress: What!? I told you, I only had 10,000!
Lyssa: FOUR MILLION GOLD.
Not a Damsel in Distress: I think there might be something wrong with you.
Dren: She doesn't even know how to --
Not a Damsel in Distress: Aside from your ears, I mean.
Lyssa: ...
Dren: Oh wow. I like you.
Lyssa: I've changed my mind. I don't want you in my party anymore.
Dren: Oh, come on, Lyssa. Working for the Templars we'll get to do all kinds of heroic things. AND we'll get paid.
Lyssa: Sigh... okay fine. But as per standard heroic contract I reserve the right to keep all loot, and also break into random houses and rob them.
Not a Damsel in Distress: Of course.

She's awfully flippant about that last condition, for a Templar.

Not a Damsel in Distress: But isn't there anyone else in Senn that I can hire? Captain Nathan would be kinda mad if all I brought back was two warriors.
Dren: Well, there are a few guards in the village, but I doubt we could spare them.
Dren: ...My dad could fight, but...
Dren: Yeah, actually. As sad as it is, we're probably your best bet.
Lyssa: We are pretty awesome, it's true. What's your name, anyway?
Morgan: It's Morgan. Morgan Kastel.
THANK YOU god am I tired of typing "Not a Damsel in Distress".
Dren: Nice to meet you, Morgan. I'm Dren, and this is Lyssa.
Morgan: Dren...?
Dren: ...yeah?
Morgan: Sorry, nevermind. Nice to meet you both. I guess if there's nobody else to hire in Senn, we should head back to Favros as soon as possible.
Lyssa: Alright! Let's get going!

A soaring fanfare plays. Third party member has joined!

Dren: What the heck was that noise?
Lyssa: What noise?
Dren: ... The... You didn't...
Dren: Wait a minute. Morgan?
Morgan: Yeah?
Dren: Could you, uh, walk over there?
Morgan: Uh... sure?

Dren: Now walk back here.
Morgan: Alright.

A soaring fanfare plays. Third party member has rejoined!

Dren: ...I hate this universe.

Morgan joins a level higher than Lyssa and Dren. Lemme just point out that her Magic Attack is as high as Lyssa's, and her Attack is almost as high as Dren's. She's a generalist who's almost as good as my other two guys' specialties! She knows Power Strike, Parry, Spin Attack, and a new Flame Slash skill; Firebolt, Blaze, and Lesser Smite; and both Minor and Lesser Heals.

Bad. Ass.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Golbez: The last of the nine rune gems has been found... My time draws near... The last of the seven prophets has awakened...

Golbez: The time is upon us... I, Angaraxasak, High Demon Lord of the Burning Demon Legion Lords, shall rule over the lands of men! Ha ha ha ha ha... Mwa ha ha ha ha... MWA HA HA HA HA!
MWA HA HA HA HA!
Angaraxasak, High Demon Lord of the Burning Demon Legion Lords: Now, nothing can stop ME! With the power of the Black Star Rune Prophet Demon-Gem Sword, none living shall be able to-- what was that noise?

Angaraxasak, High Demon Lord of the Burning Demon Legion Lords: On what charge!?
Templar: Copyright infringement!
Angaraxasak, High Demon Lord of the Burning Demon Legion Lords: WHAT?!

Ooh, looks like I was pretty on the nose with that Golbez thing.

Templar: No, seriously, it's because you were trying to take over the world.
Angaraxasak, High Demon Lord of the Burning Demon Legion Lords: You can't just arrest me! I have -- You -- Look, can you guys come back in like five minutes, because --
Templar: He's resisting arrest! Get 'em!

thwack thwack thwack
Tempar: All right boys, let's book em.

The Templars drag Angaraxasak, High Demon Lord of the Burning Demon Legion Lords, out of his throne room. So that's dealt with.

Next time: Favros!

Friday

Postby Friday » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:58 pm

For those keeping track, starting with Morgan's intro screen/event, everything past that is part 2, aka programmed within the last 6 months or so. Everything before that (apart from tweaks and rebalancing) was made almost 4 years ago.
ImageImageImage