Another LP? It must be Friday! Let's play Windseal!

nosimpleway

Re: Another LP? It must be Friday! Let's play Windseal!

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Knight: I did not think you would make it this far.

I'll be honest, that floor is huge, you wander around for what feels like forever, and the enemies never let up. I wasn't sure I'd make it this far either.

Knight: Tell me, humans, what are your names?
Lyssa: I'm Lyssa, and this is Dren and Morgan.
Knight: Well met, Lyssa, Dren, and Morgan! You are brave indeed to come before me in challenge. But I am being rude. The host should introduce himself first.
Knight: Behold, mortals! I am The Headless Knight, Sir Francis the Dullahan!
Dren: ...The 'Headless' Knight?
Knight: Yes?
Dren: ... Well, I mean, I've heard of Dullahans carrying their heads around, but, uh. You've got a head, Sir Francis.
Knight: I was in a freak accident.
Dren: ...A freak accident. In which your head grew back.

Okay Dren we don't talk so bluntly about people's disabilities you're just being rude. Sometimes headless knights have heads, don't stare, god.

Francis: Oh, gods no. I lost my read head ages ago when it rolled down a cliff and into a lake. This isn't my head.
Dren: ... Not your head?
Francis: You see, the Floor Guardian of the floor above us is a bit of a prankster. She put super-glue on my neck while I was sleeping. That following morning, I was out fighting against some adventurers who were foolish enough to challenge the might of the Master. In the heat of battle, I decapitated their leader.
Dren: Oh god, I think I see where this is going.
Francis: So when my blade passed through his neck, his head went flying up and off, all spinning round, right? And it just happened to land exactly on my neck, like so.
Dren: And the glue instantly bonded the head to your neck-stump.
Francis: It was magical super-glue.
Dren: Of course.
Dren: Uh. Forgive me for asking this, but...

YOU ARE BEING SUPER RUDE OMG

Dren: Why don't you just decapitate yourself again?
Francis: I like this head.
Dren: Fair enough.

No matter whose head it is, we gotta fight... uh, Francis, Servant of Darkness. Or whatever.

Now, this is kind of why I had Morgan take up claw techniques. As far as I can tell, the procs for skills like Rip and Tear never fail. If you hit with the claw, you debuff your target. No resists.

After a couple of Rips, Francis's attack is so low that he can no longer damage Dren with his attacks. His kickers still proc, which is a bit odd. The knight tries to stab Dren, but can't even break the skin! Then Dren starts bleeding from his lack of a wound.

I mean, Francis can do more than just stab, which is kind of a problem, but Rip does plenty to shut him down.

Yeah.

Onward and upward, I suppose.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Succubus: Then again, he was the weakest of us... Kyu kyu kyu! Looks like I've got myself some new toys to play with! I am the Lady Liliana Morr! O-ho-ho-ho! Can you survive my wonderfully exquisite traps?

She goes on like that for a while, but you get the idea.

The decor is about the same. The monsters are almost all the same. Only now there are traps to deal with, too. You can flip a switch on the wall at the bottom of the screen, and the spikes in this room retract. Then you step forward and see that there are more spikes, and another switch. So you flip that switch, and the spikes in the other room don't drop, the spikes around where you're standing pop back up.

The old rolling boulder in a narrow hallway trap. I've probably lost hundreds of Nethack puppies to those.

Walking on the blank floor gets you stabbed. The mirror outside is the hint: What you see is reversed from where the damage floors actually are. And trying to face the chest in the right corner will move you onto the spike trap mirrored from where Lyssa is facing in this shot.

I've only ever seen the Student Witch do one attack, and it's throwing a cat at someone. This hits three times, for moderate damage. Two regular cat scratches followed by a critical cat scratch took Morgan from "slightly wounded" to "dead, fuck you".

I'd gotten pretty frustrated by the grind of getting through the first floor, and the prospect of continuing into an area with even more annoying enemies and traps I'm gonna have to feel my way through?

I just left. Maybe a few more levels and skills are enough t--

Nope. Spidexes have ridiculous Evade and null spells thrown at them, so they're an even bigger "ha ha no fuck you" than the monsters in Garax's castle. What else?

These guys are accessible from the overworld, not too far from where I started on this map, so instead of a massive pain in the ass, it'll probably be a curbstomp.

It is. And since Morgan benefits from AGI more than MAT at this point, I actually end up using this thing.

So... yeah. Garax's castle has a very "this is very definitely the final dungeon" sort of feel to its difficulty spike, but for god's sake I'm only level 22, and I only have one important key item out of a set of seven.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Wandering around the world map, a Griff drops a Griffang. Don't they have beaks? Doesn't this completely obsolete the Fighter's Ring I got as a quest item?

Back to trap floor. Those little blue flames zip back and forth, and do HP damage if you touch them.

They're all over the place, and set up so you'll probably run into another trap trying to avoid them.

There are also a bunch of rooms that do damage and teleport you out if you miss their gimmick. In this case, follow the arrows, until you reach the mirror, then go the opposite of where the arrows are pointing, until you reach the broken mirror, then do what the arrows say again.

Oh yeah, I'm looking for four switches again.

You might think the winding, turning, twisting rug is the path leading through a trapped area. Nope! The rug is the damage floor.

This is the first time I've seen a Student Witch do anything but throw a cat, usually at Morgan, who has the lowest defenses and HP.

Here's the switch to put away the spikes around the chest there...

...okay, I had that coming.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:16 pm

The flame zips back and forth through the empty side of the hallway. Precision movement around blue flames quickly becomes the norm for this floor.

It's an unguarded loot chest in an empty room. There had to be a catch.

Same. I'm just documenting what the traps are at this point.

More precision movements around dancing flames.

The chests that are easy to get are traps, but the ones that are on the far side of traps are compelling enough that you want to endure the difficulty of getting them. Picking this up I'm actually considering making Morgan a gish again.

Two mimics. They attack at the same time, and beating them removes both chests from the map.

I danced around so none of the cloaked figures had a direct line-of-sight, like that puzzle in the mine. That seemed to do it, since there wasn't any damage or triggered fights or anything.

What do you think, is this a functional save point, or a panel of damage floor?

The flames here zoom in circles, and you have to cross out of the range of one directly into the range of another before you get to another safe spot. Problem is, they don't scroll onto screen at the same time, so they get pretty out of sync with one another.

Small yellow flower, white flower, red flower, small yellow flower, big yellow flower, repeat.

Once you enter, the door locks. So you flip a switch to unlock the door, and it's a spike trap. So you flip the other switch to unlock the door, and it's also a spike trap. You can open the gate just by touching it. The chest, of course, is a booby prize.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:32 pm

That one room had enough tricks, switchbacks, and random encounters to make a dungeon out of all by itself. But it's only the second floor of a god-knows-how-big tower.

And at the end is... Sam?

A good question!

Sam: Morgan, come quick! They've got Izzy!
Morgan: Izzy?! Where?!
Sam: Some sort of demon got her, and flew off! ...I followed them here...
Morgan: Oh my god! Let's go, quickly!

Morgan's mama-bear attitude toward her daughter blinds her to the fact that her sister -- who in no way has indicated any measure of skill in combat, magic, stealth, or infiltration -- somehow managed to get through Dark Rain Ridge, through the badlands, and past two doors gated by some of the frustrating and tedious dungeon-crawling the game has to offer, one of which had a Dullahan behind it.

This ends exactly as well as you think it would. Morgan and "Sam" are gone.

Dren: Don't be fooled, Lyssa. It's that succubus again.
Lyssa: ...I know.
George: Lyssa, it's been so long. Do you still remember me?
Dren: To appear as someone's dead loved one... That's low, even for a demon like you.
George: Darling, I love you.
Lyssa: I love you too... Dad.
George: Come here and give me a hug. You've grown to be such a fine young lady!
Dren: Lyssa--
Lyssa: ...You're not my father.
George: Why did you burn me, honey? It hurts, Lyssa... It hurts so bad...
George: HOW COULD YOU KILL YOUR OWN FATHER, LYSSA?!
George: MY ROTTING BODY IS ALL BLACK AND TWISTED FROM YOUR FIRE!
Dren: Shut the hell UP!

I kind of expected Dren jumping in to hit the fake George to lead to him getting abducted instead, but the succubus just giggles and teleports out. She's a good sport about it, you've got to give her that.

Dren: Are you okay?
Lyssa: ...Yeah. I'm alright. He looked... Just like I remembered him. Even sounded just like him.
Dren: Succubi can get into your mind to mess with you. She's just trying to mess you up. Your real dad would be proud of you, Lyssa.
Lyssa: ...I know. Thanks, Dren. Let's go find Morgan.

She's right around the corner.

Morgan: Yes, somehow. I broke free of the demon's spell.
Lyssa: We were so worried about you! Are you sure you're okay?
Dren: Lyssa, wait, no!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:50 pm

Dren: ...Mom?
Franny: Yes... It's me, honey!
Dren: But... you got sick...
Franny: I know, sweetie. It must have been very hard on you... You were just a boy when I passed...
Dren: Mom...
Franny: I'm so sorry, honey...
Dren: Then... how are you here?
Franny: My spirit drifted... This place attracts the souls of the dead... The dark magic present here allows me to appear...
Franny: It's been so long, Dren... Come here, let me feel your face in my hands...
Dren: Is it... Is it really you, Mom?
Franny: Yes... I'm so happy to see you...
Dren: Dad became so cold, so distant... After you died...
Franny: I know, honey. Things have been so hard for you... But that's over now. Come here, Dren.
Dren: Sure.

Dren: Lyssa! Morgan! Are you alright?
Morgan: Uhhggg... Where am I? Mmm... Was I dreaming? I was with my sister, when we were kids...
Dren: Both of you, snap out of it! The Succubus had you in her spell! There's no time! Lyssa! Get ready!
Morgan: You! Show your true self, demon!
Dren: Wow, you must think I'm an idiot to fall for that crap, Succubus. Or maybe it's just you that's the idiot.
Franny: Is that any way to talk to your mother, brat?
Dren: Drop the act.
Franny: ...Tee hee. But it's so much fun! No matter. I have another game to play with you. In truth, I'm happy you broke free.

There's more taunting that basically amounts to "You broke free of my spell. I like that!" and then it's another boss fight.

Well, you get to skip the cutscene by getting bumped back to the save point, in case you die you don't have to watch it again. Also Dren's in the lead.

That pose looks... really uncomfortable. And impractical for combat.

Morgan sets up with a couple of stat boosts, then starts in with the Pummeling.

Surprise! The succubus has confusion abilities.

The assumption here is that Liliana is going to be the magic-based equivalent of Francis's focus on physical attacks. So Dren uses normal sword hits to charge up Mass Aura Boost and buff everyone's magic defense. Liliana can remove it and Morgan can buff her own, hence the uneven levels on everyone. I don't have a MAT debuff to drop Liliana's spell power directly, but buffing defense works pretty good.

And that's that.

First things, put Lyssa back in front. The party rearrange threw off muscle memory for choosing menu options I didn't even realize I had.

I retreat to Favros before floor 3 and restock my healing items. I'd stocked up on 99 Hams before that floor, and went through nearly half of them from all the traps and monsters.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:24 am

This LP is the most cathartic thing to read while I'm between hellstorms at work. A+.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:03 pm

I had intended to pack a thumb drive with all my screen captures on it and take it with me to Arizona for the week I was there. While my wife and her side of the family share photos, I could transcribe the script for this LP and upload everything all at once when I got back to a place with wifi.

But I didn't. Whoops.

Anyway. We're in the middle of Garax's castle, remember? We just finished floor 2 of... however many floors there are, and defeated the succubus who was very, very fond of spike traps.

Regrettably, I cannot be here to welcome you in person.
However, please come in!
Should you find all four switches (I promise you they're not as hard as the previous floor) feel free to stop by my chambers, we're always happy to have guests!
Just remember to wipe your feet before you go through the above door, I just got done cleaning the whole place!
-- Emelia

The first floor is a maze filled with monsters, the second floor a maze filled with traps. This one is a maze filled with... uh, banquet halls and libraries and guest rooms.
And everywhere are Emelia's signs, cheerfully inviting you to take your time and explore.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Not "Fight!" but "Adopt!"

Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: Oh my, you're going to adopt me?! Yaaay! I'm so happy!
Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: But... Your weapons are a little scary! Would you mind dropping them?

Drop weapons / No

Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: Yay, that's better! Don't worry, we're going to have a wonderful life together!
Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: Oh, but. Would you mind kicking your weapons over here, to me? It's still kinda scary.

Kick them over / No

Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: Hurray! I'm so happy! Soon we'll be living together, in happiness, forever!
Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: But, oh. I forgot to mention, your armor is kind of scary too. Would you take it off?

Yes / No

Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: Thanks! You look better in normal clothes anyway. I can't wait to move into your house and have fun playing with you everyday! In fact, can we start playing right now? Why don't you turn around, facing away from me, and count to ten? And I'll go hide!

Yes / No

Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: Yay, thank you!
Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: Hey, wait a minute, you're still peeking! No fair! I can't hide if you're still looking! Come on, just close your eyes! Please?

Yes / No

Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: Yay, thank you! I promise, I'll hide quick... It'll all be over soon...
Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: ...
Perfectly Innocent Little Girl: WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU?! ARE YOU STUPID?!

Girl: You're in a castle like this and you really thought I was a real lost little girl you could adopt? You must be a real idiot! I almost killed you, you know!
Girl: And I totally would have, but... Nobody's ever been nice enough to play with me before...
Girl: Hey, I'm sorry for trying to trick you. You guys seem nice. This is what I really look like.

Trick Ogre: Hey. You're probably thinking I'm just a monster who tried to murder you, huh.

You're really just lonely / You really just want a friend.

Trick Ogre: How... How did you know? Man, you guys... You're making me misty... Nobody has ever talked to me like this before... *sniff* *sniff* You guys are something else!
Trick Ogre: I hate to ask this after I tried to trick you, but... Would you guys adopt me? Like, for real? I hate this castle, everyone is so mean to me... I promise I'll be good.

You can stay with Izzy and Sam / You can stay at Lyssa's house

Trick Ogre: Favros, huh... But it sounds fun to have a friend to play with! I'm sure Izzy and I will have a lot of fun! My name is Ogeru, by the way.
Ogeru: Here's my monster medal and treasure, I don't need them anymore.
(Received Ogre Club, and a Monster Medal!)
Ogeru: Thanks so much for taking me in. You don't know how much this means to me. Okay! See you later, then! Good luck!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:25 pm

If only I could talk all the wandering monsters out of their evil misdeeds. We can check in on Izzy and Ogeru later.

...I hope.

Wow, those are really nice.

The harpies have let up somewhat in favor of "more difficult" monsters, typically demons that do direct HP damage instead of confusing or locking down the whole party -- hence the sarcastic quotes.

Angaraxasak makes his minions pony up for dungeon treasure out of their own salaries? He really is a villain. And a cheapskate. And that explains why it's so rare to find anything better than a hunk of cheese anywhere.

It is, in fact.

I'll grant I didn't see the personal bedchambers of the first two dungeon mini-bosses, but... this is not what I expected.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Achievement unlocked: Inside Joke

Emelia: I am Emelia, the Third Floor Guardian. Though I guess my full title would be "Battle-Maid Emelia!", hee hee. I was given vacation by our previous Master, for as long as I wanted, so don't worry, I won't be fighting you. Besides, I've got everything I need right here, living with Mona and Jules.

One of the signs on this floor complained about the dragon motif, in favor of replacing them all with cats instead. Does Emelia know that all the student witches in this castle use cats as thrown weapons in battle? Morgan is covered head to toe in catscratch by now.

Emelia: I never enjoyed fighting in the first place, unless you mean the fight against dirt! In that war, I am on the front lines every day!

A maid in the Favros library told me that broom-elemental attacks are effective against dust-type creatures. Does that help? No, never mind, surely you've figured that out already.

Emelia: Feel free to make yourself at home, humans! If you want, you can use the teleporter there to go to the Shrine outside the castle. Once you use it from here, it'll unlock the pad that leads back to my room, so you can visit town and stuff.
Emelia: Oh, but be careful around my kitties, won't you? They're awfully fond of attention.

Aw yiss mid-dungeon exit teleporter. Thanks, Emelia! I think I'd better go check in and make sure Ogeru wasn't playing another trick on us.

Sam: He's been great. Especially with Izzy. And he helps out around the house! Just... Please don't adopt any Ghosts, okay, sis!
Morgan: You got it.

Morgan: Hey, honey! Are you getting along with Ogeru okay?
Izzy: Are you kidding? He's the best! We went out exploring earlier, and found six different kinds of bugs! And then he ate them. That part was kinda gross, but cool!
Morgan: It sounds like you're having fun.
Izzy: I'm teaching him how to draw, too! And Auntie Sam is showing him how to cook!
Morgan: That's great, sweetie.
Izzy: I love you, mommy.
Morgan: I love you too, sweetie.

Izzy: Ogeru says that if I'm good, he'll show me how to crush Lyssa's Dark Hand with a move called Ogre Pummel!
Lyssa: We'll see about that.

Okay. Izzy and Sam are safe. Safer than they've ever been, I expect, now that Isabelle Kastel is now officially the least-bullied child in the city of Favros.

Ogeru: She's a great kid, Morgan.
Morgan: Yeah, I know. You been getting along okay here?
Ogeru: Yeah, I sure have! Everyone is super nice to me. There was a little trouble at first, but... They seemed to warm up to me after I helped some Templar out on patrol. Captain Stonelark even made me an honorary Templar!

...Instantly quadrupling the military might of the Templar stationed in Favros. I'm pretty sure I checked and Mr. Captain-Pants doesn't have so much as a "Hey, thanks for sending us a tower of fangs and muscles to help out with the local bandits" or anything.

Morgan: That's great!
Ogeru: I know! I've been going out with the Templar more and helping out. When I'm not busy getting cooking lessons from Sam or drawing lessons from Izzy, of course! Ha ha ha!

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:31 pm

A shortcut back to Favros is valuable in no small part because it lets me revisit the upgraded weapon and armor shop and spend the money I've earned in the SO. MANY. RANDOM. ENCOUNTERS in this huge dungeon I'm only halfway through.
Dren gets upgraded from his super-heavy armor into the lighter stuff that lets him not always go last in a fight.
Morgan upgrades from... uh, magic robes into the same armor Dren is wearing, because most of the stuff I've found has been either really heavy plate mail or mage robes. I think she was still wearing the Spidersilk Cloak I found in the spider cave way back when.
Lyssa is still a super-mage but could still stand to upgrade her robes and wizard hat. The passive "no ambushes" ability from the Staff of Eyes far outweighing another couple of points to her MAT from a new staff, or even -- and it's hard to believe I'm saying this -- keeping her MAT equal with a new wand and picking up a shield.

Emelia: I think you should take the teleporter and leave. You might be able to get past the fourth floor Guardian, but the fifth is another matter... The Fifth Floor Guardian's actually stronger than the Master. The current Master, that is. The Fifth Floor Guardian has to obey the Master's orders, though. That's just the way it is.

Talk to Emelia again, and you get the chance to fight with her. But she doesn't like fighting, so instead...

Emelia: We'll give any ties to the cats, I think that's fair.
Emelia: On your mark... Get ready... Get set... GO!

Emelia: Ramona, with 3 pellets! Good job, Ramona! Julian, with 17 pellets! Great work, Julian! And Lyssa with 9 pellets! Our winner is... Julian! Great job, Julian, and a great race by all!

I didn't take thorough enough screenshots to go back and count, but I'm like 75% certain that fewer pellets appear to be collected than Julian finds. No matter how well you do, you can't win, and can't try again.

Well, moving on.

Pale Man: Welcome, humans... To my domain. My name is Lord Orstat. Please, come in. My lovely servants are so eager to meet you... What beautiful music they make... My children of the night...
Orstat: ...Hee hee hee. Ha ha ha! Mwhahahaha!!!

And Orstat vanishes.

Dren: I don't know if I am gonna be able to handle this. I just hope there aren't dental puns.
Morgan: Does he not know that humans write like ten-thousand vampire fanfics per nanosecond?
Lyssa: Ooooh! Oooh! Morgan, what's your favorite?! Mine's 'Dusk'.
Morgan: Dusk sucks.
Lyssa: YOU suck!
Dren: Lyssa, I thought your favorite was 'Sword'. You know, with that sniper guy.
Morgan: 'Sword' was pretty good. Didn't like the sequels.
Lyssa: Some mother bloodsuckers are always trying to iceskate uphill.

The theme for this level is that there are skeletons walking around. Shame I already used that Achewood comic in the update with Keretos. If you run into a skeleton...

No surprise. These guys are either worth 0 EXP and gold or worth so little that they're not worth the time and effort to fight. They even come back after you beat them.

This is the level that throws in the "flagrant unnecessary switchback paths just to get you to get into more random encounters" school of dungeon design, too.

So, weird thing, right? The skeletons can be set up in tricky patrols, but not one of them is worse than the blue flames from two floors ago. Even with the breather level on the third floor, the difficulty spikes early on and then mellows out as you go higher.

Thanks, treasure hunter gloves.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Orstat: As a reward for making it to me, would you care to join me for a drink?
Dren: Lyssa and I are too young to drink, actually. But you go ahead, knock yourself out.
Orstat: I do not drink...
...wine.
Dren: We know you're a vampire.
Orstat: What! No. I'm not a -- I could be a werewolf! I could --
Orstat: *sigh* Fine. What gave it away?
Lyssa: Like, everything? I mean, your name, for one. You might as well call yourself "Dracuferatu".
Orstat: That's actually not bad.
Lyssa: See, this is the problem. All you guys are so obsessed with being "vampire" that you just give the game away.
Orstat: Impudent mortal! You are, by far, the most irritating human that I have ever... Well, actually, nobody's made it this far before.

Yeah, about that. What do you guys do all day -- or all night, in your case, I guess -- since the first floor guardian takes care of anyone who makes it through the pass and the badlands and the poison swamps to get here in the first place? Emelia keeps the place clean and the succubus presumably spends a lot of time oiling all the switches and keeping the springs wound for her traps, but like... what do you do to pass the time?

Orstat: Are all humans like you?
Dren: Well, Lyssa isn't human,

Three-quarters human.

Dren: so she doesn't count. But no.
Orstat: Ah. I see. I was wondering about the huge ears.

Dren's "Oh, now you've done it" is interrupted by the fight whoosh, and...

"Dren uses physical attacks until he can bust out the partywide defense buff, Morgan tries to debuff with claw moves, and Lyssa alternates between exploiting elemental weaknesses and healing" is a pretty solid strategy.

It doesn't fail me here, either.

Familiar tinkly music plays.

Lyssa: Hey! What the heck?!
Orstat: Oh, don't give me that! You guys do that crap all the time! Here I come, round two!

"Dren uses physical attacks until he can bust out the partywide defense buff, Morgan tries to debuff with claw moves, and Lyssa alternates between exploiting elemental weaknesses and healing" is a pretty solid strategy.

Orstat: Master! Forgive me, I've failed you! Aaaaaaaarrrrgggghhh...

Morgan: He died like he lived.
Morgan: Being dead.
Lyssa: Not bad, Morg. 8.5/10
Dren: I'm just glad nobody said anything about teeth.

Next time: We do not turn back!

Friday

Postby Friday » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:05 am

you're the first person I know of to use claws beyond just testing them out briefly, so it's nice to know they work well.
ImageImageImage

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:19 pm

I will finish this LP one day I promise

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:00 am

I believe
ImageImageImage

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:23 pm

More

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 pm

It's time.

Uh... what was I doing again?

Um... so our party of... uh... Clarissa? Something like that? And that guy, and... uh, what's-her-name... we're in some kind of fire dungeon...

Where there's a... waitress...

Man what did I even order, it's been so long.

Oh, right.

It comes in a convenient little carry-out baggie. I guess I don't have to worry about my food getting cold when I'm walking through a lava dungeon, either.

There's, uh, a maze. With locked doors, and monsters, and...

A dragon.

Dragon: I suppose you've come to fight.
Lyssa: With your boss, really.
Dragon: Of course. I'm not surprised, what with him making this army. Only a matter of time before someone showed up, really.
Dragon: I am Kaitehylazaste. You can call me Kate.
Kate: The truth is, I hate fighting and would prefer to just read novels all day. You know, maybe take a short flight to a beautiful mountain vista, take in the views, stretch out in the grass under a tree with a nice book about vampire romance.

Oh, hey. Have you read "Dusk"? Middling reviews, as I recall.

Kate: But, sad to say, I have my orders. I don't suppose I could convince you to turn around and go home? Best thing for everyone, I promise you.
Lyssa: You know, you don't look so tough.
Kate: ...Oh, this form? No no, I shrink myself down to look like this. It's a lot easier to move around in. THIS is what I really look like.

Kate: SO YEAH. JUST TURN AROUND NOW, AND NOBODY HAS TO GET HURT. REALLY, I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT YOU.
Lyssa: I'm sorry, really. We don't have to fight, if you don't want. But we do need to get past you.
Kate: OH, MAN. WHY'D YOU HAVE TO GO AND SAY -THAT-. SORRY ABOUT THIS.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:37 pm

Hopeless boss fight.

Lyssa takes the full brunt, since she plinked an attack spell off of Kate's scaly hide. Dren is defending and Morgan used a defensive buff stance, so they actually survived!

But you can't win by defending, so it's only a matter of time.

Man I haven't picked this game up in three months and the first thing that happens is an unwinnable boss fight and get thrown in jail this game sucks 2/10

(Okay fine I finished the game three months ago and just haven't posted anything but look, shut up.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Lyssa: Roman! What are you doing here?!
Morgan: Look! He's got a key in his mouth!
Dren: What?

He's super good at holding things in his mouth, remember.

Lyssa: Good boy, Roman! Give it here!
Dren: Please tell me we're not being rescued by this dog.

I didn't get a clean screenshot, so it's blocked by the text box here, but Roman has edged over to the side of the hole in the corner of the hallway.

Morgan: NO ROMAN!
Lyssa: It's too late! The lure is too powerful! He's gonna jump!

Dren: Dumb dog! Now what are we gonna do?!
Lyssa: Wait! Look! He dropped the key before he jumped! I can juuuuust... Reach it! Got it!

Opening the door doesn't turn on the lights or anything, you just finish your night's rest before leaving the cell.