HOW WAS YOUR DAY

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: HOW WAS YOUR DAY

Postby IGNORE ME » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:57 pm

I can tell the difference but it's sort of academic; most games aren't DESIGNED to run at over 60 fps, because consoles. So the effect is just a little bit like watching a 24fps movie on one of those "smoothing" televisions: jarring and not really better, unless you're playing specifically an FPS and want the extra frames for (theoretically) more precise movement and aiming. That said, you probably don't accidentally have a 120+Hz monitor unless you bought a Gaming Monitor for Gamers, because I doubt anybody else cares.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:08 am

Once you're pregnant, you've got to be careful about... pretty much everything. Including hair dye. So my wife told her stylist that the bleach is off-limits until at least the end of the first trimester.

My wife has not told pretty much anyone on her side of the family she's pregnant yet; she's waiting for her brother to visit from out of state to make an announcement to everyone in person all at once.

My wife and my sister-in-law get their hair did at the same stylist.

My sister-in-law is pretty mad now.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:54 pm

The "Sir! Sir! Your Windows Computer... etc" scam callers have been bombarding our number lately for some reason, so I've been having a lot of fun with the routine of pretending to be an old man who thinks his microwave is the "computer". Best time so far is 4:32. Still trying to unlock the "Find a way to work the 'baked potato' button into the conversation" achievement, though.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:53 pm

Today we broke Production by opening a text file.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:16 pm

Went to plead guilty on a double traffic ticket today (Starr and I both got one each), hoping for a reduced fine/lesser charge.

They dropped the tickets completely without me even asking. Uh... Okay! Yeah sure!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:14 pm

Someone in the building across the street died, because there's a pile of cop cars and a police forensics truck parked out front. Can't find any information on breaking news or police blotters, so dunno what happened.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:20 pm

Mongrel wrote:Someone in the building across the street died, because there's a pile of cop cars and a police forensics truck parked out front. Can't find any information on breaking news or police blotters, so dunno what happened.

Found out what happened. Murder-suicide of a 56-year-old father and his 6-year-old son. Geez. :(

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:25 pm

God damn.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:26 pm

There was just enough in the papers for it to be horrifying and sad, but vague enough to leave too much to the imagination.

There's no pics, so I just wonder if it was anyone I'd recognize wandering around the neighbourhood, at the grocery store, and so on.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:49 pm

I saw a news van out front when I was leaving for my bike ride. Looked like a reporter was getting ready to do a segment for the 6PM news.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 pm

Yeah, when I went out earlier just about every news service in town had a van out there. Was it the City TV guys you saw? They had two vans and one of those mobile transmission towers.

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Within fifteen minutes of arriving at my in-laws', the toilet overflowed.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:37 pm

That sounds like an entry in a "very short stories" contest

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:25 am

Phoenix, Arizona is goddamn amazing. There is precipitation falling from the sky right now and the sidewalks are dry, because the water evaporates faster than it rains.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:24 am

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:00 am

nosimpleway wrote:Phoenix, Arizona is goddamn amazing. There is precipitation falling from the sky right now and the sidewalks are dry, because the water evaporates faster than it rains.

It was dry yesterday before the clouds blew in. Now the moisture's caught up and it's good and muggy again; if it rains tonight, it won't be evaporating before it hits the ground. (That's an "if". It's not unusual for big dark stormclouds to slowly drift through for a week without any rain ever actually coming down.)

We had a serious storm last week; knocked over trees, flooded the zoo so it had to be closed for a few days for repairs, that kinda thing. Took me 75 minutes to drive home from work that evening (it's usually around 30), mainly because there were a couple traffic signals on the way that were out but no police had arrived to direct traffic yet. (Everybody was driving a lot safer than I'm used to seeing in a rainstorm in this town, but it was still slow going.) The way the weather's been the last few days, I thought that might have been our last monsoon for the year, but the way it feels out there now is suggesting we might have a couple left yet.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:52 pm

One of my dad's worst habits is that he basically has to be at death's door before he goes to the doctor (for context, he turned 60 this year). It's not like he's afraid of doctors or has to pay anything or has ever been the macho "Gotta walk this off" type, so I'll never quite know why that is, but he just drags his ass and says he's fine.

He's been coughing for six months, since he had bronchitis last winter, though less so the last two months - all that time we kept telling him to go get himself checked out. He started having really bad chest pains and so finally went.

Turned out he's had pneumonia for who knows how many months now.

GO TO THE DOCTOR, DAD, FFS.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm

If he's anything like my dad he'll now take about half of the prescription over twice the treatment time then decide he's fine.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm

He at least takes his meds. He grumbles about "taking pills", but he takes them as ordered.

Now I'm reminded of the second time he had kidney stones. He drove himself to the hospital and got there fine, but based on the amount of pain he was in there was probably a 40% or more chance he could have passed out on the way there.

On the other hand, when he does go the doctor he's almost like a kid. Like he asked me to get his x-rays so he could send them to his brother, like "Hey, check this out!".

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Today was the wurst.