Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Game musings and news

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:09 pm

atog

Postby atog » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:23 pm

Microsoft teams up with COH guys for Age of Empires IV

As well as spiffed-up graphics and sound files for the first 3 Age games (sadly no AOM).
The biggest hurdle will be having to install Rootkit 10, but maybe they've finally balanced the huns/France/Russia :p
Placeholder for something witty that doesn't make me sound like an asshole

Lyrai

Postby Lyrai » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:33 am

THEY'RE REMAKING SECRET OF MANA FOR THE PS4 PSVITA AND STEAM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Image Image Image

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:36 am

Well, I was going to go to sleep, but guess I'm just going to listen to an hour or two of Fear of the Heavens.

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:08 am

What, you mean I bought this multitap for nothing Bomberman?

I can't say as I think the game really needs voices, but there's plenty of room for improvement. Rebalancing bosses, adding shortcuts for spellcasting, and, most obviously, improving ally AI. (Though, again, ideally I'll have two other people to play it with and won't have to worry about that last one. Dunno; tried to get my wife into it a few years ago and it didn't do it for her, but maybe once my nephew's old enough to play it she'll be more into playing with him. Or possibly I'll just have to wait until my niece is old enough to play it too.)

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:46 am

Well sure I mean ideally they'd go back to the initial design documents and put in everything that got cut from the original to fit it onto the SNES cartridge, presumably including bug testing.

(I'd peg probabilities of that happening at or near 0 but hey.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:54 am

Yeah, I don't see that happening, but some kind of middle-ground quality-of-life improvements seem like they'd be within the realm of possibility.

BTW here's the English version of the video:

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Somehow I missed King Truffle being held in Flammie's tail the first couple times.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Standing there holding the button while it charges up eight bars for a super can definitely fuck off, so I certainly hope they're doing a teardown of the mechanics.

LaserBeing

Postby LaserBeing » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:45 pm

I doubt they're going to do any drastic mechanical overhauls. Adventures of Mana was more or less a straight port of the original Game Boy FFA with updated graphics and music, and this looks like it's going to be along the same lines.

It'd be cool as hell to have online co-op though...

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Yeah, I don't think the Square half of Square Enix has released a port that was anything other than a fresh coat of paint since the DS era.

OTOH, voices and a new localization suggest this is at least a little more effort and expense than they usually put in.

Postby Newbie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:19 pm

Thad wrote:Yeah, I don't think the Square half of Square Enix has released a port that was anything other than a fresh coat of paint since the DS era.

As far as FFXII is concerned, The Zodiac Age (the tweaked version they just released recently) did have some mechanical changes from the International Zodiac Job System (the previous game version that it most resembles), namely the ability to equip two jobs per character and a balance pass to ease game difficulty, as well as a partial bifurcation of main game vs. trial mode so that you can switch back and forth.

One cool thing I hadn't seen mentioned before about the Secret of Mana remake—look at the gameplay screenshot on this page: it looks like the minimap uses scaled-down versions of the original tilesets!

As a kid, I was actually scared of video games. If I was going to play, I only wanted to play as Player 2, and usually only stuff that didn't require dexterity... but then I got Secret of Mana. In 4th grade, I'd bring it over to my friend's house, and we'd play through it together—until finally, it was time to go find the Mana Tree. We had to stop playing for the day so I could go home, but after I got home I resumed playing by myself. I didn't save my progress that night, but just playing through that area and reaching the Mana Tree on my own... that was a turning point.
tiny text

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Apperently FFXV PC is 170 Gigs. Hopefully this is bloat of some kind but if this is any indication of file size with 4k assets miss me with that shit.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:51 pm

Joxam wrote:Apperently FFXV PC is 170 Gigs.

Holeeeeee sheeeet.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Joxam wrote:Apperently FFXV PC is 170 Gigs. Hopefully this is bloat of some kind but if this is any indication of file size with 4k assets miss me with that shit.

Update: No it's not.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:01 pm

All of those stats are insane. 11GB VRAM?! WTF?

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:26 pm

... yes, the update with the quote says quite clearly that those are the specs of the demo unit they're running it on at Gamescom, not the recommended requirements for a home computer.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:24 am

Also remember that the recommended specs for a game that's supposed to be able to run in 8k is going to be pretty beefy even at release.