A Magical Gathering

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: A Magical Gathering

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:30 pm

The class action suit brought by judges who wanted to be treated as employees has been tossed out in preliminaries.

They have until Sept 23rd to refile, but the crux of the dismissal is that all Judges are volunteers free to walk away at any time, so I don't see how they can meaningfully bring it back.

EDIT: Apparently this is only one of several such cases? Huh.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:44 pm

I thought the reason it was tossed out was because they didn't file it properly.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:50 am

That's part of it, but the Ars Technica article about this particular case said the Judge tossed that one mostly on merits.

Grath

Postby Grath » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:12 am

Worth noting, apparently this is one of two lawsuits about judges being employees and the more serious one is still in progress.

Büge

Postby Büge » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Using the word "guard" twice in a sentence? Come on, Wizards.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:09 pm

MTG Flavour text

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm

"Within silent clearings guarded by living palisades, the natural world guards its most precious secrets."

wow, I can't believe they're hinting at the sixth color again
ImageImageImage

Friday

Postby Friday » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:37 pm

BECAUSE PURPLE PROSE JESUS CHRIST WOTC
ImageImageImage

Cait

Postby Cait » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:58 pm

Yeah. 'Guard' twice would be fine in something that was trying to do a simile or analogy or whatnot where half the sentence is intended to mirror the other, but there it's just lazy.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am

Grath

Postby Grath » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:27 pm

Mongrel wrote:Guess who plays MTG?

Someone with, as far as I can tell, no connection to Richard Nixon?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:03 pm

Whoa cool!

Postby Newbie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:37 pm

The fact that the Earthbind faerie gets to just dust off her hands is delightful. I love this.
tiny text

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:38 am

*chuckle*

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:13 pm

Remember TO monopoly granted to CFB? Well, some interesting policies have the contract for working their events as a judge are completely ridiculous.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgjudge/comme ... ur_public/

"9.1 Without prejudice to its obligations under this Agreement or otherwise at law, Contractor must maintain, with a well-established insurer of good reputation, a public liability insurance policy covering each and every claim or series of claims originating from any cause of action occurring at the GP."
"9.3 Contractor must maintain the required public liability insurance from the date of this Agreement and for two years following the termination of this Agreement. "

Suddenly all judges are required to keep liability insurance to work their GPs and keep it for at least two years after the event for some fucking reason.

"12.3 Contractor will not at any time during the Agreement, or within three (3) months of its termination, directly or indirectly entice away or try to entice away from tournamentcenter or its clients any employee of tournamentcenter working in a managerial, financial, technical, sales or marketing capacity who was employed by tournamentcenter or its clients at the date of such enticement or attempt and who was known to the Contractor by reason of or in connection with this Agreement."

This means that for 3 months after working one of their GPs, I cannot promote any competing tournament that happens to conflict with a Grand Prix like a PPTQ for example.

Also, it is being applied according to Belgian law??? WTF???

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:24 pm

MaRo mentioned it, so our buddy Monty Ashley was finally able to reveal that he worked on the design team for Unstable, the only card set he ever participated in designing in his 13-odd years with Wizards.

We've known for years that he'd written the flavour text on a number of older cards (most of which are actually clever and/or amusing, unlike most flavour text. The example I always remember is Naya Battlemage), but this was pretty cool. He'd been sitting on the news for over five years and had no idea when, if ever, he'd be able to reveal it, so he's pretty excited himself. To say nothing of seeing actual cards he created in a real (well, "real") MTG set.

As it is, it's been long enough that he has no idea how much of his work will be in the set as printed, but he's supposed to tell us which cards are his once the spoiler hits. Might get some other interesting stories too!

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:10 pm

First contraptions spoilers

Well, this is clearly some weird shit. I approve.

Postby Newbie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 am

The more I've thought about it, the more I like it. The terminology we've had for more than a decade now had some pretty clear implications: "assemble a contraption" clearly parallels with "cast a spell", so contraptions need to be different from spells in a fundamental way for this to be a meaningful distinction. My assumption was that they'd be cards without mana costs that were just shuffled into the library normally, but the "library" specifically corresponding to magical techniques while contraptions reside in a unique contraption deck has a logic to it. Similarly, the sprocket progression limits contraptions to functioning once every three turns, barring the existence of cards that interact with sprockets—there's gotta be at least one, right?—and this guarantees contraptions operate in a manner that is at least somewhat orthogonal to traditional Magic.

I want to see a more thorough explanation of how contraptions work, how other cards can interact with them, etc. We can infer the basic functions of the engine they've constructed, but we have no evidence of its limits or true capabilities. MORE CARDS. MORE.
tiny text

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:45 am

More revelations from Maro: There's a "contraption deck".

I'd wager "assemble a contraption" means something like "draw the top card of your contraption deck and put it in play".