Game of Thrones: The TV Show

Spooky Skeleton

Re: Game of Thrones: The TV Show

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Friday wrote:GENDRY'S BACK BITCHES AND HE'S GOT A FUCKOFF CARTOON HUGE HAMMER AND SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE "that's not realistically sized" AND I'M LIKE HAVE YOU SEEN HOW FUCKING HANDSOME GENDRY IS MAYBE HE'LL MARRY ARYA AND THEN I CAN DIE HAPPY

also, Jamie is gonna have to kill his unborn child that sucks

Gilly continues to be the best GoT female character

Well...

Okay but--

That hammer is really fucking stupid looking though!

It looks like something from a bad video game, Friday; a bad one.

malikial

Postby malikial » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 pm

beatbandito wrote:I was getting used to the 'dumb > fight > repeat' episode rotation of the season, but damn if this fight episode wasn't dumb too.

Nothing takes the gas out of the upcoming struggle against an unmanageable foe like suddenly making Snow able to fight a white walker one-on-one with a clear advantage, when last time he was against them a fucking wight was knocking him around like the Hulk trying to pet a rabbit

Um... In season 5 Episode 8 when John fights the white walker he went note for note with it BAREHANDED while it had a weapon and then the moment he drew Long-claw, he killed it with a single textbook parry/counter attack maneuver. The White Walkers have never shown themselves to be skilled fighters, they kill everyone because non-magic weapons BREAK when they hit them.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:57 pm

https://youtu.be/CmYbkn_jQMs Not embedding because for some reason just changing from a youtu.be link sometimes takes forever on my phone to work.

Jon gets brushed aside and flies through the house, then gets hit in the chest and knocked down a floor into his back and clutches his chest in pain when he starts to recover. The only time the hit didn't completely stun Jon is when he braces with one of the two materials that can impact them. Which is less issues than they had the first time walkers showed up.

This time these guys are using their own weapons, one is totally untrained in combat and comes to a "stab them with glass" fight with a fucking steel hammer, and have less trouble than the Lannisters did with the dothraki. which is exactly my point. We keep hearing about these unbeatable demons that will overwhelm anyone and saw it once a while ago, but slowly and surely they're becoming beatable. I mean, fuck, even in the bastard bowl there were greater repercussions for Jon running out with his sword in one hand and dick in the other.

Spooky Skeleton

Postby Spooky Skeleton » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:57 pm

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:45 am

I would kind of prefer the White Walkers as a smaller army of indestructible fuckers but i guess fuck it we zombies now with a few indestructible fuckers on overwatch.

Most baffling is not the time compression, it's the space compression. They literally get a flying animal across the long side of Westeros and back before Jon Snow Dumbass of the North and his merry men are done eating Thoros.

Also, Sansa, honey, yes, Jon Snow is an idiot and shouldn't be in charge of anything larger than a fern. But your entire "military prowess" comes from Petyr Baelish being unable to prevent himself from constantly raiding your underwear drawer. Maybe think a bit before confronting your sister who has been raised by serial killers since the age of eight, she's just gonna flash Riddick eyes at you and threaten to turn you into a bird.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 am

zaratustra wrote:Most baffling is not the time compression, it's the space compression. They literally get a flying animal across the long side of Westeros and back before Jon Snow Dumbass of the North and his merry men are done eating Thoros.

Well, right, we're talking about the same thing: the amount of time it takes to travel from Point A to Point B on the show is "exactly the amount that's narratively convenient, regardless of how long it took last time". That goes for humans, horses, ravens, dragons, ships, whatever.

Which I guess at least keeps things moving. I'm not kidding when I say I think the reason GRRM has spent most of the last dozen years stalled out is that he cares about logistics and in a series like this they are very hard.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:08 pm

All the time compression/space compression shit beforehand pales in comparison to this episode.

Before, at least you could kind of just assume that weeks or even months had passed when Jon would teleport around in his boat. Now they've got Gendry running miles and miles back to the Wall, a Raven flying all the way to Dragonstone from the Wall, and Dany flying in on her kids to save everyone before they all froze to death. Like it literally only showed one night passing.

Also, what the fuck. Why did they decide to kill off the priest by freezing him to death instead of with the bear? At least have him die of his wounds or something.
ImageImageImage

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:47 am

I assume they showed he succumbed to his wounds and froze to death to show some passage of time, that everything described did not happen in literally one night.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:31 am

Okay, that's how it's done.

The show tends to get bogged down in plot twists and action setpieces. This episode had those (though no real surprises), but it remembered that what the show's really about is tense conversations. It took a lot of bullshit to finally get this season to where it was going, but it was worth the trip.

I was disappointed that we never found out about any deeper purpose from Littlefinger. I'm not sorry to see the weaselly fuck go, but between "what's the worst motive you can possibly imagine?" and a recitation of the almost-singularly-important role he's played in orchestrating the entire series, I wanted a little something more than just "he's an incurable asshole who wants to bang Sansa and rule Winterfell." I guess I can derive some amusement from the idea that he's possibly the single best player in the Game of Thrones but too small-minded to do anything about it, but it's pretty damn anticlimactic. Once again I find myself wondering how it'll play out in the books. (If I really want to take the "What's the worst motive I can imagine?" question to heart, it'd be "He's in league with the Night King." But that's a bit of a stretch.)

I also laughed out loud at Theon winning his big fight with the power of not having any balls.

And the Jon/Dany ship continues to be the weakest arc of the season. I mean, it's pretty clear the show's trying to squick us out what with the incest angle, but if they had the least bit of romantic chemistry, would that make it more off-putting, or less?

Quibbles aside, though, this was the best episode of the season, and it's not even close. (Though Diana Rigg's bow a few weeks back deserves an honorable mention.) This has been the homecoming season, the season that's all about characters who haven't seen each other in years meeting back up, and it hit so many perfect notes -- Tyrion and Pod, Tyrion and Bronn, Jaime and Brienne, Tyrion and Cersei, Jon and Theon...and, of course, the Brothers Clegane. Though they're still fucking teasing us with Cleganebowl.

Welp, that's it for this season. And, for the last time, we have a year to wonder if Martin will manage to put another book out before the show comes back.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:34 am

For the last time? Has it been confirmed that the next season of the show is the last season?

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:37 am

Yes.

Though there are some potential spinoffs.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:45 am

Adding: you know, it's interesting to consider that in an episode where somebody's throat got cut and a zombie dragon melted Eastwatch, the nastiest piece of violence was a fist-fight.

Grath

Postby Grath » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:31 am

Also also, the action was kinda confusing at the end but Tormund better not be dead, he still needs to make giant babies with Brienne.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:30 am

I think we can probably count on the "no body = not dead" rule.

Meanwhile, say, did Lyanna say Jon's name was Aegon, or Aemon? I like the idea that he was named after Maester Aemon.

Couple quick thoughts on ongoing fan theories:

Tyrion is the son of the Mad King: There's evidence for this (he's seemingly immune to greyscale and the dragons don't attack him), but there's a definite downside to revealing another main character as a secret Targaryen. It'd feel a little bit like the "also, Leia is your sister" reveal.

Bran is the Night King: Seems like a stretch, but it would at least give direction to Bran's arc, which at this point consists entirely of delivering exposition.

Cersei is faking her pregnancy: Plausible; I can see why she'd mislead Tyrion about it to manipulate him, but I'm not entirely sure what her motivation would be in lying to Jaime about it. The show hasn't harped as much on the witch's prophecy as the books do, but it explicitly stated she would have three children. (The show's already violated this, though; remember, she had a child with Robert who died in infancy. (In the books, she conceives a child with Robert but aborts it, so the "three children" prophecy holds at least up to this point.) Whether that's a significant change indicating that the show's willing to play fast and loose with the prophecy -- we have already had one character call out a witch's prophecy as potentially unreliable in this episode -- is unclear at this point. Remember that a lot of inconsistencies in the show can be explained away with "well, it's different in the books" -- for example, the answer to the "Why doesn't Sansa tell Jon that the Knights of the Vale are coming before the Battle of the Bastards?" question from last season is "Because in the books, she's not going to be there to tell him that, because she's not the character who gets sent to Winterfell to marry Ramsay.")

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:57 am

Thad wrote:I was disappointed that we never found out about any deeper purpose from Littlefinger.

I dunno, it's nice to have one guy that thinks he's a great manipulative mastermind but is really only kind of good at buttering rich people up, and whose amazing stealthy plan immediately folds the moment anyone is actually paying attention to him.

Thad wrote:Meanwhile, say, did Lyanna say Jon's name was Aegon, or Aemon? I like the idea that he was named after Maester Aemon.

Subtitles say the former, and also solves the problem of the missing Aegon from the books from what I understand.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:43 am

Welp, my most hated character finally got what he deserved, and strangely, part of me is sad. Not because he didn't go out like a magnificent bastard or anything. He died begging and deserved no better. I guess... I just, on some level, felt sorry for him. He got countless people killed, but somewhere in there, like Sansa said, he really did love her, and her mom. But he was, in my opinion, the greatest monster on the show. Yes, even moreso than Ramsey, Cersei and Joffrey.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:32 am

zaratustra wrote:
Thad wrote:Meanwhile, say, did Lyanna say Jon's name was Aegon, or Aemon? I like the idea that he was named after Maester Aemon.

Subtitles say the former, and also solves the problem of the missing Aegon from the books from what I understand.

Yeah, the show has mentioned Rhaegar and Elia's son but I don't recall it ever explicitly stating that his name was Aegon.

And we've heard enough about Aegon the Conqueror that it makes more sense than calling him "Jaehaerys" or something more obscure. I still think I like "Aemon" better but I guess that would be a little too cute.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:11 pm

Adding:

zaratustra wrote:
Thad wrote:I was disappointed that we never found out about any deeper purpose from Littlefinger.

I dunno, it's nice to have one guy that thinks he's a great manipulative mastermind but is really only kind of good at buttering rich people up, and whose amazing stealthy plan immediately folds the moment anyone is actually paying attention to him.

I mean, kinda, but the thing is he is a great manipulative mastermind. Littlefinger is directly responsible for several of the most important events that have happened over the course of the series.

There are four inciting events that are responsible for everything that's happened since:

1. The White Walkers appear beyond the Wall.
2. Jon Arryn is murdered. Catelyn Stark receives a letter from her sister implicating the Lannisters.
3. Daenerys Targaryen is married off to Khal Drogo, and gifted 3 dragon eggs.
4. Someone makes an attempt on Bran's life. Again, the Lannisters are implicated.

Littlefinger is responsible for two of those. (There's some ambiguity on #4 in the books; it could have been Joffrey. But the show seems to have come down solidly on the "it was Littlefinger" side.) And that's before we even get into his role in Ned's capture and Joffrey's assassination.

Having his story end in "nah, he's actually not very good at this after all" is satisfying in its own way, but his sudden incompetence contradicts everything that's built up to this point, in much the same way that Cersei's sudden competence does. This is a guy who's played everybody, Stark, Lannister, Arryn, and Bolton, who worked his way up from nothing to Warden of the East. Seeing him go down so pathetically is satisfying because he's such a sniveling shit, but narratively it means, what? That he was just the luckiest motherfucker alive until suddenly he wasn't anymore because somebody needed to die in the finale? This is one time where I'd have at least liked to hear the villain give an over-the-top monologue about his motivation and his evil plans before he died.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:28 pm

oh god I just thought of a "Petyr Principle" joke and now I hate myself.

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:10 am

Thad wrote:Having his story end in "nah, he's actually not very good at this after all" is satisfying in its own way, but his sudden incompetence contradicts everything that's built up to this point, in much the same way that Cersei's sudden competence does. This is a guy who's played everybody, Stark, Lannister, Arryn, and Bolton, who worked his way up from nothing to Warden of the East. Seeing him go down so pathetically is satisfying because he's such a sniveling shit, but narratively it means, what? That he was just the luckiest motherfucker alive until suddenly he wasn't anymore because somebody needed to die in the finale? This is one time where I'd have at least liked to hear the villain give an over-the-top monologue about his motivation and his evil plans before he died.

It didn't strike me as "he's not very good at this after all", there was a deleted scene where Bran was like "nah Sansa, he's totally a douche" which is what made her realize what he's been up to all along. So it's more just "well conveniently our brother is now autistic but he can see the past and we'll consider that conclusive proof of your crimes"