Barefoot and Pregnant

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Re: Barefoot and Pregnant

Postby Brantly B. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 pm

I skimmed. Some of his points have value (mainly along the lines of "If you keep trying to force diversity on [white] men you'll end up with [people like me]; maybe try understanding why there's resistance and work with that") but it's peppered with pseudoscience and that ever-so-popular Moderation=Centrism fallacy.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:42 pm

(apologies to FaceBrontos reading this twice)

That bit about women being less ambitious/success-driven than men really bugged me. Like, have you met my wife? Or my coworkers? Or even my old raid team?

After venting on Facebook, my boss suggested I'm mischaracterized the guy and that I should give him a read. Except 1) I'm not too eager to listen to anyone who cites "biological differences" to not hire women, 2) especially when they take nearly 4,000 words to say it. I may as well read my SolidWorks notes; about as long, more useful, and better written.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 am

Good to know about your boss, though.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 am

TA wrote:Good to know about your boss, though.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:49 am

Not to dwell on it, but it's... complicated with him. He's otherwise a jolly and likeable guy. Grew up playing and coaching football, but his nerd son influences him a good bit. He's joked that our working relationship is like Zapp Brannigan and Kif, which is a bit too spot on. It's just difficult sometimes to forget that his politics lean towards absolute garbage.

Back to Google Douche...
Mongrel wrote:Yeah, all the excerpts I've seen just read like a typical internet blowhard's shitposting.

Which is probably exactly what it is.

Shitposting with better language and less caps, yeah. Bullshit stinks, even when it's wearing a nice suit.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:11 am

Hardly Ideal wrote:

Not to dwell on it, but it's... complicated with him. He's otherwise a jolly and likeable guy. Grew up playing and coaching football, but his nerd son influences him a good bit. He's joked that our working relationship is like Zapp Brannigan and Kif, which is a bit too spot on. It's just difficult sometimes to forget that his politics lean towards absolute garbage.

Back to Google Douche...
Mongrel wrote:Yeah, all the excerpts I've seen just read like a typical internet blowhard's shitposting.

Which is probably exactly what it is.

Shitposting with better language and less caps, yeah. Bullshit stinks, even when it's wearing a nice suit.

Here's a good little advice piece about finding out you're dating a nazi. Working for one is probably similar. Even if he's nice and friendly towards you in particular right now, it's pretty uncomplicated that he's a fan of the racist, misogynist hate screed and its nazi author.

Grath

Postby Grath » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:29 am

Hardly Ideal wrote:Shitposting with better language and less caps, yeah. Bullshit stinks, even when it's wearing a nice suit.

We're talking about Google, even the lawyers wear t-shirts at Google. 95% of the time a suit is accompanied by a visitor badge.

Thad

Postby Thad » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:06 am

Brentai wrote:I'm trying to read this memo to actually understand the situation but it reads like a freshman essay and I can't for a second manage to work up an opinion beyond "Whatever the fuck this guy was supposed to be doing he was clearly very busy not doing it."

Twenty percenter.

sei

Postby sei » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:35 am

More women in tech stuff. Another perspective.

https://medium.com/the-mission/im-an-ex ... 008c5fe999

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Wonkette, fuck you for informing me that incel/"involuntary celibate" is a thing with its own subreddit.

And I'll bet these guys all think they're super-duper Alphas, even though they're triggered by women walking around in leggings.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:38 pm

You must've had some bizarre luck to avoid having heard of r/incels so far. Welcome to a wonderfully horrifying nightmare world.

You're actually off about the Alpha thing. These guys are the saddest of sad sacks. They DO believe in the Alpha/Beta bullshit, but actually claim the Beta title, fully embracing self-pity, hatred (both of themselves and others, mostly women), and uncomprehending bitterness.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:42 pm

It's really sad, because like ... they are legitimately miserable, for perfectly understandable reasons, but they've chosen to react to their loneliness and despair with projection and hostility, and just turned into this bitter circlejerk of hatred and (frequently) misogynist violence.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Yeah, coming across that subreddit was kind of funny at first, but it really isn't; it's just painful - and frightening.

McDohl

Postby McDohl » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:53 pm

I saw a documentary on incels and PUAs (Pick-up Artists) on YouTube a month back, and both groups are similar, and different in horrid ways.

Postby Newbie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:06 pm

What TA said, basically. We had a guy on another forum who self-identified as sort of the Platonic Ideal of incels. He could only relate to the world through the lens of anime. Gundam, specifically, on which he was exuberantly well-versed. Between that and the way he had to preface so many of his opinions with a recounting of his various social and physiological maladies, he was kind of a chore to interact with. He felt "bullied" by feminists or POC or somebody because he once got called out and they were not interested in recapitulating the history of civil rights and How Privilege Works even for somebody as damaged as he is, so he felt that as much as he "disagreed" with the alt-right that they were the only ones who would accept him. We bent over backwards to accommodate him and give him second chances, unlike the ban-on-sight GG trolls who he kept falling in with, but he did eventually leave to focus on Twitter and Reddit.

Cases like his are the main reason I feel really ambivalent about call-out culture; it's necessary to address transgressions somehow, and in his instance it may have just been hastening the inevitable, but I can't help but wonder if there had been a way to engage with him that didn't ultimately result in him tweeting screenshots of guys arguing that the proximity of the anus to the vagina means that women shouldn't make it so difficult to initiate sex.
tiny text

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:41 pm

McDohl wrote:I saw a documentary on incels and PUAs (Pick-up Artists) on YouTube a month back, and both groups are similar, and different in horrid ways.

I've long agreed that "pick-up artists" and "garbage men" should switch names.

Brantly B.
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Brantly B. » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Thing is they probably really do get picked on less for being irredeemable fucks than for being honest and forthcoming about their problems.

he felt that as much as he "disagreed" with the alt-right that they were the only ones who would accept him.

I truly believe that this is 80% of the modern day alt right. It functions as a cult in the most direct sense, and anti-cult tactics will work against it, starting with and most importantly not cutting trapped people off from the people who can help them.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Her Twitter stream is actually pretty good in general.

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:12 pm

A woman who spent a month taking selfies with assholes who catcall her.

Sounds like a good idea, but I really can't believe some of those guys. Like, they're actually smiling in some of those pictures.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 pm