MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: MIA: Our Fallen Brontos

Postby Mongrel » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:42 pm

My initial response was to say that I sure miss Arc... but really I miss many of the old gang.

I'm glad you guys are still around. All of you.

Postby Newbie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:57 am

I've been prone to romanticizing my earliest experiences with the web for almost as long as I've been using it—just today I was thinking about the dynamics of old java chatrooms and Nintendo's weird old summer-camp themed web events. It's as much a blessing as it is a curse that my memories are blurring more and more together with age, because it means I tend not to remember the numerous instances of flighty flakiness and personal catastrophe that stained entire chapters of my history here. I enjoy remembering the games and the projects and the threads that went well!

But yeah, the WFE was a pretty important part of my life even while things were careening off the rails, so y'all are stuck with me, even if that increasingly means I'm just following as many of you as I can across social networks and game delivery systems. (Meanwhile, the forum I used to begrudgingly frequent as a far inferior supplement to the Brontoforums continues to be a hotbed of game discussion, pointless snobbery, shitposting, trans support, media criticism, AND they made me a moderator for some reason? Justice exists, but it's lumpy.)
tiny text

Friday

Postby Friday » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:38 am

Not for nothing, ek2 and 3 were some of my best and favorite experiences here, and Newbie you were central to ek being/becoming a thing.

So I guess what I'm saying is thanks, you glorious bastard.

And thanks to everyone else who helped make ek 1, 2, and 3 happen, including the players.
ImageImageImage

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:13 am

we should get at least a comic replacement game going on for old times sake

also where's squizzle

sei

Postby sei » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:15 am

People got old and ran out of gas or piss and vinegar.

I miss the Guildenstern apartment crew and the general vibe of the time. A lot of the more energetic people who didn't turn boring fucked off for more entertaining options.

Brentai's still funny, Thad's still Thad, and Sharkey hasn't been seen since he went out to get cigarettes.

So, it's still kind of the same place.

it means I tend not to remember the numerous instances of flighty flakiness and personal catastrophe that stained entire chapters of my history here.
Knorpse remembers.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:26 am

zaratustra wrote:we should get at least a comic replacement game going on for old times sake

Heck yeah! I need a reason to draw.

Postby Newbie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:32 am

zaratustra wrote:we should get at least a comic replacement game going on for old times sake

I'm in. Signups here, or shall we move this party to the Forum Games region?
tiny text

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:47 am

Newbie wrote:

I'm in. Signups here, or shall we move this party to the Forum Games region?

bllll alright

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=719

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:00 pm

also where's squizzle

Squizzle became a mod on Something Awful's funny politics forum. He seems to have gotten control over his drinking since the election.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:52 am

sei wrote:Thad's still Thad

I'll take it.

Yeah, posting a lot less these past weeks; it's mostly down to thumb pain. It's not hurting quite as much as it was, so hopefully I'm on the mend? We'll see. I'll try and keep on checking in, but I can't be my usual verbose self yet.

I've considered looking into dictation software but I don't think things are that bad yet. Light posting is better for me than trying to wrassle with the inevitable frustrations that would bring.

sei

Postby sei » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 am

Thad wrote:Yeah, posting a lot less these past weeks; it's mostly down to thumb pain. It's not hurting quite as much as it was, so hopefully I'm on the mend? We'll see. I'll try and keep on checking in, but I can't be my usual verbose self yet.

I've considered looking into dictation software but I don't think things are that bad yet. Light posting is better for me than trying to wrassle with the inevitable frustrations that would bring.

Shit. That sounds awful. I hope you feel better soon.

If it's any consolation, I did something stupid to my back. Aching geezer solidarity!

Grath

Postby Grath » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:30 am

Thad wrote:
sei wrote:Thad's still Thad

I'll take it.

Yeah, posting a lot less these past weeks; it's mostly down to thumb pain. It's not hurting quite as much as it was, so hopefully I'm on the mend? We'll see. I'll try and keep on checking in, but I can't be my usual verbose self yet.

Android's dictation is pretty decent, from what I've seen of my dad using it. It just makes you look like an absolute tool when you do it in public like he does.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:09 am

Ironically, I suspect the main culprit is the mice I've been using for the past 10 years to help with my wrist pain (a thumb trackball at work -- constant thumb movement -- and a VerticalMouse at home, which I grip pretty tightly with my thumb). Though the past 27 years of constantly pressing buttons with my right thumb probably haven't helped.

I've been using a thumb splint and switched back to regular old mice. Seems to be helping. Hope that doesn't make my wrist pain come back.

Briefly tried learning to mouse with my left hand; didn't like it. Even if I got the motor control down, keyboard shortcuts are designed with the assumption that you'll have your left hand on the keyboard and your right on the mouse; that's probably why I've never known anybody who used a mouse left-handed, even among left-handed people.

(There was one workstation at Intel that had six screens and a VerticalMouse for each hand. I never actually saw it in use but my mental image of the process resembles a hacker movie.)

Grath

Postby Grath » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:12 am

Thad wrote:Briefly tried learning to mouse with my left hand; didn't like it. Even if I got the motor control down, keyboard shortcuts are designed with the assumption that you'll have your left hand on the keyboard and your right on the mouse; that's probably why I've never known anybody who used a mouse left-handed, even among left-handed people.

Also mice with anything more than left/right/scrollwheel are blatantly handed, and if literally anyone else ever uses your computer, and... Also in my experience, if I got used to using something right-handed I can't use my left, so I started with mouse on the right (and right-handed scissors) so I can't handle going left.

(I'm very lucky that my right eye is dominant, so I can shoot guns right-handed.)

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:11 pm

I have arthritis in my mouse hand from time to time, especially my right index finger (GEE WHY WOULD THAT BE?) so I've trained myself to be able to use my right middle finger (basically shifting everything over one finger), or to use the mouse left-handed. I can game using the former, but the latter is only smooth enough for browsing.

sei

Postby sei » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:32 am

Mongrel wrote:I have arthritis in my mouse hand from time to time, especially my right index finger (GEE WHY WOULD THAT BE?) so I've trained myself to be able to use my right middle finger (basically shifting everything over one finger), or to use the mouse left-handed. I can game using the former, but the latter is only smooth enough for browsing.

Right, the too-much-fucking-Diablo technique.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:02 am

Hi Yeoz!

Whatcha been up to?

Dogstar

Postby Dogstar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:13 am

So whatever happened to that old Dogstar asshole from years gone by?

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:19 am

You can't be sirius!

Niku

Postby Niku » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:05 pm

fuck you