Netflix and Kill Me

malikial

Re: Netflix and Kill Me

Postby malikial » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:21 pm

Everyone knows I kinda didn't mind Iron Fist, I thought it was an average show and that isn't bad to me. But I actually liked The Defenders the no-spoiler version of why is that they play around Iron Fist being the weakest show pretty well.

The way that they do that is the make Danny Rand out to be a literal fuck up/goof who means well but has no actual idea what he's doing in the grand scheme of things and make the show kind of about him becoming less of an idiot because of the team helping him work through shit. There are literally scenes of people calling him an idiot and saying that he needs to start thinking before he does things and shit. Also, he gets some bromance scenes with Luke Cage. It's funny to me that the poorest/least socially acceptable guy and the rich kid are the 2 that get along the best but they have good on screen chemistry. I think that this Defenders is supposed to be like 2-3 years before they actually Gel into a TRULY effective team but there are sparks of what will make them capable of working together in the end.

Büge

Postby Büge » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:08 pm

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/bright ... 201909960/
It’s rare to see a movie so toxic that it manages to raise multiple red flags before the very first shot, but “Bright” is a special piece of work. As if the goofy crackle of blue magic that runs through the Netflix logo isn’t enough of a warning sign, that gag is followed by a card for a production company called “Trigger Warning Entertainment.” Just gonna go out on a limb and suggest that these might not be the best people to make a thinly veiled metaphor for America’s racial violence that starts with Will Smith swatting a rodent-like garden sprite and declaring that “Fairy lives don’t matter!” Lock and load, snowflakes!

oh my god

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Ohhh godddd

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:33 pm

Its your own fault for watching something written by Max Landis.

He's got some great elevator pitches, but has an aversion to world-building that could only come from deep childhood trauma caused by lego abuse. Also he accepts culpability about as well as Hillary Clinton, so I don't expect it to change any time soon.

Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Postby Mongrel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Well, it's also starring Will Smith, who isn't exactly known for his good sense in choosing what to appear in these days.

Blossom

Postby Blossom » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:22 pm

beatbandito wrote:Its your own fault for watching something written by Max Landis.

He's got some great elevator pitches, but has an aversion to world-building that could only come from deep childhood trauma caused by lego abuse. Also he accepts culpability about as well as Hillary Clinton, so I don't expect it to change any time soon.

He's also a serial rapist, so, that's fun.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:42 am

Stranger Things 2 ending spoilers:

It...seems like Paul Reiser should be in some kind of trouble, right? Like, (1) every single person under his command got killed and (2) his voice is on a recording that resulted in a major scandal, got the entire facility shut down, and resulted in criminal charges against senior DoE officials. It seems like maybe there should be some repercussions for him that don't involve smoothing out Eleven's paperwork and hanging out in a diner? I know that government officials sometimes fail upward, but this is ridiculous.

Friday

Postby Friday » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 am

I assume everyone in the government was just so relieved he wasn't playing Burke again that they let him off the hook.
ImageImageImage

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Papa was objectively evil, but if you stack up his administrative failures against Owens's, there's really no contest.

Under Burke, they lost track of at least two superpowered test subjects and set loose a Demogorgon that ate a teenage girl and a few of their guys, and also got embarrassed by a team of meddling kids. That's not a good look, sure. But Owens? Owens failed to notice crop failures all over Hawkins, centered around his own facility, and *further* failed to notice a network of tunnels running under the town, including said facility, as well as multiplying monsters which later used those tunnels to kill everyone in the building, and, on top of that, implicated his organization of serious criminal activity on tape, getting the lab shut down and inviting unwanted national scrutiny, surely including criminal charges and an investigation that will last for years. While it's easy to imagine how things could have gone even worse, it's hard to imagine Owens himself doing a worse job; about the only charitable thing you can say is that he didn't cause this mess, he inherited it from Burke.

I suppose it's possible that there's something going on that we're not seeing. Maybe the DoE is letting him off because he's keeping tabs on Eleven for them. Or maybe he's got a failsafe, some kind of dirt that will go public if he goes down. But none of that stuff is spelled out. Maybe it will be in season 3, but right now it feels a little half-baked.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:08 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:52 pm

Ever since he took to wearing that beard Dave aged like... 1000 years.

I mean, he actually looks fine. It's just the difference is so dramatic.

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:26 pm

Read the Following Only After Finishing Devilman Crybaby

"Will 'Devilman Crybaby' Return For Season 2?"

um.

MarsDragon

Postby MarsDragon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:01 am

I mean, they theoretically could do Devilman Lady or Violence Jack.

Bal

Postby Bal » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:25 am

First episode of Letterman is out. It's the Obama episode, and it's quite good.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Just finished The Good Place season 2 today.

This is literally the first sitcom I've watched more than 2-3 episodes of in probably over 20 years. Probably even the first TV show we're going to watch to completion in over 15 years for sure (other than The Prisoner last year and the full run of Monty Python nearly a decade ago).

I think it just presses all the right buttons. It's funny, it's wholesome without being 7th Heaven Christian TV Saccharine nonsense, it keeps you intellectually engaged trying to figure out what's going on or what will happen, so you're not just *watching* (a huge issue for me and TV shows), and... I actually care about the characters. They're decent, likeable people, even when they're being stupid and making mistakes (it's like... the opposite of Seinfeld!). Rooting for them feels clean.

It's a really clever, really fun show. Someone described it as Lost, but as a sitcom. But you know what? That actually works. I really recommend it.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:57 am

...I watched the first episode of Everything Sucks, and my main takeaway is...god dammit, I'm old enough that my generation has its own Wonder Years now.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:31 am

If all y'all haven't seen The Good Place yet, it is absolutely fantastic.

Niku

Postby Niku » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:56 am

It's a truism that watching The Good Place is good.

It's also a truism that rewatching The Good Place makes it even better. I went to re-watch the first episode a few days ago and ended up going through more than half the season again in a sitting.

(Or just follow Twitter people and comment threads that can show you just how fucking cleverly layered and foreshadowed the show is without all the time and energy yourself, that works too.)

zaratustra

Postby zaratustra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 am

I just want to say

yeah there's a lot of gay subtext and not-so-subtext between ryo and akira, fanfiction writers

but before going "omg they're so cute together" consider that one of them tore the other, literally, in half

that's not a healthy relationship

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:02 pm

It's that kind of will-they won't-they that makes them so cute.