Weather

Mongrel

Re: Weather

Postby Mongrel » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:36 am

Snow in the Sahara, reputedly over a foot deep in some places

^ Pretty pictures.

What's interesting about this isn't that it's new (it happens every ten years on average... though it's potentially happening more often), or that it's cold enough to snow (the Sahara regularly gets cold enough for snow during nighttime lows - that's the thing about deserts!), it's that it was wet enough for this to happen.

Büge

Postby Büge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Now I want a creamsicle.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am

I had an 8:00am doctor's appointment today. I drove there in the rain, which started sounding a bit too sharp and then was definitely ice by the time I parked. I came out an hour later to a half-inch of snow on everything. Driving home was nerve-wracking, and it was impossible to get into my driveway. I'm worried my car will get hit or snowed in on the street.

Then trying to get to work, my bus was detoured for the ice and hills, and some people came by in a minivan to take me to the transit center. I stepped on the apparently clear sidewalk and immediately slipped, then waited for another bus to take me the 15 minute walk to work. x_x I am emotionally drained from today's travel.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Ugh that's sounds pretty bad. I think that same system's about to hit us today - we're dropping about a degree (Celsius, so close to two degrees F) an hour right now. Gonna hit freezing in about an hour.

As long as the rain stops and stuff has time to try a little before the temps crash we should be okay... rain's petered off for now but the forecast says there'll be more, so I dunno how bad it's going to be. Gotta go downtown, but at least we're not gonna be in the mess that'll be the commuter traffic this evening.

Büge

Postby Büge » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm

It was raining, then the rain froze and became tiny pellets and now it's snowing.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Tonight's weather: Snowing, 6°F, chance of meteors.
http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/ ... ble_m.html

My friends and I saw the flash and couldn't explain it, but guessed possibly an exploding power line. Then a friend a mile away texted me about it and we got curious.