Mongrel
Location: There's winners and there's losers // And I'm south of that line

Re: Jernalism!

Postby Mongrel » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Recently, a man in Toronto was arrested on suspicion of being a serial killer preying on residents of Toronto's LBGTQ neighbourhood. Here is an image of the suspect:

Today the local right-wing rag ran that picture on their front page with the headline "BAD SANTA", which, I'm pretty sure, is a new low, even by the Sun's standards.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Hopefully you guys see this one before it gets deleted and the author fired. Just in case, I'm copying the text:

@EricLiptonNYT wrote:Impressive how articulate and well educated these kids are from this school. Obviously a good school. Another sad reason for yesterday's events. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/us/d ... oting.html

And not saying it would be less sad it there were poor kids, obviously. Just such a waste to see kids with so much opportunity before them wiped out.

Oh, buddy.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:14 am

Note from the Editors: As we were reporting this story, Newsweek Media Group fired Newsweek Editor Bob Roe, Executive Editor Ken Li and Senior Politics Reporter Celeste Katz for doing their jobs. Reporters Josh Keefe and Josh Saul were targeted for firing before an editor persuaded the company to reverse its decision. As we continued working on the story, we were asked to take part in a review process which, we ultimately learned, involved egregious breaches of confidentiality and journalism ethics. We believe that subjects of the story were shown parts of the draft, if not the entire piece, prior to publication by a company executive who should not have been involved in the process. At an on-the-record interview with the subjects of this story, a company official asked editors to identify confidential sources. On-the-record sources were contacted and questioned about their discussions with Newsweek Media Group reporters. We resisted their efforts to influence the story and, after learning of the review’s ethical failings, the reporters and editors involved in this story felt they would be forced to resign. At that point, a senior Newsweek Media Group executive said the company's owners would ensure independent review and newsroom autonomy going forward. This story was written and edited Tuesday, free of interference from company executives.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:28 pm

I don't even

nosimpleway

Postby nosimpleway » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:31 pm

Shiva is Jewish tradition, the first week of mourning when you lose a loved one.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Vox: Fox News analyst quits, rips network as a “propaganda machine” in letter to colleagues

In my view, Fox has degenerated from providing a legitimate and much-needed outlet for conservative voices to a mere propaganda machine for a destructive and ethically ruinous administration. When prime-time hosts--who have never served our country in any capacity--dismiss facts and empirical reality to launch profoundly dishonest assaults on the FBI, the Justice Department, the courts, the intelligence community (in which I served) and, not least, a model public servant and genuine war hero such as Robert Mueller--all the while scaremongering with lurid warnings of "deep-state" machinations-- I cannot be part of the same organization, even at a remove. To me, Fox News is now wittingly harming our system of government for profit.

As a Russia analyst for many years, it also has appalled me that hosts who made their reputations as super-patriots and who, justifiably, savaged President Obama for his duplicitous folly with Putin, now advance Putin's agenda by making light of Russian penetration of our elections and the Trump campaign. Despite increasingly pathetic denials, it turns out that the "nothing-burger" has been covered with Russian dressing all along. And by the way: As an intelligence professional, I can tell you that the Steele dossier rings true--that's how the Russians do things.. The result is that we have an American president who is terrified of his counterpart in Moscow.

That's some pretty scorched earth.

Mothra
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby Mothra » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 am

How the fuck do you decide to work for Fox News and not already understand all of this? He's writing this like it's some dark, hidden, whistle-blowing revelation and not the singular marching ideal of his employer's corporation since it's inception.

François

Postby François » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:50 am

Ehh, not everyone who is prepared to compromise their integrity for profit is prepared to compromise all of their integrity. It doesn't make the guy honorable, it just shows not everyone has the same breaking point (or has a breaking point at all).

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:54 am

It's self marketing. If you're leaving a station like FOX for anything but a better paying job at Breitbart then you'll have a hard time finding work as "some schmuck from FOX", but "the guy who tore fox a new one" will be a lukewarm commodity for at least a few days.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Well, to give the guy a LITTLE credit, I don't think his target landing pad is Breitbart.

Cait

Postby Cait » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:27 pm

One of his main jobs on Fox was to call out Obama for being too soft on Putin. Turns out he valued consistency more than being a hypocrite with a job.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Not creepy at all!

Yoji

Postby Yoji » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:41 pm

I was wondering about those must-run segments, has anyone thought about playing them at incomprehensible speed?

"Hey, we aired it. You just have to listen to it in slow motion."

I've also heard some stations have gotten away with airing them at 3am when nobody is watching.
Image: Mention something from KPCC or Rachel Maddow
Image: Go on about Homeworld for X posts

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:04 pm

Apparently, RedState purged all of its insufficiently pro-Trump writers today.

Mongrel

Postby Mongrel » Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 pm

I do kind of feel like I want to give the benefit of the doubt on this one, that someone was using some pie chart generator and selected for three options, but didn't hit "calculate" or the equivalent thereof.

It's using orange for an Irish poll that's the truly unforgivable oversight.

Silversong

Postby Silversong » Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 am

Mongrel wrote:I do kind of feel like I want to give the benefit of the doubt on this one

Agreed, but the numbers also don't add up to 100%.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu May 17, 2018 11:38 am

This is the sort of auto-generated chart I get harangued over.