Hot game deals

Thad

Re: Hot game deals

Postby Thad » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:54 pm

The tutorial area from Hitman is now free. (It's not the complete first episode; the first episode has two areas.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:39 am

Killing Floor is currently free at the Humble Store.

Postby Newbie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:26 am

If you find yourself listing due to the siren song of the Steam Summer Sale, you may find a corrective antidote in the Steam Calculator.

tiny text

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:42 am

Anyone have thoughts or opinions on Tyranny? Comments are a back-and-forth of decisions actually being railroaded and shallow, or others claiming the original complainer just didn't get what was happening or didn't choose the right dialogue options. Making it hard to determine which ones are the dumb babbies and which ones have legitimate points.

This would be a much easier decision if combat was ever a drawing point in these isometric squad strategy games. What happened to the generation of Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath and the good Dungeon Sieges? Is the deal interesting combat in a setting that gets boring an hour in, or great world building with a combat system that requires you base your group on minmaxing abilities and not story flavor?

Joxam
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Joxam » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Tyranny is really really good. The only 'problem' with it is its about maybe 20-30 hours long depending on how completionist you are and they kinda expect you to fail a few times before you get through it. Once you make your mistakes and figure out the 'style' of game it is though it is a very good game.

The problem I'm having here is that most of the things you can fuck up are story shit that I don't want to spoil you on. Suffice it to say you have to consider exactly what you are when you start the game and not what you think you might be from playing other games.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Humble Store has a Final Fantasy sale.

There appear to be substantial efforts to de-uglify FF6PC, if that's the sort of thing anybody's interested in checking out. It's fascinating stuff; apparently the PC game is just a wrapper around the GBA ROM, which of course leaves it pretty open to modding.

(The "replace with original sprites" mod is still ongoing, but it looks like there are mods to remove the smeary filter and aspect ratio stretching.)

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:31 am

GOG has a "big deal" sale on. Abe's Oddysee is free and a bunch of games are marked down; I think I'll get Wonder Boy for 20% off.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Outlast free at Humble, but it's in its last 2 hours; sorry about the late notice.

Remember to activate your Steam key after you get it, or it'll expire.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Halloween sales on at Humble, GOG, and Steam.

Thad

Postby Thad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Brutal Legend free in the Humble Store.

Thad

Postby Thad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 pm

GOG has a winter sale on. Grim Fandango Remastered is currently free.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:20 am

So, is Mass Effect Andromeda fun?

It's only ten bucks used at this point. I'm not expecting a good story or a lack of glitches, but they at least didn't manage to make the game play worse than ME2, right?

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:14 pm

beatbandito wrote:So, is Mass Effect Andromeda fun?

It's only ten bucks used at this point. I'm not expecting a good story or a lack of glitches, but they at least didn't manage to make the game play worse than ME2, right?

It's fine. No aspect of it is better than the previous trilogy but the core components of Mass Effect arranged in a new game are worth ten bucks even if that game is a degenerate version of what came before. The combat's solid though I wish there were more of it.

The multiplayer would have been a direct improvement on the superlative ME3 multiplayer if they hadn't shaken up the reward structure to generate more microtransactions.

Copen

Postby Copen » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:29 pm

Switch eShop is having a sale until 2/1.
https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:45 pm

pacobird wrote:
beatbandito wrote:So, is Mass Effect Andromeda fun?

It's fine. No aspect of it is better than the previous trilogy but the core components of Mass Effect arranged in a new game are worth ten bucks even if that game is a degenerate version of what came before. The combat's solid though I wish there were more of it.

The multiplayer would have been a direct improvement on the superlative ME3 multiplayer if they hadn't shaken up the reward structure to generate more microtransactions.

Yeah I've given it some time at this point (almost in spite of being told it had no value in #FF) and it's definitely not a complete write-off. I would even say some of the complaints are overblown and there are moments that play, and even may be scripted, as well as you would expect from a Mass Effect Sequel.

IMO it's worth playing, just close your eyes during the opening narrative crawl and imagine it says "The Andromeda Initiative set out to find new worlds, under threat of a giant space goat".

pacobird

Postby pacobird » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:48 pm

I definitely appreciate the attempt to bring some actual exploration back in the mix, even if the result is the kind of superficial open world that just involves driving from points A to B with no real incentive for anything you could really call "exploration".

The biggest problem I run into whenever I feel like buckling down and finishing it (other than the obvious problem that there's just always a better game to play) is that the best part of Andromeda is easily the combat so after 20 minutes of dithering about in the Nomad and awkwardly hitting on Suvi I just switch over to the Multiplayer again.

beatbandito

Postby beatbandito » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:43 pm

Look, I'm not saying you're wrong to romance Suvi. Just that she might not be able to fully comprehend when she's being taken advantage of.

Thad

Postby Thad » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:22 pm

Attack of the Earthlings is reverse XCOM (you play as the aliens).

Gaming on Linux says it's good but short and easy.

I don't see buying it right now (since I still haven't finished my Enemy Within run of XCOM or started XCOM 2), but for those interested, it's currently 10% off on Steam since it just launched.

Thad

Postby Thad » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 am

GOG's got a sale on, including some flash deals and free King of Fighters '02 (which I've read is just the arcade ROM with an emulator).

Thad

Postby Thad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Steam sale time again.

I haven't played XCOM 2 yet. Should I get the expansion or any of the DLC before I do?