Computerus

Thad

Computerus

Postby Thad » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:03 am

I've suspected for awhile that the issues I've been having with OpenSUSE aren't actually OpenSUSE problems but signs of a failing drive.

They are entirely consistent with what I'd expect from a failing hard drive -- occasionally corrupt files, frequent issues fixed by either an fsck or reinstalling a program/recreating a conf file/etc.

But here's the thing: it's not on a spinning-platter drive, it's on an SSD.

This is my first SSD, and it's salvage. (Got it from a broken laptop at an old job; it wasn't reusable in one of the newer laptops because it uses a weird-ass connector* instead of standard SATA. Fits fine in a desktop with an adapter and a caddy, but wouldn't work in another laptop.) So I'm no expert. But my understanding is that SSD's don't fail the same way that disk drives do, that they don't get a few bad sectors with minor issues that slowly spread but are instead likely to just fail all at once. Is that accurate? And if so and we can eliminate the "slowly failing drive with minor corruption" possibility, what else could it be?

The next thing I'm inclined to suspect is the two adapters. That many extra potential points of failure always make my nose twitch. Trouble is it's a bit tricky to troubleshoot. As it happens I DO have another similar (but smaller) drive with the same two adapters, so I guess I could swap any one or two of the three parts out (or even all three -- putting different HD's in different computers) and see how they behave. But I really don't have that kind of time right now.

Fortunately I've got a perfectly functional secondary boot of Debian/XFCE. But it's irritating not being able to run my main OS, sometimes for days or even weeks at a time. And I DO like OpenSUSE, when it works, and if the problem is my hardware and not OpenSUSE, I'd quite like to stick with it. (And, conversely, if the problem is OpenSUSE and not my hardware, I'd like to determine that for sure and use that drive for something else.)

Probably the best solution is just to save pennies until I can buy a new SSD and answer my question definitively then. But this has been a pretty tough month for bills (wife sick, dog sick, brakes going -- it's like a city-boy version of a country song) and that won't be happening right away.

Anyway, suggestions wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, I'll keep on doing what I'm doing and hoping the next reboot will be the reboot home.

* that is not my specific drive, but it has a good photo of the connector I'm talking about.

Classic

Re: Computerus

Postby Classic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Do you know how old the SSD is?
Iirc, there's a point where SSD lifespan increased dramatically. And I'd guess, if lifespan improves, late-life performance also changes, but...

Yeah, if you actually want to zero in on this problem you'll need to test and retest.

IGNORE ME
Woah Dangsaurus

Postby IGNORE ME » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:34 pm

I'm not sure the title of this topic means what you think it does.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:52 pm

ITT: Hatsune Miku gets teen pregnant.

patito

Postby patito » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:02 pm

I can probably find a picture of that.

Classic

Postby Classic » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Is Miku even a teenager?

TedBelmont

Postby TedBelmont » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:55 pm

According to Wikipedia(I swear I had to look this up), her official age is 16.

Caithness

Postby Caithness » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Suspiciously Specific Denial

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:50 am

That's my favorite Hamiku song.

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:11 pm

I couldn't find anything through Google, and I'm assuming there's just no way to do it right now, but on the off chance:
Is there a way to make animated GIFs load-on-demand? I've seen some server-side processing to make the animation not start until hover, but everything still just downloads all at once.

sei

Postby sei » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:44 pm

Rico wrote:I've seen some server-side processing to make the animation not start until hover, but everything still just downloads all at once.
Go client-side.

For all your gifs, extract a keyframe to use as a static image until animated versions are loaded. Serve the page with those referenced in img tags. Then, load animated gifs on mouseover via js in response to hover.

Example of JS on-demand loading of a gif on mouseover from a StackOverflow thread.

Checking in Chrome dev tools -> Resources -> Frames -> jsfiddle.net -> result(fiddle.jshell.net) -> Images, I don't see the gif image being loaded until mouseover.

So, I think this is what you want.

Something similar could be done with just CSS :hover behavior, but I expect optimized browsers might be more eager to pre-load the GIFs early when using that method.

Rico

Postby Rico » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks a lot, couldn't for the life of me punch the right search terms into Google but that appears to work perfectly.

Niku

Postby Niku » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:57 pm

So my internet seems to have intermittent hiccups as of the past few days, dropping skype calls, kicking me out of games, etc. Is there an easy way to test when / how often it happens or what might be causing it on a program level? Something I can run that just goes HEY, THIS PROGRAM JUST TRIED TO FUCK Y'ALL UP or anything?

sei

Postby sei » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:41 am

Rico wrote:Thanks a lot, couldn't for the life of me punch the right search terms into Google but that appears to work perfectly.

No prob.

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:26 am

Great just what i always wanted, another browser that looks just like Chrome. And I had just switched to Firefox to get away from Opera which switched to being Chrome's handicap-able cousin.

patito

Postby patito » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Oh hey, I remember when browsers came with accounts, I still use my netscape email regularly enough.

sei

Postby sei » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:35 am

They copy all that Chrome look shit, but skip the fucking Omnibar?

mozla pls

Smiler
Imperisaurus Rex

Postby Smiler » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm really hoping that there's an option to not use the new UI. I think I did read something about legacy themes.

Disposable Ninja

Postby Disposable Ninja » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:23 pm

The first two components of my project arrived today: the Power Supply and the RAM.
For the White Witch!

sei

Postby sei » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:48 am

pcpartpicker part list or gtfo